The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
devance

Bee death theorys

The boffins[scientists] have a new theory that cell phone emissions are disorientating the bees.

Before tossing the theory to the scapheap a look is in order.

The bees don't make it back to the hive.

Bees navigate by polarized light, and maybe magnetic by small organic magnetic crystals like birds have..

If they think theres something wrong with them too protect the hive as in a disease they won't go back to the hive.

I don't think cell phone emissions are as harmless as been propagandized.

Since cell phones are part of society why was that part of the electromagnetic wavelength spectrum chosen.

Scientifically or economically?

its a good time to be a native bee breeder it seems

with varroa mite and now this

ill let you know if the bees out here start dying. mobile coverage is shit

bees are fascinating. if they return to the hive, drunk from harvesting certain plants, "bouncers" will throw their ass out. if they continue to enter the hive, their wings are chewed off!

vegetarians are feisty too.

cell phone emissions harmless? they have to be doing something, whether or not it has direct effects on humans. i have read that if you call one cell on another cell, and place them next to each other with an egg in between.... the egg gets cooked! heating of the side of the brain is a proven fact, whether or not it causes cancer is in dispute.

also, the fact that bees have a normally flawless way of getting back to their nest says to me that if that method is somehow interrupted, then the bee is in big trouble because it has nothing to fall back on.

this “Colony Collapse Disorder” is pretty scary stuff. some figures say more than 70% ov honey bees have died in some US states. I tend to agree w/the Albert Einstein quote that's often been accompanying these stories:

"If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, then man would only have four years of life left."

why did eintstein say that? was he trying his hand at prophecy or is there some logic there?

It usually goes “If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left.

No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man.”

Whenever I see a quote like that, be it einstein, the dalai lama, or linus pauling it reminds me of another famous quote

"The greatness of a scientist can be measured by how long he impedes progress in his field"

All of the above are truly Truly great men :wink:

The majority of human agriculture does not require bees and to believe that all species more advanced than bacteria will go extinct in four years if bees are killed is a Tad far fetched. And remember, reporters are after the all mighty dollar, they dig up wacky quotes from people that the masses believed to be infallible emissaries of the universe in order to sell more papers or add space.

It seems entirely possible that expanding wireless networks are messing with bees sense of direction, but that does not in any way explain why other critters leave honey from effected hives alone :unsure:

Edited by Auxin

but that does not in any way explain why other critters leave honey from effected hives alone

---------------------------------------

Glad your thinking Auxin.

Degital and analog might be considered.

One would think that the analog would be a problem. But everything is digetal as far as data moving.

So a pesticide maybe?

So far England as reported bee deaths so hasn't been affected even with a massive cell phone network.

But I am more than convinced that there is a link.

From personel experince a friend used a high powered cell phone when they first came out for business and did get a brain tumor but that wasn't the strange part as his speech actually changed to sound like a cell phone communication.

Has to use thyroxine know.

A while back I remember wondering about this sort of stuff.

Humans have evolved to a point where we are able to fill the aether with energies we propogate ourselves, what effect could this possibly have on certain individuals?

I guess the thing that worries me is what harm we could potentially be doing to some undiscovered aspect of the universe, what if this aspect is neccessary to our or another species survival.

Say there is a part of the electromagnetic spectrum that some part of biology uses for task "x" and say this part of the spectrum is influenced by the radiation we humans propogate, on a long enough time line this stuff becomes significant and changes start to occur in the system, anything from the quality of life to the physical attributes of a species.

It's a bit of a "the sky is falling" thing to worry about but I think the possibilty is there.

Does anyone have any leads I could follow to learn more about this?

i have read that if you call one cell on another cell, and place them next to each other with an egg in between.... the egg gets cooked!

Dont you watch mythbusters?? :P That is in actual fact a myth - they even tried a pile of about 100 phones with an egg on top - all ringing at once, absolutely nothing happened.

"If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, then man would only have four years of life left."

Sorry to say, but I think Einstein had it somewhat wrong - some plants can in fact self pollinate, others need insects or other forces to pollinate - believe it or not, there are a few other species that could take over that role (considering there are some couple hundred thousand species of insects inhabiting the planet...). I cant see any massive changes taking place in the world just because we will lose one species of insects - I mean, c'mon - how many species have died out over since life began on earth?? Life will be altered, but it will not completely die out, or wipe out the human race. There is far too many people on earth - many of which could survive without bees in the environment...

So far England as reported bee deaths so hasn't been affected even with a massive cell phone network

Well there you go - a bit of evidence against the theory. I'd be suprised if the dwindling populations of bees isnt something to do with their food chain or environmental conditions - you might as well blame it on nuclear radiation or the suns rays - at this point in time, I dont think there is any evidence to show that is what is causing it - almost every rumour about mobile (cell - as the yanks call them) phones has been put down as myths.

