The Corroboree
Torsten

Trout's Notes on San Pedro [Sacred Cacti 3rd edition] IN STOCK NOW.

Damn dude, you should start a thread about the "psychology, philosophy, comparative religion, history, anthropology, and mythology" of Peyote and San Pedro. There doesn't seem to be much if anything about that stuff in your book or posts so far which have been focused on ID and collection data, things that have little to do with the "psychology, philosophy, comparative religion, history, anthropology, and mythology" of plants.

I am still impressed by your knowledge in the area of theology.

Ummmm, "My interests in 'peyote and San Pedro' stem directly out of the role of these plants in all these areas", not that they are addressed in great detail in the book itself. And if you think my book in any version is "focused on ID and collection data" then you should probably read it again.

Keep it up Archaea, maybe you will cause a run on my book. :lol:

~Michael~

Keep it up Archaea, maybe you will cause a run on my book. :lol:

No such thing as bad press.

It is worth having and reading.

I've seen some in depth posts by you on the subject of theology and philosophy that provide a clear contrast to your cactus writings.

I read your book and wish it was like that. Still I read it.

Trouts books too, I plan on getting simple tryptamines soon.

Is someone ganna explain to me about these books??? what do these part 1, 2 etc mean???

The accumulated data involved has such a large volume it becomes unrealistic to publish as a single work.

Also the accumulative work is ongoing, thus revision takes place in the works expanding them to even greater volumes.

Is there any chronography of trout's books?

Yes.

Or, to make it easier, which ones of his books [still available, not older versions] are about cacti and succulents?

TN#3B aka trouts notes #3 B San Pedro is about San Pedro and allies.

I am not aware of a newer work having been released pertaining to cacti and succulents in general.

There is the older work Sacred Cacti, of which TN3B is an expansive revision of the older work.

Is there a vendor that carries all of these books,

No single publisher seems to carry the colllected works of Keeper Trout.

Some vendors may have multiple selections from different publishers.

That is my impression, it may not be correct.

Edited by trucha

I just received Trout's Notes on San Pedro and what can I say...

yeah, I stole this link from a fellow member here, but it suits how I feel about this book.

I wish some philanthropist would sponsor KT in his work.

Maybe non-stock corporation can be made to promote this?

Edited by trucha

Edited by trucha

thanx for your work ,i'm sure you know it is much appreciated and valued by many of the people here!

dvd sounds good.

t s t .

(Meaning my loss just from the devaluation of the US dollar will be in two directions at whatever the change in the dollar's value is at the point when my bills are settled)

At the end of more than a year of offering prepublication sales for Sacred Cacti there has been not even one single person taking the offer.

AHEM!!! :o I offered to buy into ANY new project you are taking to print! I just figured that in the current economic climate there wouldn't be much point in pushing. Also, maybe my contribution isn't big enough to enable the next project, but I do as much as I can.

As for the exchange rate, I think you got screwed! It should only ever go one way. I am surprised that you would quote in non-US currency for long running invoices. ie people should be paying you in US$ as per originally agreed amount. The buyer always has the responsibility for rate changes - just like you have the responsibility for the rate change to your supplier, so should your buyers have the responsibility for rate changes to you. Otherwise buyers can pay during currency fluctuations and you will never know what you will get.

Despite how it seems likely to turn out I think I was lucky to know someone who loaned me that money as without it Some Simple Tryptamines would not have happened. Its just an is-ness how its working out.

Going to print in any country seems masochistic but its always been an open and fairly well discussed opportunity for anyone to produce the material in Oz. I'm unclear what offer was referred to but I'm not wanting to argue or enter into any sort of negative exchange.

Its true for Sacred Cacti though. Interestingly at the end of a year of offering it at a prepublication rate in order to assess viability for publication not a single order came in. Only a handful of inquiries & requests for publication notification. Not real suggestive of something for you me or anyone else to put much money into.

honestly who is gonna buy a book on cacti written by a fish! heh nah looks like a vey good book

Edited by ydarb

the author is 'keeper of the trout' i think but lol anyway!

t s t .

I received my copy and I'm very happy with it. Looking forward to adding "SST" to the library as well, looks like it should be an interesting read.

2dtvima.jpg

Just got my copy too - Thank the Heavens for the Trout! I can finally i.d. some of my collection with some certainty.

Just as as side note (hope i dont make anyone angry by posting in the wrong spot) - but I've been hitting the Bunnings lately and have wonderful success! A new Trich almost every weekend. Gotta love the irony of the biggest biz in town helping us touch the stone!

edit: pm sent

Edited by True

Absolutely. I think you can still get some from the SAB Store (if T has still some in stock) or from moksha press on www.entheobiblica.com

Is this book still available to purchase within Au? I could order it from the US but would rather buy locally. Maybe Koda or Wandjina gardens or even a little random shop in Nimbin has a copy for sale?? I'll be down that way soonish so if it's available I'll grab a copy then. Has to be the 3rd edition.

