The Corroboree
Coschi

MELBOURNE FINDS !!!!

Sphinx' second pic could be a good old agaricus. If the gills were pink I'd say it could be Agaricus augustus. If they were white, then amanita is a much better candidate.

Ayjay!! My finds were in sherbrooke too !!! :lol:

Ayjay!! My finds were in sherbrooke too !!! :lol:

Haha! Nice area, spent some time there and in Olinda. Great place for a quick weekened out of the city. Some old friends of mine were recently married in the Sherbrooke forest.

Not sure what it's normally like in terms of active species but there were plenty of others all around the place. Seems like the right environment though.

In my experience ive found you won't find many subs in sherbrook forest, only the odd one or two. You're definitely better off looking in suburban parks/reserves. Mulch beds or even just bushland scrub is the way to go, try looking for areas that hold the moisture well. :wink:

Edited by Shroomeup

Any finds in the Wombat?

Hi guys, lots of great information here. I haven' t been on line for a very long while, but I'm really keen after last season.

Sphinx, I'm a bit out of touch, but i'll try to answer some of your questions, and a few others.

Re: pic page 1. Fungi growing in clumps, at the bottom of the tree.

Where do spores come from anyway? What you are seeing is the fruiting bodies produced from mycelium growing in and around the tree root. The fruit produce spores, which disseminate the fungus to other areas.

Some spores can travel very long distances on the air currents, certainly Australia to New Zealand. Some fungi enter oz on peoples clothing or boots. The story I like the most is the one about blue meanies, apparently the spores came across from south africa in the gut of cows (cow pat fungi?).

Spores can be sexual or asexual. Many fungi produce both.

I think P. subagruginosa is a native species.

I with Ace, are you sure they are all subs Shroomeup? As far as identification goes, I look for that special cap shape, a greasy appearance and blueing on the stem. Apparently other fungi turn blue, so I would love if someone could tell me what the other fungi are called. I really cull hard, when thy have dried just a little. to make sure I have good ones.

Some of the look a likes I see are Galerina spp.

Luv them blue legs.

:shroomer:

Edited by Petri

Petri, Great to see you have a keen interest in fungi, they are amazing. I am 110% sure the ones I posted were all P. subaeruginosa. I am no amateur when it comes to hunting subs and I know the dangers of eating unidentified mushrooms. Once you know what to look for there is no mistaking them, also you wouldn't believe how many shapes/sizes they can become depending on their particular environment and conditions.

Heres just a few I found today at a new patch although there was literately hundreds of pins coming up. I just hope we get some rain in the next few days so these baby's keep growing.

Edited by Shroomeup

"I with Ace, are you sure they are all subs Shroomeup? As far as identification goes, I look for that special cap shape, a greasy appearance and blueing on the stem. Apparently other fungi turn blue, so I would love if someone could tell me what the other fungi are called. I really cull hard, when thy have dried just a little. to make sure I have good ones."

Yep they all look like subs to me, dunno where your doubt is coming from.

ditto

Oops

:innocent_n:

AFAIK the other types that stain/bruise blue are usualy boletaes which look very diferent to subs.. particularly in exchange of gills for sponge.

Thanks for the info on the blue staining.

I’d read a few times where other fungi turn blue, perhaps as a warning. So it’s good to hear that the other types of blue staining look very different to subs.

Cheers :)

Found these today. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera on me so I couldn't get any habitat shots.

Edited by Shroomeup

Nice.

Caps are alot more closed than I'm used to.

Where these found in the 'burbs?

Nice.

Caps are alot more closed than I'm used to.

Where these found in the 'burbs?

stems are rather fat too

Yes they were found in the suburbs but not too far from the base of Mount D. I agree the caps on these are quite different than usual but I think if they where left a bit longer they would have opened out into pretty large shrooms. They could have been left to grow a bit more but I think they're best picked while still fresh and maggot free.

And some more found today at a different patch.

Happy hunting :shroomer:

Edited by Shroomeup

Beautiful, Shroomeup! Any chance you are printing a few of them?

Sorry Ace but they've already been drying for a few hours so wont be much good. Ill be sure to get some good prints of these next time.

No worries, that'd be tops, if you wouldnt mind mate! :worship: I'll dust off the ol' scope then eh :)

well you melbos ae just bloody swimming in it aren't you?

:lol:

x

well when a mummy mushroom loves a daddy mushroom... :blush:

You do realise that some fungi (such as Schizophyllum commune) have at least 28000 different genders,

thats more than just playing mummy's & daddy's

Thats enuf for everybody at a commercial dance event to have a different gender.

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/feb2000.html

So the season has well and truly started then, I think I will get a early one and go see what I can find tomorrow. :shroomer:

Thanks for the heads up :P