The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
earthalchemist

Goodenia Ovata

i saw this mentioned in a bushfoods article in the Sydney Morning Herald a while back ... the writer gave "Aboriginal Valium" as another name for it. apparently a leaf tea was given to children to help them sleep.

haven't been able to find out anything about constituents/traditional use etc ... anyone else?

happiness

earthalchemist

I'll have a look at a couple of books when I get home but for now from the web:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~greenlnk/p-usage.htm

says "Aboriginal mothers used it to put young children to sleep on long journeys, by rubbing the leaves on their fingers and under their nails"

anti-diabetic properties are also suggested above and on this page:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~ruraled/m8.htm

From memory this plant is reasonably common in some of the places I go walking, I'll try to get some leaves and/or seeds...

heheh well as fate would have it, I went for a walk in a local (suburban) park after writing that and lo and behold there was some G. ovata growing there! I'll try it in the next couple of days. It didn't have any seeds.

thanks for the links rk!! i had trouble finding anything other than common garden references for it ... looking forward to hearing the results

happiness

earthalchemist

I tried some of this as a tea this evening. Two cups with (both times) about 1.5 teaspoons of finely chopped leaves steeped in boiled water for 10 minutes. There does seem to be some sedation and calming down of my previous foul mood (parking fines which the council refuses to cancel, for parking outside my house with a resident's parking permit... the only thing in life that causes me extreme anger is seeing morons with power), but this could just be due to normal evening sleepiness and the taking over of my normal state of equanimity.

Oh yeah mantis sage mentioned to me that he has a ref for another Goodenia sp (could be a synonym) as a pituri substitute/admixture.

please can you find out this sounds great ! and mayby we could swap some majic for some magic?

rkundalini is not online anymore.

i think i saw goodenia ovata growing as a weed in my area, i will look out for it again...

Currently I'm doing environmental restoration, and now i have yet another psycvhoactive plant to add to the list of plants on site. I'll take some cuttings, and test a bit to see what it's like. I have been calling it by the common name of Hop Goodenia, that name makes more sense now...