The Corroboree
Coschi

MELBOURNE FINDS !!!!

evening ladies and gents, on the topic of hunting for subs, or shrooms of any kind. i only go looking down on the mornington peninsula, in mt martha and somerville around where i work. subs are fucking prevelent in that area, i work in the middle of heaps of farmland, and most of the propertys are lined with heaps of pine trees, so ill go for a mission with my new german shepherd puppy and take her on a big adventure and she loves it and i keep my eyes peeled for mushies, my pup hunts em out before i do sometimes hahaha. ill just drive around to new random spots, the subs are well in excess of what is needed, and ive never found anything else. in all of the places i have found em bar 1, they have been growing around and in this fresh new 3 leaf clover grass, growing in the pine needles. i found em growin in the pine needles on the very edge of the dirt road where i work, over about 50 meters. all solitary, not in groups. so if your up for a bit of a mission i would suggest takin a drive down to somerville or these neck of the woods!! on another note, what is the average strength of subs picked from the outdoors compared to say cubensis or cyanescens??

party on wayne

party on garth

BUMP

2009!!

Soooooo, has anyone had any melbourne finds yet???? hmmmm, still feels a little warm.

If it pisses down tonight and tommorrow i'm going too checkout Glen Waverly and surounding areas on sunday (its wet today, but only lightly been raining) .

But it still feels too warm, havernt had one of those cripsy, still, freezing & wet nights yet..

I remeber a couple of years back, 2006 24th april was well and truly into the season, saw heaps by now.

Happy hunting

check here

not much happening in melbourne yet but we arent too far off

For the Tasmanian Hunters,

People on the NW Coast in particular.

I went out earlier today & found one of my local patches was fruiting! B)

Collected about 40 subs in various stages of maturity.

Taken From Decaying Eucalypt debris & 8 Inch deep Blackwood/Eucalypt sawdust piles that were put in place last season.

In the same patch, There were many others that looked to be around a week or 2 old & some older ones decaying.

And also @ the same patch & in two more close by were Hundreds of tiny Pins around 1cm to 1 inch just poking their heads up out of the ground litter!

It is hard not to trample the delicate beauties if one is not cautious :(

So Get out there folks, Theres Boomers in them thar Hills :shroomer::lol:

Also, It Would be great if Any other NW Coasters or Tassie Friends here that have any news or had anyluck could reply & share your info! or PM me to chat about the subject! :)

Pics to follow soon!

Edited by DreamingNagual

Any time now, i can feel it B)

It's been at least three years I reckon since we've had such a promising start to the season in Melbourne weather-wise. :)

Walked around some local spots today, saw a couple of fresh non-actives and some subs that looked to be quite old. Only a very small patch (6 mushies) in a spot that isnt affected my the weather so much, usually has very high humidity regardless.

post-4271-1240919958_thumb.jpg

Theres a report over at the shroomery that melbourne is firing, someone found 200g wet. Should be popping up everywhere soon.

checked both my local patch and my dive to patch ( 30 min drive )

and found feck all! a patch of gallerinas and little to no other fungi!

its been wet as a dewgongs sack down here aswell!

:(

It's been at least three years I reckon since we've had such a promising start to the season in Melbourne weather-wise. :)

Yep agree, lets just hope the rain keeps up and we get a good soaking, even when it has looked good the last couple of years it was fleeting in the end.

went for a walk today in the eastern suburbs and found a patch of 20 or so tiny little subs. left my camera at home so no pics unless i can work out how to get them off my phone. i had a look at some of last years patches and they havent started fruiting yet.

awesome genki, I was hoping it had started already. Im headin down rye way this weekend for a hunt, im lookn forward to it even more now. WOOOOOOOOO

just got back from an early morning walk in north-west melbourne suburbs...found a bunch of mushrooms all over the place, most growing from or beside chopped tree trunks. i'm new to this so i've got no idea what any of them are, but i'll try and get some pics up asap. i think i found three different types...one was rather small with an orange/caramel-y coloured cap, the other reminded me of lemon sorbet - its cap was white with a faint wash of yellow, and the last was a lot larger than the previous two - white with quite a tall stem and i'm not sure, but its bruising a dark colour...maybe blue? from what i've heard, that's essentially what i should be hoping for :P

down rye way ay, i hope to go down there soon too as a mate is moving down that way, i had no idea that is a place to have alook? its getting exciting, season is going to be good if this keeps up i reckon.

im gonna have a look this weekend in the city when i go in for the meet

Yeh prolly in around athurs seat NP hebs, not too sure yet, plenty of spots to look down that way. Phillip island is an awesome spot too if ya ever get around there!

cool i will get onto it in the future. sure yowie will be keen to hear this.

