The Corroboree
XipeTotec

peres cuttings lost leaves

Got some peres cuttings, and some dehydrated a bit in transit, now some have lost all their leaves, will they still rott and grow new leaves... or are they lost? Also, was told they r very quick rooters.. it has been 2 weeks and no sign of roots... the seem to have gone a bit brown at tip of cut... should I be worried about this? or will they just root if I leave?

Got some peres cuttings, and some dehydrated a bit in transit, now some have lost all their leaves, will they still rott and grow new leaves... or are they lost? Also, was told they r very quick rooters.. it has been 2 weeks and no sign of roots... the seem to have gone a bit brown at tip of cut... should I be worried about this? or will they just root if I leave?

No worries, they'll pup out and get leaves once it roots.

If no roots I'd recut, dip in growth hormone and repot in moist free-draining mix. Try to cut deep enough to get to fresh, green tissue whilst keeping a total length of 5/>5cm (my preference). If you're worried about the tips becoming necrotic then you can always cut them too; it's the new branches you'll be using to graft, if that's your intention? The cut tip I'd dust with sulphur or the like, always solves my rot issues :wink: .

Free advice anyway :lol:

IME they dont grow thier leaflets back but willk grow them on the new growth the comes from the tip..

mine often start growing "pups" before they root. sometimes it takes a week, some have taken 4 weeks (and look very dehydrated). some are only 1-2 cm high, some are big. they generally grow fine if left alone.

yeah they will be alright, maybe follow the advice of recutting but in my experience they grow very easily i often just chuck them in some soil and leave them and eventually they spit out pups and roots i dotn think one has ever died on me. even ones totally neglected

IME they dont grow thier leaflets back but willk grow them on the new growth the comes from the tip..

I've had this happen only once.

post-1697-1176005824_thumb.jpg

This one was a failed graft, after the pup pushed the scion off. On the other side you can see one leaf has grown, that wasnt there when I tried the graft, I thought it was a new pup but it stopped just there.

post-1697-1176005885_thumb.jpg

This was an unrooted, leafless cutting I recieved, all I did was stick it in the dirt and watered it in, it did ther rest :)

I've never had problems with rooting them so I cant offer any suggestions there.

I was going to post all this last night but the camera was dead, better late then never I suppose

Ive found that the leaves will sprout roots too if you plant them while they're still plump and healthy, a slow way to go, but with patience, it ends up being a mass production before you know it.

Just stick as many as you can fit in a pot, pointy end up and keep moist (not wet) strike rate is low, but hey, you'd just be throwing them out anyway...

I got some cuttings in the mail, planted them and soon the leaves all fell off.

Couple of weeks later they all grew nice big juicy leaves and were looking great.

But recently all the ones I moved outside lost their leaves..

Mine have lost there leaves i just assumed it was because of winter and the cold morning frosts...

Oh crap i just dugg up a really ancient post, sorry i wasn't even looking at the dates untill now..

Edited by vual

i didn't read this entire thread properly so excuse me if I'm repeating information.

pere's grow leaves designed for the situation they are growing in. If you move them to a different situation they will drop the leaves they had previously grown and grow ones suited to the new one.

They are crazy tough plants and short of jumping on them 20 times and pouring boiling water on them I think you would have a hard time killing them.

peace