The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ace

Verigated Loph Pics

Has anyone done any research with Lophophora variegates?

There is a lot of crossing, breeding, grafting, general cultivation of rarities such as lophs in asia (I think mostly Thailand/Japan?).

is passed more strongly via the maternal side than one would find in a non-variegated seed mom?

One would presume so, however it seems to be a fairly rare occurance in cacti and may not be something that is passed on with breeding. Certainly not enough of the verigated ones in our community to test this theory yet. Still no sign of flowers on mine so I cant say if they are even self fertile or not.

Any variegated x variegated lophophora seed out there?

Not yet that I'm aware of (at least in Australia) :(

Thanks for confirming Kada - you learn something every day! :)

I'm assuming here that they pass on well via the maternal side. Thanks for the information.

Just bringing this back up as I hope those who have some variegated specimens will pay attention. You only need one variegate to be a mom. Make those crosses with another non-variegate parent and lets get some more seed grown variegated specimens out there. Yeah, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but sometimes you have to stir the pot a bit.

which raises the question, is variegation in Lophophora __________ dominant or co-dom? im leaning towards dominant. still have not gotten any damn caespitosa to set seed yet though :scratchhead:

this thread has gotten rather lengthy without pics. here are a few, though no were near as cool as the original posts.

caespitosa

varcaest.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

ceasvar1.jpg

ceasvar2.jpg

(garbage)

3.jpg

willy-garbage

yellowwilly.jpg

I still have about 200 peyote seeds from 2008,several thousand Pedro seeds too.

Pedro may or may not be echinopsis hybrids and may or may not germinate.

If you need scion and stock seed let me know.

Despatched free of charge to the four corners of the globe.

Why do you call this one Willy Garbage? Yeah, I know variegates can be more demanding than your typical forms and much more prone to root rot, but garbage? Never call them that. Unless of course your referring to Garbage which would be a compliment. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes, so you'll have to forgive me if I misunderstand. The lime green versus yellow on dark green, I like them all. Of course the lime green being more uniform would be easier to keep going via propagation as the other would tend to throw out all kind of variables when one started grafting different proportioned pups to various stock.

I read on this forum that the original loph's were white

I think maybe your talking about "White Peyote" which is (supposed) to be an ancient form of Lophophora... so the "original" Lophophora may have been white!

You have probably come across a mis-informed post (they are rare, but have been increasingly common of late)

Was that comment aimmed toward me Ace?

garbage as in dead. solid yellow in many cacti are really really weak! Lophophora especially. all it takes is a single super hot day and some tissue will be damaged and it is game over. solid yellow Lophophora really are incredibly weak, especially in a greenhouse or outdoors (shaded)....personally i rather not have them. 50/50 green/yellow is about the best i can figure.

thats also one reason 100% yellow astro hybrids are sold so cheap, in contrast to nicely marker ones that have more green. just one of the downsides to variegation in certain species.

Cactuses seeds have now flown the nest for they have promises to keep,and a long way to go before they sleep.