Hi thomas dylan, "white with quite a tall stem and i'm not sure, but its bruising a dark colour...maybe blue? from what i've heard, that's essentially what i should be hoping for"

This doesnt sound like a Sub at all,

Does it have a ring around the stalk? What colour are the Gills?

Just a guess, Does it look similar to these pics

post-16-1241056616_thumb.jpg

post-16-1241056653_thumb.jpg.

This is Not a Sub and could be deadly if consumed.

You mentioned the first fungi had an orange/caramel coloured cap? Subs have a similar colour cap and a pithy, Hollow, White to off white stem that both stain blue after picking or rough handling!

post-16-1241057256_thumb.jpg

This is just a quick point in the right direction, Please dont anyone consider consuming any fungi untill it is properly Identified by someone who knows what they are doing, Not just from pictures or the fact that a fungus Stains Blue, Or any other colour for that matter!

Cheers.

post-16-1241056653_thumb.jpg

post-16-1241056653_thumb.jpg

Edited by DreamingNagual

Hi thomas dylan, "white with quite a tall stem and i'm not sure, but its bruising a dark colour...maybe blue? from what i've heard, that's essentially what i should be hoping for"

This doesnt sound like a Sub at all,

Does it have a ring around the stalk? What colour are the Gills?

Just a guess, Does it look similar to these pics

post-16-1241056653_thumb.jpg.

This is Not a Sub and could be deadly if consumed.

You mentioned the first fungi had an orange/caramel coloured cap? Subs have a similar colour cap and a pithy, Hollow, White to off white stem that both stain blue after picking or rough handling!

This is just a quick point in the right direction, Please dont anyone consider consuming any fungi untill it is properly Identified by someone who knows what they are doing, Not just from pictures or the fact that a fungus Stains Blue, Or any other colour for that matter!

Cheers.

thanks for the info and heads up!! the orange/caramel caps look very similar to the image you posted. i've had a look around on the forum, here are some other pics they look like:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...ost&id=6211

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/uplo...13_47_45311.jpg

especially the way in which they were growing...big clumps of them growing together, seemingly from one origin. most of the caramels i found were growing from the base of tree stumps, or within a metre of a tree stump. the white mushrooms i found looked sort of like this:

https://www.stockphotopro.com/photo-thumbs-...te_mushroom.JPG

but i'm pretty sure they didn't have the annulus and were smooth-capped, not bumpy. but aaanyway i wouldn't dare eat anything i found. not my cup of tea so to speak - but i'm sure somebody would love to, so thank you for the information. haha ;)

I checked out a local patch this morning and was surprised how many had popped up over the last week or so. Should be a good season by the look of things.

post-3565-1241410521_thumb.jpg post-3565-1241410589_thumb.jpg post-3565-1241410652_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1241410690_thumb.jpg post-3565-1241410725_thumb.jpg post-3565-1241410764_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1241410521_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1241410589_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1241410652_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1241410690_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1241410725_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1241410764_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1241410521_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1241410589_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1241410652_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1241410690_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1241410725_thumb.jpg

post-3565-1241410764_thumb.jpg

Beautiful shots man,jeeze you buggers are spoilt down there.24'c in syd this arvo :scratchhead: where is winter?

ahh nicely done. where in vic are you shroomeup? i live out sunbury way and i can't find squat. i came across an amanita muscaria and a couple of other little fellas but since then, i haven't been able to find anything...except dug up holes in the pine needles. which sucks major ass, especially considering i get down there at 6am :(

Cheers fellas.

DT, I'm in the outer eastern suburbs mate.:wink:

yeah nice one shroomeup, i seem to remember that patch seems the thickness is still with them :D

thanks for sharing.

Nice finds mate.

Congrats on the finds guys. :drool2:

Went for a good long walk with a mate on sunday and found an absolute crap load of Leratiomyces ceres (Stropharia aurantiaca) growing in wood chip beds and lots of other mushrooms near by that we couldnt ID, around 8 different species, no actives. Saw a heap more subs today where I found the first lot. :lol:

I'd recomend anyone planning to have a look in the next week to try heading east or south east as there has been about twice as much rain out that way. Check out this rainfall map from BOM. If you hover over the spots it gives detailed information.

Happy hunting !