The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
parzival

SCALE

So i got a scale problem on one my pedro's, i've wiped the bastards off with isopropyl alcohol numerous times, and they come back with a vengence. Well im stumped.

Can you help me?

nice one

Hi Parcifal,

you could try a mix of a few ml 70% Alcohol and water containing pure unparfumed Kali-soap. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

soapy substances are better than alcohol, should help to stop them attaching themselves again, any type of soap, dish washing liquid etc, should help, also u can polish ur cactus slightly with Vaseline, but not too much, still needs to be able to exchange gas but this also helps keep scale et off them!!!

I've always used Piretherum, is this not advised?

Its good to have some different techniques though...

i use pyrethrum too

never understood what people have against it?

try wiping off what you can

spray with pyrethrum

leave to die

hose/wipe off dead scale

spray again if persistent

it can take a while to curb an infestation, but eradication IS possible and is necessary

i dont think living with a little scale is a good idea like living with small numbers of other pest is

you can also try spraying them with an alcohol/tobacco mix, I usually use 2 cigarettes to a cup of alcohol (usually metho with a bit of water to dilute it)

With the bastards that just keep coming back put a few drops on them directly. Just be careful not to get any on your skin, my hand got soaked last time I did it and my arm went all tingly and my heart was racing for hours.

Also check to see that its not ants cultivating the scale, thats how almost all of mine have been infected in the past.

Blang, we want em to LEAVE, not STAY. evilgrin0039.gif

you can also try spraying them with an alcohol/tobacco mix, I usually use 2 cigarettes to a cup of alcohol

can someone post up a clear picture of scale please on bridgessii?

here are a few pics these guys got real bad and i had to take cuttings. the brig lived because i got it early.

post-1180-1177413731_thumb.jpg

dont let this get too far as it kills whole large cacti damn fast.

At one point i was using a toothbrush to try to clean my tbm. in the end i had to give up as it became futile. even the ol' scale gun did nothing to stop the problem. although the toothbrush daily helped.

the soap will stop them breathing and the nicotine works as a decent insecticide which causes minimal harm.

my other image wont upload will try tomorrow

Edited by elzar