The Corroboree
apothecary

sub season

Heard that someone today picked a sub in inner-city Sydney. Will confirm ID tonight.

I checked all my patches after last nights rain and didn't find anything, no pins or anything. Plenty of mycelial swelling though.

Never heard of east coast beating Melbourne to subs.

Anyone make any finds yet?

Awesome! Its finally here :)

Come on clouds give it up! RAIN!!

Nothing at my suburban patch yet. Rain has been sparse though. BoM predicts showers extending over a few days later in the week, which may be promising.

Awesome! Its finally here :)

Come on clouds give it up! RAIN!!

I have some thick clouds swelling above me as we speak. Will check some spots in the coming days.

The Wind echoes, "Fertility is near"....

We havent had rain for months now - most gardens are drying up too much to host anything of interest I'd be guessing, but hopefully the rain will break and the lil fellas will be everywhere :lol:

Looking forward to my first hunt this season!

ive been waiting for the rain, only just started today. been checking the patches but only seen amanita's

it's pissing down outside as i type :)

Its been really dry here in Tas,

I have been walking regularly, and there are not many mushrooms at all let alone any subs. I have found a couple of patches of mycelial growth in damp spots but in general no go. It may be a different story in higher altitudes.

I still have dead patches in my lawn, which is really unusual for tassie at this time of year.

The regular rains have really only just stared, so things may pick up soon, but we need some good downpours to really get things wet. The cold is there tho so it shouldn't be long.

cheers, Obtuse

(edit: bad spelling)

Edited by obtuse

Still way to dry down here.. Hopefully in a month or two though..

Well it has been raining here heaps and we have had lots of cool fungi of all shapes and sizes for about a month, but I haven't even seen any of the usual indicator species yet such as Hypholoma or other Strophs so I was a bit surprised to hear this claim. Still waiting on photos.

A massive rash of Geastrum species surfaced today all over the place, and all sorts of cool looking stuff (photos tomorrow), which means we are getting close but yeah.

Well where I am at, it's been pouring all night and all day. In the past month i've been seing loads of mushrooms/fungi growing out of the ground on pathways and stuff, no idea what sorts though. I'll have to learn how to identify common psychoactive's in my area and keep my eye out.

Wow. I gotta admit, the ones in the second photo do really look like sydney subs.

The staining is pretty prolific.

So, what say ye?

These are honestly not my finds, although I am green with envy.

Edited by apothecary

So, what say ye?

i say... where?? :o

really, is it a familiar spot or a chance find?

well done apo's mate!

x

It is one of the usual patches for this particular mycophile.

I picked them. I don't want to give too much away about the patch but it gave a good harvest last year... all I will say is that it was from the eastern suburbs on the south side of a building. Infact they were from 2 seperate patches. I'll keep taking pics as they come up. I'm sure they're subs cause they were what I was eating last year and I didn't die plus all the indicator species were cruising around them.

all melbourne people who are going out for some walks soon can i come out with you? I need someone to learn from!!

there some nice pics apoth

Edited by Narcissism

Amazing.. I figured it's still been too warm of late for any decent patches to come up, but after all the rain we've had, its starting to sound pretty promising. I work near quite a few known patches, might go for a lunchtime stroll tomorrow and see if there's any action!

Edited by littlefin

Definitely subs :lol: :lol: :lol:

The season begins.

Is there a more exciting feeling than discovering a rich, wet patch of ripe, chubby subs?

Well well well.

After last nights downpour I went for an extensive romp today.

My local grounds have turned into a fungal funderland overnight.

Including one patch of subs! Last year this patch was second to fruit, about June or so.

Pics of a whole bunch of different fungi tonight!

Awesome!! Totally jealous of ya Apo - its still dry as a dead dingo's donger here :( :(

Yeah the clouds just tease us here :(

Sky goes dark and you can smell the rain... but it never comes :(

God damn Penus Envy tease !!! :ana:

Yep they's subs!

Nice one.