The Corroboree
Mr Stay Puft

Alkaloids present in Acacia baileyana?

Hi there, just wondering if anyone knows what alkaloids if any are present in Acacia baileyana, and if so whether they would be in the variety purpurea.

If anyone knows approximate amounts of alkaloids and what parts of the plant they are present in it would also be very helpfull and much appreciated!

Thanks!

0.02% tryptamine and β-carbolines, in the leaf

Found to contain both β-carbolines and tryptamines in leaves and maybe seeds.

As for the variety purperea, your guess is as good as mine.

has anyone actually analyzed alkaloids extracted from plant material?

Or experimented with this species?

AFOAF dreamt of doing an extraction on this.

As it was their first attempt at doing it they didnt give it too much effort, didnt record anything.

A basic DMT extraction tek was followed, A/B extraction and whatnot.

Several things may have gone wrong as the end product was a few dirty smudges on the drying plate. This dust (and it was DUST, nothing like crystals) was scraped together and made about half a conesworth.

Sparkling flittering blue lights floated in their vision for ~10 seconds before disappearing. A strange overall feeling was felt for the next 10 minutes.

Somewhere in some forum there was a log of how someone did theirs. I think it may have been at EBA. I found it by googling 'acacia baileyana extraction' , but somehwere in baileyana there was a typo, and that got it into the first result.

EDIT: Just spoke with my FOAF, around 160 grams phyllode/flower (mainly phyllode) material used.

Edited by whit3rabbit

Thanks, anyone else who have had experiences it would be appreciated.

Also does plant age have a major impact on alkaloid levels?

That seems to be the way the wind blows these days, from what I gather. More knowledgable people will, no doubt, chime in. With acacias, the season apparently affects alkaloid levels aswell.

What I can be certain of, is that the phyllodes of this plant smoke real nice! :) Best smoke admixture I've tried.

Here's some purrty pictures of these bright, stunning trees for you all :)

Acacia baileyana

gallery_2345_93_17182.jpg

Acacia baileyana 'Purpurea'

gallery_2345_93_8473.jpg

Mmmm, purrty.

in my experience with A. maidenii that is definately the case, along with other factors.

but that also brings up massive moral issues with harvesting bark from beautiful old tree's.

don't do it! unless you have grown them or they are on your own land etc.

i have admittedly pruned the top most, branch ends from trees growing on my families land, which i certainly don't feel adversly affected the tree, but i don't do this any more. as so many people say so often, use the phylodes! if you don't have a species with phylode alk content, grow some!

i also wanna hear peoples experience with A. baileyana as i have a few seedling growing myself!

but that also brings up massive moral issues with harvesting bark from beautiful old tree's.

don't do it! unless you have grown them or they are on your own land etc.

I agree with you Paradox.

Although if I grew a tree up to maturity by myself for many years there's no way I could have the heart to shred it after all that time :) I think most would feel the same too.

This has been a very interesting and informative topic. Thank you.

Today I was out driving and noticed some Acacia baileyana and Acacia baileyana 'Purpurea' ALL OVER the place! Near my friends work. I wasn't sure what it was until about 15 minutes ago what it was but now im certain. I'm going to attempt a dmt extraction, I've never done it before but ive always been keen to learn. Now that i have found a massive source, i will try and keep you posted.

For the record, I decided to dry some of the bark, grind it up and smoke it. It tastes so good, i was expecting it to hurt and taste horrible but it was quite the opposite. It was smooth, not spun with tobacco/weed either. The feeling i got what strange. No visions or colours etc but I definitely felt strange. I sort of stopped what i was doing, focused on a spot and fell into like a day dream. lasted about 15 seconds then i just felt strange. I wonder if this is the kind of thing the Amazonian snuff tribes would do.

Anyway. thanks agian, ill keep you posted on any orange crystals ;)

-Halfhead

Edited by halfhead

I agree with you Paradox.

Although if I grew a tree up to maturity by myself for many years there's no way I could have the heart to shred it after all that time :) I think most would feel the same too.

uhh, i see where you are coming from. If there is a lovely tree and someone decides to hack into it and rip out some bark then wow you're a moron, you have no respect for the tree then your dmt trip should be dark. Im sure the spirit of the tree wouldnt appreciate that.

On the other hand though, If you're on the pursuit of DMT then you dont have much of a choice when it comes to hurting a tree. Just dont be so rough. I would take a branch neatly and remove the bark from the branch. Even in the amazon when they hack away at the Vine(Ayahuasca) and the DMT containing leaves from Chacruna trees. The shaman are more in touch with the plants than anyone on this forum, and they are slicing into these plants. Also, they dont take the leaves/vines from plants less than about 7-8 years old. The older the better.

Point being though, if you're going to get the bark then do it with respect for the plant. Otherwise you just dont deserve the DMT which the plant is storing in its bark and leaves and roots for us,im guessing, for the use of consciousness expansion.

