The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ace

Pereskiopsis Grafting Tek wanted

its good practice to strip

the few nodes just below the graft

it seems to help the scion take

So, you are saying that you should pull the leaves off, or actually damage the areoles of the upper parts of the peres?

Its all good - I know you all mean well :wink: I dont blame you really, but I just wanted to get the basics nailed before giving it my all in (a bit like a recipe for a meal - you do it the right way at first, then tweak it to your needs the next time :) )

Here you are Auxin :) Pic from the Nook Peres comp thread.

th_DSCN6973.jpgth_DSCN6974.jpgth_DSCN7302.jpgth_DSCN7559.jpg

There is another good pic from the nook, I'll see if I can find it.

Edited by Harry

Here you are Auxin :) Pic from the Nook Peres comp thread.

th_DSCN6973.jpgth_DSCN6974.jpgth_DSCN7302.jpgth_DSCN7559.jpg

There is another good pic from the nook, I'll see if I can find it.

that is awesome, never seen that done before

Wow, peyote tree! :drool2:

That would look just awesome if several flowered at once

Wow that loph tree is tops! I reckon we mights see a few of those in a couple of years, it has certainly tweaked my interest.

One thing that continually pisses me off with peres grafts is the fluid oozing out of the cut area and pushing the graft off or gathering and drying to the point where it is crusty etc. I have left them longer and longer periods without watering to no avail. I must have to wait longer and dry out the stock even more.

It is just something I struggle with that other grafting noobs may encounter.

Pereskiopsis_Grafting_in_a_Nutshell_1.1.pdf

Hey guys, here's my grafting tek, the pics are from my first attempt over the weekend. Hope this makes sense and I will keep updating it as the graft progresses (if it takes, which seems promising atm!).

Whadya think?

Hey guys, here's my grafting tek, the pics are from my first attempt over the weekend. Hope this makes sense and I will keep updating it as the graft progresses (if it takes, which seems promising atm!).

Whadya think?

sweet

Thanks Rahli - I dont think this thread has seen daylight in over a year! :P I should say that it was either that graft in the PDF or its brother (grafted the same day or week) that ended up verigated (hit the SE for pics). It has since been propagated into 4 nice button/pach grafts. They have been hit hard by some nasty little critters (very tiny unidentified insect type things) and one has a very bad split due to excessive watering, but they are all powering on and showing signs of recovery (I was very hesitant to hit them with pyrethrum because of an unwarranted fear of rotting, but it has done the job marvelously - no little bugs to be seen and wounds are rapidly healing). The other non-verigated seedling graft is still kicking on living vicariously thru one of its pups atop a pach with 3 of its own pups.

Grafting really is the way of the cactus gods B)

Ace, I'm glad to hear your varigated graft is sucessfully cloning its way into a future pet obsession for many a cactophile.

It will be interesting to hear when this clone is strong enough to start a vegative invasion thoughout the furtile corridors of the community.

Thanks again for the grafting PDF. It really comes in handy before the big operation.

Thanks Rahli. I can say that a small pup has made its way to one member (names wont be mentioned unless they do so), however it might still be a while before it is a common sight in forum members collections. I'll be doing my best this season to get quite a few verigated button/pach grafts happening and I plan to make them available to those who will be able to do the same. All in the name of diversifying the Aussie cacti genepool :)

Well, not quite a 'tree' - more of a 'forest' at the moment :P I might have to have a crack at doing a tree if these start really cranking out pups (they each have a tiny one popping out, but they havent done much for several weeks). They are very slow at the moment due to lousy temps (and due to bugs - hence lots of scabs...) but I'm hoping they'll double growth speed once the weather warms up. Oh and the intense yellow/orange is due to HPS lighting.

post-2347-1219052404_thumb.jpg

didnt have time to download the tek, but, didn't you not meantion giving pressure to the scion by some tape or something for a couple of days? or is it unnecessary / impractical with the peres?

didn't you not meantion giving pressure to the scion by some tape or something for a couple of days? or is it unnecessary / impractical with the peres?

Nah, no need to stuff around with pressure for peres scions. There should be plenty of sap from both the peres and seedling to practically 'glue' them together until they start to dry and fuse (one of the many reasons why your plants should be in active growth). I've heard of taping, supergluing, weights, etc for seedling grafts, but IME all that is needed is provided by the stock and scion.

didnt have time to download the tek

Its only a tiny 200kb :P Nah, its just a compilation of info that I found on the forums/net and put into a practical pictorial. It might already be out of date (cacti grafting is constantly advancing with the ingenuity of internet forums) - I haven't read it in a long time.

didnt have time to download the tek
Its only a tiny 200kb tongue.gif Nah, its just a compilation of info that I found on the forums/net and put into a practical pictorial. It might already be out of date (cacti grafting is constantly advancing with the ingenuity of internet forums) - I haven't read it in a long time.

ehmm, :huh: , bad phrasing... It was too late to check it out... I did downlod it, since a some ethno friend sent me pere stock + 5 lopho pups ... it is my cactus year, definately... My only attempt at grafting so far, bit less than a month now, lopho on mytrilocactus stock, seems to have 'taken', well, I hope ...

Here's a very interesting thread on e-dot on grafting

http://www.entheogen.com/forum/showthread....eskiopsis+graft