The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Conan Troutman

Salvia flowers *UPDATE*

My mate's plant O/S is just coming into flower, he says he it doesnt seem to mind the cold nights as low as 7c and is fairly exposed to the elements just some protection from the shade of a tree...

Keep updated with pics..

PREFLOWER

dont ya just love that blue sheen..

Edited by Conan Troutman

Wow! Love the colour CT. Your friend is a luck fella :)

Lookin foward to seeing some flowers!

Man, you lot have some lucky mates! That is just awesome CT!

For what its worth, I'd like to point you to the following:

Grow your own Salvia Seeds from THIS thread

With a bit of patients and a little luck, perhaps your friend might be lucky enough to harvest some seed from what will most certainly be a gorgeous flower!

Cheers, will pass it on...

has bout or so 6 flowers coming up so far so if buds form will he will try to pollinate...

Man, thats pretty impressive! If s/he goes ahead, do you reckon you could convince them to do a write up on it? It'd be cool to see some viable seed form!

A mate I talk to on MSN grows Sally in a mountain climate in New Zealand, and he says he has them outdoors where it gets as cold as 2degreesC overnight with no ill effects. He just protects them from frost by putting them under trees.

It took 2 years of acclimatisation using greenhouses and misting, but he has definitely turned his into alpine Sally. :lol:

EDIT: Oh yeah, Conan, I forgot to say: Congratulate your friend for me. That's awesome!

Edited by Benzito

She cert can be a hardy girl. Sim story with this one Benzito taken much love and care to get her to a stage where she happily lives outdoors, my mates says it receives no humidity cept for occasional splash from watercan..and can also go a couple of days being dry before she shows signs of wilting...tuff bitch! :wub:

Yeah, my buddy in New Zealand hasn't wet the leaves in over a year, apart from when he waters it or when it rains and she only needs watering two or three times a week at the most, these days. They are super adaptive aren't they? :wub:

they like the cool and hate the heat

they like cool montane fresh humid air with no frost

eber been up to lamington tops/ oreilly guesthouse ? thats it, thats sally country

less light = more leaf/ emerald green

more light = flowers and light green leaf

they are self infertile

we really need seed or anothr clone to make seed

hand pollination works

i exect in 3 generations of x poll seedgrowing that the vigour, seedset and germination would rise sharply

they dont mind moderate humidity but dislike dry winds - they are actually more potent when grown on the drier side

ive been sayin for some time- fuschias and begonias baby

find where they grow to perfection and sally wants a spot alongside

Guest Øskorei

Edit: Double Post

Edited by Øskorei

Guest Øskorei

A FOAF has been hand pollinating several subjects for the last four flowering seasons, and to date there's been no sign of seed production. In fact, we're yet to read a credible account of anyone who's had seeds. I think the ease in which this plant spreads through vegetative reproduction might be a strong suggestion that she has evolved to not be a seed producer.

That's my non-botanical science two cents worth :)

if you follow up on the more recent sage research (mid 90's onwards) youll find it is fertile and produces seeds

on sieberts website there are pictures of the seed - they set 4 per flower

its just like trichs - self infertile

the problem is that AFAIK theres only one clone in Australia, and u need 2

i have a reference book for worldwide seed suppliers and there are quite a few suppliers of sally seed from countries such as france & USA. book published 2000

my 2 cents

Guest Øskorei
if you follow up on the more recent sage research (mid 90's onwards) youll find it is fertile and produces seeds

on sieberts website there are pictures of the seed - they set 4 per flower

its just like trichs - self infertile

the problem is that AFAIK theres only one clone in Australia, and u need 2

So by self-infertile I take it you mean it cannot be pollinated with its own strain ? I gather this from your 4th line..... hope i am reading this correctly.

Then we need to ask ourselves why there is only one strain in Australia (Im of the mind it's the W&H, yes?) Surely there are SOME others in existence, in the wild,...... It might be advantageouos to post some clear pictorial comparisons between the "W&H" and the "Blosser" (or other strains) in order for interested theorists to determine which plants they were growing when the it was legal here - also be handy for the overseas members.

I've seen those e-bay lists for seeds, and to me the low price, considering the alleged 'rarity' of them, would suggest that they're shonky. Also using the search feature, Ive noticed that a few of this forum's more prolific long term members have, for whatever reason, had doubts about these products in the past.

Yes, Im being lazy, and will check out Daniel's site later. I just know that once I go there, I'll be stuck for hours :)

EDIT: Taking a quick peep into the DS site, I notice that he found a strain that is remarkably distinct from the W&H, as it has more rounded leaf form.

Edited by Øskorei

Im surprised no one has mentioned cross pollination, with other salvia species such as splendens...

Guest Øskorei
Im surprised no one has mentioned cross pollination, with other salvia species such as splendens...

I was going to mention this, I really was tho not splendens specifically) but considered that I didn't want to expose my botanical-science ignorance too much more ;) Too late for that now...... SO, if possible (and Conan, can you comment further on specifics?) if there were a divinorum x splendens pollination (of both plants), then could the divinorum carrier of seed, and the subsequent hybrid 'birth' be later pollinated with a divinorum - with the second generation cross-poll (with same methodology) being closer to a divinorum (ie 3/4) and a linear progression as seasons unfold, until such a time that the hybrid evolves too closely back to the parent ?

This really is a discussion more suited to being face to face and over a few casual beers, so I apologise in advance for my naivety in the subject of cloning & hybridisation. I s'pose though, this is what the forums are all about.......

but considered that I didn't want to expose my botanical-science ignorance too much more ;) Too late for that now......

No need to worry, thats how we all learn new things every day :)

my bad

again the latest upgrade to the truth via that link suggest its is not even self infertile, at least not completely

if 2 strains were available it would prob cause a higher strike rate though

In S. splendens 2n=44, in S. divinorum 2n=22

A polyploid S. divinorum might hybridize with S. splendens.

Lots of others have 2n=22 tho, like S. sclarea

Salvia Chromosome Charts

WOW !!!!

That's looks fantastic Conan!! :lol:

Hey, how did you get an outdoors sally to do so well? everytime this guy tried (he lives in an area remarkably like melbourne) sally has died :( he'd absolutely love to get her going happily but just can't!

What's your secret?

WOW !!!!

That's looks fantastic Conan!! :lol:

Hey, how did you get an outdoors sally to do so well? everytime this guy tried (he lives in an area remarkably like melbourne) sally has died :( he'd absolutely love to get her going happily but just can't!

What's your secret?

Cheers dude, Lots of love... and I think she likes the grower :wub:, had few problems, but saying that it has taken a lot of time to get her happy outside..Ill say it again shes a tough bitch (hope she didnt hear me) :P

Edited by Conan Troutman