The Corroboree
Coschi

MELBOURNE FINDS !!!!

Pics courtesy of a foaf, taken this morning. Shame you couldn't make this one SM :(

:drool2::shroomer:

i think its more akin to picking an apple with a little bit of twig or maybe a leaf attached.. :P

but theyre apples an oranges really,.. it really is better to cut the stems at the ground because then you leave any developing primordia to develop and you can come back and photograph them a couple of days later!

Agreed, I see no major harm in the practice - after-all it's a fungus, so if you cut the stem butt off and bury it 10 metres away from where you found the first one you are only helping to spread the love.

Collect all your stem butts and bury them in a completely different spot altogether and you hopefully start a new patch!

I never knew that, thanks mate, although I had wondered about shaking spores over woodchip beds. Perhaps I should spread the love to a park near my house :wub:

after-all it's a fungus, so if you cut the stem butt off and bury it 10 metres away from where you found the first one you are only helping to spread the love.

i gather from people who grow them at home that this fungus requires a lot ov care & attention to grow, damaging the mycelium & opening it up to 'infection' doesn't seem like a good idea.

on a practical note pinching rather than pulling means you don't end up w/soil all over your shrooms.

-double post-

Edited by The Dude

on a practical note pinching rather than pulling means you don't end up w/soil all over your shrooms.

True dat. Probably the best reason to pick em cleanly, avoid that crunchy aspect when eating.

However I got this nagging thought that says pick the whole fruit, dont be snapping half the stem off. When the stem is snapped, there is a residual stump, covering up that spot for potential future fruits. Without ripping the whole mycelial mat out, i think it might actually be better for the patch to rip out the whole mushroom including that little bit of fuzz; similar to pruning.

i gather from people who grow them at home that this fungus requires a lot ov care & attention to grow, damaging the mycelium & opening it up to 'infection' doesn't seem like a good idea.

If the people who grow them at home are referring to cubensis rather than subaeruginosa (which is much more commonly grown at home) this is true - but cubensis is a dung loving mushroom and you will find that the wood-loving mycelium (subaeruginosa) is incredibly hardy compared with dung lovers, and the two cannot be compared.

For example - you can leave a colonised wood-loving species to completely dry out over summer with no water whatsoever for months on end, and as soon as it gets wet again it re-animates and starts growing.

Contamination isn't a major issue when dealing with wood lovers as there aren't a lot of molds that will readily grow on wood substrates. This can illustrated by keeping a few stem butts from some subs and laying them in between some sheets of cardboard that have been soaked in water and drained. No sterilisation is needed and if patience is noted then the cardboard should get colonised by the mycelium and this can then be buried in a new woodchip bed to start another patch reasonably easily.

MAAAATE thats a good haul of the little bastards

$200 for the man that finds an active species growing in dung this year...

Ill take that 2 hunner thanks BM :)

HOORAY! I MADE MY FIRST FIND OF SUBS EVER! saw at least 40 of em!! will put on photos tomorrow!

thargh she blows! found em in mt martha, time to enjoy very soon

post-4445-1211849057_thumb.jpg

post-4445-1211849209_thumb.jpg

post-4445-1211849375_thumb.jpg

post-4445-1211849634_thumb.jpg

woohoo i saw some more!!! on another note, if one was to choose to experiment with subs, how much would one need to have??? i heard it is about the same dosage for cubensis as for subs! is this correct? how many grams dried???? thanks like minded friends

www.erowid.org

But essentially, 0.5-8g would be a rough dosage guide. If first time <2g would be a safe option.

woohoo i saw some more!!! on another note, if one was to choose to experiment with subs, how much would one need to have??? i heard it is about the same dosage for cubensis as for subs! is this correct? how many grams dried???? thanks like minded friends

According to our discussion in the other thread, the consensus was that it depends on the size of your penis.

^ Yes of course, this must be considered also.

The graph below should help clarify:

Penislegthvssubdosage.jpg

hey guys im heading upto Mt.Buller on sunday and i am keen on going on a few frosty hunts as there will be no snow :BANGHEAD2:

since its nice and cold up that way and it has been getting alot of rain, im guessing there will be a few subs here and there.

does altitude effect subs?

and has anyone had any success around Mt.buller / Mansfield area?

Prime area divinersage :D

Should check in high country for P. semilanceata also but may be too late in the season for them.

P. semilanceata. Really? Ive never heard of anyone finding them in Vic before.

A few reported finds here and there shroomeup.

Cant say i have found P. semi myself. Have been checkin Mt Buffalo the past few years but it is always too dry in the area they were allegedly found, cant see any reason they wouldnt be in other areas though especially the grassy high country.

From memory one of the areas it was said to have been found was at St. Albans in Melbs of all places.

wham bam thank you mam. over 60 all up! i love working around farms!

wham bam thank you mam. over 60 all up! i love working around farms!

post-4445-1214456861_thumb.jpg