-Halfhead

Edited by halfhead

can't remember where i found this but have it in my notes, 0.02% tryptamine and β-carbolines, in the leaf, Tetrahydroharman (Ott).

fyde.

I swear I have seen this topic pop up on this forum and many similar forums all over the internet and there seems to be no-one out there who has actually gone out and done the tek on it.

And it's fairly common knowledge in the entho community now that A. baileyana is beta-carboline containing, and a constitute of "aussiehuasca" however, once again, there seems to be thousands asking the "does it work" question and practically no-one out there trying it. Although I have also seen time and time again responses in forums of "oh but are the beta-carbolines in A. Baileyana an MAOI at all"....

This has to be the most common wattle in the country. Someone, somewhere must have the answer that can end all this speculation once and for all...

Although, a friend of mine told me a story about a friend who smoked A .Baileyana and found it quiet similar in feel to Syrian Rue, just notably smoother and weaker... alas, placebo action could be the cause.

Plants for Medicines (CSIRO, 1990) gives a total alkaloid content in the leaves and stem ranging from 0.005 - 0.01% dry weight, assuming a mean molecular mass of 300g/mol (DMT is 188.27g/mol). It doesn't discuss what types of alkaloids were present.

can't remember where i found this but have it in my notes, 0.02% tryptamine and β-carbolines, in the leaf, Tetrahydroharman (Ott).

fyde.

thats from dmt-wiki but they may have gotten it elsewhere too.

About alkaloid levels, it seems to differ according to certain endogenous behaviours according to each plant. Alkaloids - Secrets of life is what i was briefly reading. You should find the information you need. I was at "page 144" "Alkaloids - Secrets of life".

When you think of this logically, you would assume that the older the bark is, the more layers it has and the longer it has had to produce any said alkaloids. With the leaves you would think they wouldn't be older than 1 year, perhaps the alkaloid production in the leaves/phyllodes are much faster than that in the bark. At least for this specific acacia. I'd imagine all these factors differ from plant to plant.

general principles seem to be that tetra hydro harmanes are not very active as maoi.

and much the same for harman.

they do seem to be really nice and pleasant though and quite desirable for them selves.

t s t .

you would also look into alkaloidal differences between root bark,stem bark and leaves.maybe also seed and pods.but seeds are said to contain cysteine[sp?] and sulphur compounds [snu!]

planning on trying this tree as a Ayahuasca, dont want to have to cut the bark off, so thinking of using leaves and twigs first- any recommended weight amounts?

Edited by internettoughguy

swim

slowly found that they always preferred a more 'whole plant' experience

compared to extract for just about any ethnobotnaical.

But then concerning dmt, and the trees that bare it

they found that 'entering into the heart' of the plant

was even better again

than imbibing any of its materials at all.

They sleep with a 2 yr old Maidenii seedling one the windowsill above their head.

The pure, clear change of state that they have when approaching the plant in their mind

far exceeds and mindraping madness that comes with the blockbuster learnings of a breakthrough

'trip'.

Yes, I have literature to support alkaloid content in Acacia baileyana, also there is an MAOI component but

I know little of the concentrations.

They're so easy to grow if you have the space you could have a large specimen in 5-6 years.

Sola

Yes, I have literature to support alkaloid content in Acacia baileyana, also there is an MAOI component but

I know little of the concentrations.

They're so easy to grow if you have the space you could have a large specimen in 5-6 years.

Sola

what compounds do you claim are maoi?

t s t .

Baileyana is so weedy its not funny, im suprised there hasnt been more done with it. I grew up with it surrounding me and have seen HUGE ones removed from the forests here by the rangers as they are considered invasive, plenty material. The only other acacia i see as invasive in these parts would be saligna, good for ash according to a member here.

Is in flower now, will be bucketloads of seeds as usual if anyone wants.

I haven't done the chemistry myself so am relying on the literature for the presence of

tryptamine and tetrahydroharman. There is mention of concentrations varying throughout the year

so could be difficult to detect at some times.

I found reference to these compounds in:

Allen, J.R.F. and Holmstedt, B.R. 1979. The Simple B-Carboline Alkaloids

Bick, I.R.C. Alkaloids from Australian Flora, Department of Chemistry, Uni. of Tas.

Ratsch, C. Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants

Sola

both of those seem to only have very slight maoi ability from my understanding.maybe if tryptamine is a prefered substrate or something it may tie up mao activity and let something else be active but i think mao turn tryptamine over fairly quickly.

i expect this plant may be nice but not maoi.

t s t .

Thanks, it's good to know. It's still an interesting Acacia but probably not suitable for maoi.

Cheers

Yes i have,And it had achieved success to a extent.

whether the alkaloids where Specifically DMT or one of the various other 20 alkaloids that belong to the same family is unknown.