The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

Growing Guinea Pigs for Meat

Eww - cant seeing this being my cup of tea :puke: But I guess its no different to poultry - in many countries people cringe at the idea of eating chicken, as it can be such a dirty animal. I used to know a guy from Ethiopia (no, I didnt call him Starvin' Marvin :P ) who wouldnt touch chook because he said it was disgusting to even think about consuming the meat of such a filthy animal. I guess we would see the same thing in guinea pigs, but after time, I could see the majority of kiddies wanting to go to the local KFGP (Kentucky Fried Guinea Pig) :lol: instead of eating their greens...

Would this be legal in Oz (currently), or would there be some absurd law to ban such a practice?

Mmm, sugar glider - sounds like it would be a nice dessert :P

Cook onea them fuckers up into curry and I'd try it!

It cant be any worse than real pig, infact from the description it sounds much better. And I always prefer herbivores over carnivores :)

Maybe we could eat budgies as well. Their name is aboriginal and is supposed to mean good eating or something to that effect.

I hate chicken wings cos their is not enough meat on them, imagine budgie wings lol.

I know a guy who does that but he thinks the world is going to end & he will have to sustain his fqamily on them & chickens. There a delicacy in peru I believe.

obviously no1 here has ever gutted a GP. Do it and I garauntee you'll never eat it! The smell is like no other and completely offputting.

And how do you know that Naja? :P Ewww :puke:

Ive gutted rabbit and it was fine

but ive also had to disect sheep guts at Uni

that was rank

i saw a show where a black american family stayed in some peruvian highlands i think, where it was hard to breathe the thin air. the highlight was when the subtitles said very plainly "they chew coca leaves, for health".

anyway their main foodsource was guinea pigs and they ate the innards and everything. when the american mother cooked them some chicken they rated it like 5 out of 10 and said that guinea pig is much better.

ive thought about this for a while, wonder if theres some of the meatier edible breeds in aus.

anyone tried em?

naja did you gut one bred for eating? do tell...

there are a number of factors to consider when choosing breed. i don't see meatiness being a problem - overall, the process can't be any more labour intensive than raising chickens.

Often wondered what they taste like.

I've had domestic rabbit a few times and it's very bland compared to wild bunnies, so would imagine these to be similar if farmed.

re budgies, grass-parrots are delicious but not much meat on them. Larger parrots too, if they're young.

ed

I had some GP's but the cae was inadequate

either they got out , or more likley something got in

and whittled them down to 1 - which is obviously unsustainable :rollseyes:

gotta redesign the quarters

and restock

will they cohabit with chooks? we have 2 x light sussex , maybe more later

i admit ive only eaten wild rabbit too

if the GPS get a good varied diet and lost of fresh grass as opposed to pellets shouldnt they tatse better?

chicken certainly does

Edited by Rev

I wouldnt want to eat it every day, ideally you would have a few meat sources so you could alternate.

i think due to slower growth and small litters it isn't that great. i would think rabbit or certain rodents, as far as quantity go, would be far more efficient. that said i am nto eating any of them.

yeah true rabbits where my first choice, but its illegal to keep rabbits in QLD. So naturally next was guinea pigs.

tastey little suckers they are, kinda like quail. Not as much meat as rabbit though. Stupid laws here in Qld

Guest Øskorei

Is there an inherent fear/shock in that which we do not typically conform to as being acceptable ? The so called "Western World" are majority meat eaters, yet most will turn their noses up at any beasts bar the big four of poultry/cow/pig/sheep. Rabbit is quite unpopular, or so it would seem from its limited availability, so can't be considered part of the big four. Apparantly the Royal family eat graceful swans. Haven't found that at all here in the shops.

But what IS the issue with eating guinea pig, apart from the 'oh so cutesy' factor. Or dog. Or cat ? Sure, the lack of meat in some varieties may be a bit sparse, but chicken wings seems quite popular, despite this.

Here's a comment that's sure to drop a bomb. Perhaps we might consider farming humans. I'm not suggesting that we go out and kills others in order to feed the family just yet, but an actual agricultural program in the production of good old homosapiens ? (well good young ones, old ones might be too grisly). The only problem I could see is that the 'stud cattle' take a long time (what, 12 years) to reproduce.

Before any statements are made as to the true awful nature of such a suggestion, this cattle wouldn't be conditioned in a societysuch as we enjoy, they wouldn't hold any more rights than a beef-cow. They would simply be another source for the carnivores to experiment with after Jamie Oliver writes a book on it.

Im sure if you asked a cow on their impression of calf-slaughetr before the advent of cattle farming, they might hold the same reservations.

I'll raise my shield now, shall I ?

obviously no1 here has ever gutted a GP. Do it and I garauntee you'll never eat it! The smell is like no other and completely offputting.

Naja I used to gut cows for a living and I can tell you they don't smell to flash either. But they taste good :P

It has been proven that the only sustainable meat in australia in the terms of what our land can cope with is Kangaroo and Crocodile the later being harder to farm.

Kangaroo taste awesome I think but imagine the fences you would need on your farm!