The Corroboree
Auxin

Peres Power Cord

Ok, I've seen several impressive pics of Trichocereus spp. that had been grafted onto Pereskiopsis and got a years worth of intense growth. Naturally the problem is a little pereskiopsis can only supply the water/nutrient needs of a Trich for so long, but before it reaches that size limit the peres seems to help greatly with the growth.

So I had a frikkin idea, I call it a 'pereskiopsis power cord' basically side-graft a pereskiopsis plant onto a trich that has its own roots, the peres would inject raw growing power into the side of little pedro.

cord.jpg

Somethin like that. Whatcha think?

(Thank you CS for loaning me the cinder block)

As you said a wacky idea, sounds good in theory :D

yeah nice, you could add heaps of them like some freakin crazy mad cactus__DNA bot thing with power cords

HIDOKEN

cool, im might just give it a go....just wondering how you would get the sap flowing up not sideways :scratchhead:

sounds like a sweet idea.. I like the little bug in the diagram too :lol:

Maybe you could do it with an normally grafted scion that has outgrown the rootstock and started shooting roots of its own, and just bury the Pereskiops with the Trich? Instead of cutting it off that is...

Like the scion in this post:

[topic=http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13947]http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13947[/topic]

But maybe planned ahead by grafting onto a much shorter rootstock?

Although I guess it's not quite the same... and roots grown by the scion would probably take over eventually...

(EDIT: Bah! can't make the friggin link work.... can someone explain to me how to make this computer interweb thing work?)

Edited by philistine

how would you side graft a peres though?
I was thinking like cut a 90° wedge out of the cactus right over a areole and cut the top of the peres as a 90° wedge and stick them together so the vascular tissue on the top side of the pereskiopsis wedge meets up with vascular tissue on the top side of the wedge cut into the trich or... like... cut a bigger wedge 90-120° into the trich and cut the peres flat on top and meet up the peres vascular ring to the vascular ring on the top side of the wedge in the trich.

Something this experimental obviously wouldnt be without risks so dont try it on Echinopsis nearlyextincta and complain to me if it gets it infected :P

I like the little bug in the diagram too :lol:
:lol: thanks (I had to put something cute by frankensteins monster to show its sensitive side :wink: )
Maybe you could do it with an normally grafted scion that has outgrown the rootstock and started shooting roots of its own, and just bury the Pereskiops with the Trich?
hmm, well if the peres was burried it couldnt photosynthesize and wouldnt add nearly as much vigor... But if the graft were trained so the scion end could be planted and the stock would come back out of the soil and like have leaves and stuff, then go to its own pot (so they arent competing) that should work for a while at least, until the trich grew enough at the base to break the bond. No visible scar that way.

Test http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...showtopic=13947

aha, when it does that just paste in the addy and it'll make it into a link when it posts

Edited by Auxin

there are pictures at the nook of hydroponic lophs, essentially peres grafts where the stock is really small so all you see is the loph with the peres roots, can be grown in a hydro setup and quick to.

Interesting idea, but how do you convince the trich that it's areole is now an input and not an output, if you get my meaning?

Transformation of an areole from output to input takes place naturally if you bury the areole (it will shoot out roots), but I've never heard of it happening to a trich with healthy rootsystem?

Maybe it would just work though... worth a shot. Are peres bendy enough to do the right angle corner as depicted?

Hydro lophs :lol: those nookers do get fancy.

Its not really making an areole into 'input', more just using that spot as a convenient spot to cut down into the vascular ring from, as for input vs output thats why I emphasized getting the peres to connect to the vascular tissue on the upper side of the wedge made by cutting oput the areole, that side is sucking sap up and the peres would be pushing sap up so... should act as a extra root ball.

It wouldnt be hard to bend a peres like that, you just would have to do it over time and not all in one minute/day/week. Maby topping one off and training one of the pups would be the most stable route. If other branches were left on it could be of even greater benefit...

cord2.jpg

like that

Needs zoomed in closeup of the join, showing cut-away with vascular paths :)

:lol: I think you just like my drawings

cord3.jpg

like that

i dont think input output is a problem, i graft the roots of lophs upside down, that requires a complete reversal of where the stuff comes in. If you let the peres grow then the energy will go into its tip rather then the graft.

Maby topping one off and training one of the pups would be the most stable route.

This just happened by itself, seems to be what you'd want though.post-1697-1178425172_thumb.jpg

post-1697-1178425172_thumb.jpg

post-1697-1178425172_thumb.jpg

That is 'tres cute' 'yawl

nice 1 auxin

It'll be a little while before I can try it on one. I have a E. pachanoi basically ready (as well as a control group, several months ago I split my largest seed grown E. pachanoi into 5 plants, two sections look nearly identical) but I'm still in the process of rooting cuttings off my new peres, so it'll have to root out and grow a bit first.

Thats the coolest idea I've seen in a long time. Imagine having 4-5 graphs like this into 1 log under lights :drool2: .

Tubo charge your cacti! I gotta try this :lol:

Preliminary test run on the power cord grafting has survived the first 7 days with no apparent rejection or pupping on the peres :)

What I did was to graft a T. terscheckii seedling to a skinny lil T. pachanoi, naturally it spent a few months just getting fatter and fatter, after it stopped getting fatter and started growing taller I grafted a pereskiopsis into the side below the union of pachanoi to terscheckii by cutting an areole out in a 7 shaped incision and supporting the cut peres against the upper angle.

it may be another two weeks before its truly clear if the graft will hold and function as hoped.

post-146-1190669666_thumb.jpg

terpachpwrcrd.jpg

terpachpwrcrd.jpg

Looks great, hope it joins right.

Will be interesting to hear how this union affects the initial graft scion.

Hey Auxin, this is an awesome idea and I'm really excited to see if this works... :lol:

Keep us updated and good luck!

Very cool Mr Auxin. :rolleyes:

bizzare :blink:

if only i could get a loph to take on one id be stoked.sorry to hijack but in a hydro set up is there any need to make an imediate humidity zone around the union or is just making the whole hydro adequately humid enough for grafting? what % humidity is most beneficial?

A truly inspiring idea,hope it works so I can copy the model.

Respect!!