Talk about digging an old thread up...

Edited by spice-of-life

Let me know if you have any trouble locating a copy.

Shipping price increases from the US postal service several years ago nearly put a lot of us small book producers out of business.

For a progress report on Sacred Cacti, it appears that it is finally being prepared to go to print. I hope to have more detailed info on a time frame for that soon.

As a teaser here is the working version of the new front cover.

post-900-0-81073500-1353864135_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thats great news, I have been waiting for for a replacement to Sacred Cacti 2nd Edition.

Thanks for all your hard work that make these works possible!

I'm a new member-- only begun going through all the topics/forums. Trichocereus et al aren't my area of expertise, however, this thread on Trout's Notes caught my eye, since I'd previously known Trout only from a website called SacredCactus.com. If I understand this thread correctly, Trout wrote the books Sacred Cactus I and II, and the books are immensely well-received by Corroboree members (right?). The SacredCactus.com website existed before Trout did as a writer (I've been reading it for over a decade) so I'm surprised that he/she (Trout) took the name of a website that excoriates him/her, which is why I'm confused about the whole issue of Trout. The website speaks extensively of the columnars/Trichocereus, San Pedro, etc., and is chock-full of background. It seems authoritative in its own area. So I'm really confused. If someone could look at the webpage http://www.sacredcac...routs_snout.htm (and hopefully also peruse the whole website to get an idea of its breadth) I'd appreciate some feedback. Is Trout a sage or a fake?

That guy is a knob that is full of himself. He comes across as an expert but he only grows a few different Trichocereus and then he claims he knows all just to convince his ebay buyers that he is the main man. He also bangs on about people that eat cacti calling them druggies but he sells cuttings on ebay. What does he think is happening to most of those cuttings. :scratchhead:

I don't know who was around first but I would be surprised if it wasn't Trout as I have seen publications dating back to 1997.

You need to not confuse a sales pitch with knowledge.

Welcome to the Corroboree :)

Cheers

Got

Edited by GoOnThen

Yeah, I completed the work Sacred Cacti and had it in people's hands before Verne started Sacred Cacti/Sacred Cactus.com. Much of the creation of the Trout's Snout page actually directly involves that rather than the San Pedro book.

Sacred Cacti was published by Narayan in a perfect bound format in 1997 but it had begun its circulation in a GBC binding in late 1995.

Initially he had Sacredcactus.com. When he noticed I had a book out titled Sacred Cacti he wrote me to demand I change the title or cease selling it as he believed his ownership of the domain name Sacred Cactus somehow meant he owned the phrase. I think that occured in 1999 (just after the release of the second edition when I put notice of its availability online) but I don't recall the exact date of his letter to me this long after the fact.

I wrote back to tell him he owned a domain and sold plants whereas I wrote about plants and sold books. I also pointed out my phrase was Sacred Cacti as I wrote about more than the single cactus that he then sold. That MIGHT be why he also purchased the domain sacredcacti.com but my telling him that he could stuff it was likely the motivation for his trashing of me.

When San Pedro came out he used that as a vehicle to attack me and attempted to trash my reputation. Its no doubt worked for those who are newbies and have no adequate background to assess the larger picture.

I'd invite anyone to read his comments carefully and look at the wealth of lies and wrong info they include. I also invite them to look at how many other people actually agree with Verne and then look at the opinions expressed about my work by people with names many will recognize including Sasha Shulgin, Jonathan Ott, Dale Pendell, Johnny Appleseed, Carlos Ostolaza, Dennis McKenna, Bob Wallace, Rick Strassman, Otto Snow, Mulga, Daniel Siebert, Jon Hanna, Leo Mercado and Giorgia Samorini. [see assorted quotes at http://www.accuratei...m/comments.htm]

Or ask anyone who actually read the material. Its clear from the guy's words he either did not read the work before posting that hate-filled attack he calls a book review or that he had ulterior motivations in mind.

I've completely avoided having any contact with him outside of that letter I mailed.

Also, I'm neither a sage or a fake.

I'm just another human trying to make some sense out things as best as I can, a process that often will include some errors and false starts. Which is also true for anyone else due to the nature of this particular beast.

Whenever I find I'm in error I'm happy both to correct that and to own my mistakes.

Sasha put it best when commenting that I had two choices -- being comprehensive or being accurate, but not both.

Edited by trucha
  • Like 2