Just my take on the situation :P

Einstein may have been abit over the top, but consider:

About one-third of U.S. food depends on animal-borne pollination, and 80% of that is conducted by commercial honey bees. The Agriculture Department pegs the value of crops pollinated by bees at a whopping $14 billion.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/crop...DD6464E272C5%7D

80% ov one-third, or $14 billionworth, ov food crops would be alot to lose.

bees are just one generalist pollinator

there are many more

bluebanded bees love my salvia species for example

and trigona carbonaria bees love all flower the european bees like

all cereals are wind pollinated

most legumes are perfect flowers so self pollinated

tubers like spuds, sweet potato and cassava dont need any pollinating

most veggies dont need pollination in the field

Nut and fruit crops will be the big losers

and canola - and oil seed thats self incompatible

if european bees disappeared thered be ecological upset but i think theres plenty of redundancy in place. other minor speces would expand their range over the more aggressive honey bee

shiva i can only think of one place you could start. i think in general (there may be some exceptions?), the shortest wavelength that animals have evolved to perceive is UVA and maybe UVB, because it has always been the shortest wavelength that is prominent on the earths surface. as you say it is humans that have started propagating microwaves etc all over the place.

what you could look into, and there will be existing research, is the effects of our NOISINESS. what is barely (or not at all) distinguishable to us may be the frequency of many animals' mating calls. i don't believe any animal navigates by the stars, but imagine if they did.. all of the light dispersed into the sky from our cities would make it much harder for them.

some other ideas include radiation (although chernobyl is reported to be brimming with healthy wildlife), chemtrails, and possible effects on the magnetic field, which could theoretically let different types of cosmic radiation through in different amounts. could HAARP have a major effect? i don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist but these things warrant some attention.

Dont you watch mythbusters?? :P

it seemed pretty hard to believe that mobiles could cook eggs.

i have watched mythbusters, i'm afraid i don't think very highly of their "scientific method". sometimes they show things beyond any doubt, as in when they show something to be possible.... much of the time their experiments are not nearly broad enough. it's a tv show, it's not actual science.

i still believe that mobiles do some harm. i used to have one with the antenna-cover broken off and the antenna half shattered, and i swear my head felt different even after ten seconds of using it. sure the phone was faulty but it illustrates a point.

devance is british. why else would he say 'boffins'? detective thunder solves another case.

what about GE pollen?

im sure theyve gone way past bt toxin now

devance is british. why else would he say 'boffins'? detective thunder solves another case.

LOL :drool2:

I think I remembered it from the heavymetal magazine comic of years gone by.

Surprised anybody even new the term.

Always wanted a excuse to use it.

Bigheaded dwarfs.

But I not British.

I am simply your old style California hippie with a new set of wheels and engine.

------------------------------------------

About the cellphones what I was interested was if there was a cell phone processing difference between the British system and the affected countrys as that would be scientific difference.

British might have not adopted a newer type of digital formating for instance.

Or use a newer one.

A easy fix if that was the problem.

Its been reported that leaving a cell phone close to a hive will do the same thing as to evacuation.

A easy if expensive test.

Your right I did get boffin from a English science fiction writer know that I thought about is a bit more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RICHARD-BLADE-BOOK-SER...1QQcmdZViewItem

RICHARD BLADE by Jeffrey Lord

I read everyone of them .

About a British James Bond type character that has a computer chip imbedded and hooked to a computer and arrives nake with a severe hangover in a alternate universe.

At least a 35 book series with 35 different universes.

35 different hangovers.

I doubt it is cell phone towers?

If it was, then how come places like Europe and Japan with much higher cell tower saturation than the US have reported no bee related shenanigans...

As for the 100 phones and the egg thing, the radiation is much more increased if there is actually a conversation taking place than just ringing. Did they try that as well?

Even if the cause is found if it involves too much money the data likely wont see the light of day.

For instance this could be happening as a result of excessive exposure to estrogens from soy pollen (GM soy tends to have more estrogen, hence more bee deaths in GM soy countries) and with the US's production of soy at 168,000,000,000 kilos per year the soy lobby is a thousand times more powerful than any little bee lobby. Heck, the negative effects of soy on human health cant even be reported without being sued by the soy guys.

how come places like Europe and Japan have reported no bee related shenanigans...

not that it supports the cell phone theory, but most ov Europe has been effected, & allegedly England is also now being hit---though their government is denying it.

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/conserva...2055067,00.html

don't know about Japan though.

As for the 100 phones and the egg thing, the radiation is much more increased if there is actually a conversation taking place than just ringing. Did they try that as well?

they don't try much at all. please just don't consider 'mythbusters' to be science-related, their "experiments" are juvenile.

Guest Warrioe-Sage
they don't try much at all. please just don't consider 'mythbusters' to be science-related, their "experiments" are juvenile.

try god,he explains everything!?(what do i know!?)hehe!!just askin.....