The Corroboree
Coschi

MELBOURNE FINDS !!!!

Very grateful to finally be presented with the opportunity to take some photos down here. Apologies for my terrible camera work everything seems to be yellow (and gee am I too lazy to go through them all and fix them up).

Anyway, while having witnessed most of these macroscopic variations in Sydney patches, I was really blown away by the variation presented by Victorian specimens. Knobbly stems, 20cm high specimens, wavy caps (not present at all in NSW as far as I've seen), aborted pins that are almost fluorescent blue, specimens growing out of or in the vicinity of pony poo, and the sheer volume of fruit-set!.

Amazing, beautiful, LOVERLY!

Was very lovely to be out of the city enjoying fresh air blown right from the ocean with some good friends.

post-861-1245589979_thumb.jpg

post-861-1245589993_thumb.jpg

post-861-1245590004_thumb.jpg

post-861-1245590018_thumb.jpg

post-861-1245590034_thumb.jpg

This one below was approx 12cm tall!

post-861-1245590047_thumb.jpg

post-861-1245590085_thumb.jpg

post-861-1245590177_thumb.jpg

post-861-1245590191_thumb.jpg

post-861-1245590286_thumb.jpg

post-861-1245590296_thumb.jpg

post-861-1245590327_thumb.jpg

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

IMG_1233.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

IMG_1233.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

Edited by apothecary

The last pic is my favorite...truly beautiful...there is nothing can match the high of being out in mother nature...if there is one addiction I wish never to break it is being in the wild as often as possible.

H.

went for a little hunt the other day around sydney area to a place where i found some decent patches about a month ago and found absolutely no subs!? there was certainly enough rain in the area so i was a bit confused.

i thought maybe someone had come along and ravished the patches dry that same day or something? i did find some mushrooms that looked extremely similar to subs, but had slight variations to what i had previously found and wasnt confident enough to make a positive ID.

i was wondering what might cause such a thing to happen? are sub hunters really that common? some of the other mushrooms i found their caps looked so much like subs it was scary, but had things like really dark brown stems sometimes even a little black and then i couldnt see any sign of bluing or black spores, one had darkish brown spores, but no bluing and stem was not subbish at all (from my experience). maybe some of the things i found where dried out subs which had been rained on..? but then there were others which were definately fresh. in some of those pics above the stems look a bit dark, is it worth printing such mushrooms even if the stems are really brownish? do subs ever variate like that or are their other species of mushrooms which mimic sub caps to that extent?

Edited by mardybum

Don't underestimate the olfactory sense, smell is often a reliable extra measure for identifying fungoids.

If in doubt, toss 'em. Imo there's no mistaking the real deal....

Im guessing Sandringham or Mornington area?

:)

but had things like really dark brown stems sometimes even a little black and then i couldnt see any sign of bluing or black spores, one had darkish brown spores, but no bluing and stem was not subbish at all (from my experience). maybe some of the things i found where dried out subs which had been rained on..? but then there were others which were definately fresh. in some of those pics above the stems look a bit dark, is it worth printing such mushrooms even if the stems are really brownish? do subs ever variate like that or are their other species of mushrooms which mimic sub caps to that extent?

Black spores? I think you need to beef up on the simple parameters which define this species before asking these sorts of questions...

went for a little hunt the other day around sydney area to a place where i found some decent patches about a month ago and found absolutely no subs!? there was certainly enough rain in the area so i was a bit confused.

i thought maybe someone had come along and ravished the patches dry that same day or something? i did find some mushrooms that looked extremely similar to subs, but had slight variations to what i had previously found and wasnt confident enough to make a positive ID.

i was wondering what might cause such a thing to happen? are sub hunters really that common? some of the other mushrooms i found their caps looked so much like subs it was scary, but had things like really dark brown stems sometimes even a little black and then i couldnt see any sign of bluing or black spores, one had darkish brown spores, but no bluing and stem was not subbish at all (from my experience). maybe some of the things i found where dried out subs which had been rained on..? but then there were others which were definately fresh. in some of those pics above the stems look a bit dark, is it worth printing such mushrooms even if the stems are really brownish? do subs ever variate like that or are their other species of mushrooms which mimic sub caps to that extent?

Its funny just how much variation there is appearance wise (with any species for that matter)

If you go through this entire topic from page 1, ( awesome topic!! u can gauge roughly when the season has fired up for the last 3 years ) and take mental notes you will see that almost every different spot has a different looking type of sub.

But obviously, iding skills span states too!! Apoth has done very well getting some pics of subs on one of his first hunts in vic. ( i'm a south east resident and i havent even found them down that way yet!! )

Yeah I agree with you GH so much variation in subs some that I have seen look like australianas growing right next to subs! Love the wavey caps they look cool. Has been a bumper season this year

Edited by sharxx101

i know that sub spores can vary from brown to purple but they are basically black or dark.

i was more wondering if it was normal for other non-active species to mimic the cap of a sub so well, or if other hunters had come across such variations in subs.

i agree stitches ime when you find subs you know it. but thanks for the other replies i guess those mushrooms are still worth investigating.

I came across these guys at a new park I found last week in the Yarra Valley.

post-3565-1248489487_thumb.jpgpost-3565-1248489423_thumb.jpgpost-3565-1248489359_thumb.jpg

Not much happening elsewhere unfortunately.

post-3565-1248489359_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1248489423_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1248489487_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1248489359_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1248489423_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1248489487_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shroomeup

If anyone was actually good enough with that microscope of theirs,

I reckon we'd notice how many different substrains actually exist under our heading 'subearuginosa'.

There's a guy in the states whose comparing different ovoid spores, and has found 3 very distinct substrains.

I reckon i'v identified at least 5 very specific macro differences in subs.

Someone should be isolating and stabilising the different substrains :(

Like, 'us' maybe :) lol

Bump.

I think I just realised how much fun I was missing out on!!! ~ Seems like I gotta move to Melbourne after reading some of these posts... like, WOW.

SWIM tells me some of those critters go for $20/g round here, and then you can never get them anyway..

WOW! How have I not seen this thread! Pure awesomenessauce!

No kidding, We're missing out, mate. BANGHEAD2.gif

Edited by ButterBricks