The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest homoGenius

Time for poppy sowing now?

Guest homoGenius

I've never quite worked out when is the best time in Oz?

Should we be sowing now for a nice springtime crop?

TIA.

From what I've read, Autumn is meant to be good for the spring flowering. have a search at the nook - I think there was a complete book that could be downloaded on the subject - I think you could find it using the SE here too.

Depends on how cold it gets during the cooler months.

Autumn would be the time for a Spring time flowering but your seedlings might not survive the winter if you get frosts and such so Spring flowering might no be possible unless you have a hot house to shelter them in over Winter.

No harm in trying if you do get frosts, poppy seeds are easy enough to come by so if you loose the seedlings you can just plant more at the end of Winter.

Yeah I would plant your 1st batch in the next few weeks and replant another batch in early spring :)

Can never have enough pods for flower aranging ;)

Decent size cabbages are quite cold tolerant, they can survive being covered with snow.

Agree with cisumevil see how it goes & next year u should have a grip on wot to do.

Plant in Autumn. Do not worry about any low temps in Oz during winter. I'm US, zone 6b. Cold as shit in the winter. I plant mine in autumn.

The thing that will kill them is if there is a HARD freeze (nothing you will get there) after several weeks of warm spring growth. That is the scourge I'm dealing with right now.

:angry:

Cool! I might put some more in then :)

Got some awesome varieties!

I love poppies :lol:

Wait wait.. is this autumn? yeah yeah.. i'm terrible with this stuff..

I've got a whole bunch of indian white seeds (unless there are other white poppy seeds?) and a 15 kilo bag :blink: (what was i thinking!?) of Glaxo Smith Kline blue poppy seeds.. would these have come from tazzy?

ok so sow now?? not much room in the backyard though :(

GSK seeds where the hell did u get those?

Who knows.. i guess who sent them, they know, yeah yeah them

maybe..

Doesn't matter, so where are they from?

iv seen pictures of poppys growing in the snow, theyr very flexible so plant away!!

i just unloaded heaps into my dirt last week, im in melbourne. they should be popping up soon

FOAF told me a truckload of seeds have sprouted in a pot of his!!! He's very excited considering everything else is stopping growing not that winter is arriving :)

Sorry Mark no :( Its illegal. :)

If it weren't I think they would as long as they had semi shade and plenty to drink. Just a guess.

How hot is it up their in winter anyway?

Edited by Harry

Sorry Mark no :( Its illegal. :)

If it weren't I think they would as long as they had semi shade and plenty to drink. Just a guess.

How hot is it up their in winter anyway?

Oh i thought we were talking about legal poppies... like others in the papaver genus.

It can get pretty chilly like low teens and about 25ish during the day.

Thats it! I'm moving to Townsville! Beats -3 to -4 any day of the week :)

Sounds like they would love it up there with you mark :)

Thats it! I'm moving to Townsville! Beats -3 to -4 any day of the week :)

Sounds like they would love it up there with you mark :)

If you wnat you can live with my cacti.... as long as you as snuggle em at night... :D

Umm so I should sow them in half sun ? now?

Yeah nows a good time.

Pm me regarding our trade.

Should they be sowed in seed raising mix?

The sprouts of my legal poppies i grew a while ago were so delicate ... watering them i think i killed a lot of them :( after a while they all just flopped and never progressed much past sprouts..

what you think eh?

Just broadcast them in an area that has been well tilled with something to aerate the soil, bone meal or phosphate also.

Full sun from the get go.

You can start in seedling mix, but it is a pain in the ass. Just thin them out in the early spring.

Oh, and they get aphids like crazy.

Oh, and they get aphids like crazy.

They do??

SWIM got aphids on a sunflower and since they have spread to everything! Even SWIM's VFT's damn it!

About the only thing that doesn't have aphids is SWIM's poppies. May have to get SWIM tohave a closer look.

Pesky lil F@$KS!

double post

Edited by Rev

Plant in Autumn. Do not worry about any low temps in Oz during winter. I'm US, zone 6b. Cold as shit in the winter. I plant mine in autumn.

The thing that will kill them is if there is a HARD freeze (nothing you will get there) after several weeks of warm spring growth. That is the scourge I'm dealing with right now.

:angry:

happens here bro

tenterfield on top of the great dividing range will get -14/-15C some nights and get an early spring - then whammo

late spring frosts come in and kill even the maples

Edited by Rev

Gday cobbers old mates, didnt yez get the good oil on the drum, oz nivvah gets no colder than a dingo's balls in Borneo. All them blardy oppin roo's keepin it too flying swarm! Oilrighties sheilas I'm off on me pat malone fer a fosters , might chuck another shrimp on the bahbee and hang by me sack on the ills oist.Lettuce know where the blardy ell are yez , diggers.Crikey, sometimez I skear even meselves.

Edited by greendreams

GD - you bluddy rippa! Bring back the bogan!