The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Conan Troutman

Salvia flowers *UPDATE*

Ive heard a report from someone who's actually tried that smoking the buds vs. leaf from S.D is similar to buds vs. leaf in M.J.

Anyone else heard of or tried this?

Though Im sure the mere thought of smoking Sally's possible children hadn't even begun to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing your mind. :lol:B):innocent_n:

Edited by philistine

Never heard about that philistine, and yea its never even crossed my mind lol hmm :unsure:

So what did the report you read say about it?

Conan, how long has she been in the flowering process? looks like shes slowing "coming of age"

Edited by Jesus On Peyote

So what did the report you read say about it?

It was in conversation and it went something like: "yeah man, like if you like smoke the buds man, it's like way cool n that.. waaaaaay stronger than the leaves duuude..." :lol:

Unfortunately that was all the info I got.

So it could be taken with as many grains of salt as you wish...

I was sceptical, but it sounds like it would work... maybe... but yeah, the post just reminded me so I was wondering if anyone else had heard of such things...

Edited by philistine

Still not open, no, but damn, she is GORGEOUS!! :worship:

be sure your friend doesnt disturb the light cycle, I've never heard of them flowering if they are getting more than 11.5 hrs of light per day. If it were to go up to 12 or 13 the buds might abort

be sure your friend doesnt disturb the light cycle, I've never heard of them flowering if they are getting more than 11.5 hrs of light per day. If it were to go up to 12 or 13 the buds might abort

Not much chance of that mate as she is outside in the southern autumn weather...although shw would love just a little bit of sun to help her along...Ill get some pics when home, I reckn she wont be far off today.

I have heard of smoking flowers before, certainly not in regards to the potency described in this thread, It may have been AndyAmine that mentioned sometime ago?? A different edge to the experience if I remember...

Apparently the leaves are more potent when they are flowering.

Yep that was me, I heard thourgh a friend that the experinance is well worth the effort...

Conan, Hows the salvia going? taken any more pictures?

By the way, did you ask your friend how long shes been in the flowering process so far?

--ed

About potency, i remember seeing a sally a while back (when legal) and remember looking closly at the leaves, n noticed alot of the smaller, lower and older leaves (almost sick,crustier looking leaves)had far more salvorian "tricromes" like hairs on them then newer growth, so for flowers if their ferryish, that might be an indication on potency.

It would be worth while doing a recored (txt) extraction on leaf vs flower at the same weight to check the content ratio.if a botanist somewhere where its legal could pull it off. i havent seen any papers on it.

Edited by Jesus On Peyote

Conan, Hows the salvia going? taken any more pictures?

By the way, did you ask your friend how long shes been in the flowering process so far?

*edit* He first noticed signs of flowering a month ago..

Night time temps have finally dropped to where they should be so shes still coming along slow as it may be...

hopefully you can see on the left some blooms starting to open and if you look real close you can also see some cold damage on the bract tips ..

post-1069-1179900187_thumb.jpg

Edited by Conan Troutman

:drool2::worship: Just gorgeous! So will your friend try to pollinate the flowers, CT?

:drool2::worship: Just gorgeous! So will your friend try to pollinate the flowers, CT?

I would say so Ace, some x-pollination may even be in order depending on availability of pollen.

Tell your friend hes got a beautiful looking flower there,and good luck with his pollination attempt, a pioneer.

Maybe someone with some spare pollen can help him out if he needs some.

A selfing would be most likely to work.

...that said, Salvia coccinea has the same number of chromosomes as S. div. and its native range is just north of S. div. I believe.

I just wrote this big post and dont know where its gone, and cant be fucked..so basically

My mate says, sally had a bit of hard weekend, savage winds and a load of grass clippings dumped on her. Lost one flower which was managed to be salvaged from the ground and is being dried. Not real happy...

some updates anyway..

post-1069-1180507054_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1180507297_thumb.jpg

Edited by Conan Troutman

Sweet :)

Oi, I had a thought last night... you've undoubtedly seen the seed production tek that uses a plastic bag for each flower, I think I worked out a alternate technique. When the flower drops put a little ball of cotton in the calyx 'cup' and harpoon the calyx with a fine needle or bit of wire. It'll hold in the seed, keep out larger insects that might eat the immature seed, and it wont hold in moisture/heat and promote mold like plastic would.

Sweet :)

Oi, I had a thought last night... you've undoubtedly seen the seed production tek that uses a plastic bag for each flower, I think I worked out a alternate technique. When the flower drops put a little ball of cotton in the calyx 'cup' and harpoon the calyx with a fine needle or bit of wire. It'll hold in the seed, keep out larger insects that might eat the immature seed, and it wont hold in moisture/heat and promote mold like plastic would.

sounds like good idea mate, just gotta wait for another flower to open before anyone can get to excited...

Edited by Conan Troutman

Sorry to hear about the lost flower and harsh winds ;/ i noticed them too :(.

You should maybe consider telling your friend to make a mini half sided greenhouse type thing to protect it alittle?may also help a little with humidity.

Not that it really looks like it needs it, it looks wonderful.continuing good luck.

Thats amazing :) congrats to your mate, its looks like a great plant!!

I want to grow one :drool2:

She can handle the wind not to bad...more the mower clippings that she doesnt like... :ana:

He found the first dropped flower today, unfortunately nothing else open yet...

post-1069-1181378265_thumb.jpgso I guess... :bong:

post-1069-1181378265_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1181378265_thumb.jpg

Edited by Conan Troutman

MORE MORE MORE...

post-1069-1181625371_thumb.jpgpost-1069-1181627245_thumb.jpg

The cold weather is taking it toll, BUT multiple blooms...so he reckns a chance at pollination could be nigh..

post-1069-1181625371_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1181627245_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1181625371_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1181627245_thumb.jpg

Guess what Conan?!?!?

My friend in NZ just noticed his plant flowering about 2 weeks ago aswell! :lol:

As I said only a month ago, he had never had any flowers in 2 or 3 years, so he is super excited.

Still waiting on some to open aswell. Expect pics in a few days.

Perhaps he and your buddy should swap some pollen? My mate said he is keen. PM me if he has any surviving flowers that are due to open. :wink: