The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

was reading this yesturday with my jaw on the floor, defies comprehension, BUT obviously doesnt reflect the entire gay community. to imagine they have terms like 'bug chasers' and 'conversion parties', shite! i dont even know how to react to that. but we cant forget that the hetero community also has some equally twisted members.

SHOCKED.

what has this got to do with 'the gay community'? This is about a few sick and twisted individuals who are as much hated and feared by the gay community as they are by the hetero community. :angry:

It's also worth pointing out that most of the intentional infection cases in the western world have been straight guys infecting women.

tepa, you really should have a look at the way you word this and how offensive that is to the other 99.999% of the gay community. I mean, I don't make generalisations about the hetero community just because a few bad apples like to rape women. :BANGHEAD2: Geez, get some perspective!

As for the funky terms they cite, just remember how inventive the media gets with drug terms and how we [as more open minded and realistic folk] often recognise them as nothing more than media hype and stereotyping. Do you think the gay community is immune to that? And yes, I am sure there is the odd fucked up guy who actually does this, but the way the media portrays it is as if this is what happens at every gay club.

Maybe it has omthing to do with the gay comunity because these where gay parties deliberately for that purpose... not to say that all are like that, think of it as the same way with islamic dudes,moderate on one hand and completely fucked up on the other. Im sure there are just as many hetro males and females that do the same, on a smaller scale. that said, i dont think homosexualality is "natural" coz it serves no planetary purpose other then cheap thrills... ALso that said i dont have a facist attitude to people that are gay, its just my opinion and like everyone else i have one.

And Torsten, your sweep at hetro rapes of women, there are just as many gay rapes.

Haha. That paragraph is so loaded with guano.

i dont think homosexualality is "natural" coz it serves no planetary purpose other then cheap thrills...

So you think homosexuals are just "putting it on"?

What about hetero sex with a condom or contraception pill? Natural? No supposed planetary purpose according to your rules..

i dont think homosexualality is "natural" coz it serves no planetary purpose other then cheap thrills...

whats wrong with cheap thrills? lol :)

As for the funky terms they cite, just remember how inventive the media gets with drug terms and how we [as more open minded and realistic folk] often recognise them as nothing more than media hype and stereotyping. Do you think the gay community is immune to that? And yes, I am sure there is the odd fucked up guy who actually does this, but the way the media portrays it is as if this is what happens at every gay club.

I always get my news from Herald Sun/Newscorp. :rolleyes:

As for the question raised in the topic headline, no. Sometimes i question this Ethno community . I live on the fringes of it anyway.

Edit- Clarity.

you have my apologie torsten, please edit the title to what u feels appropriate

tempting, but no thanks. I think your reaction is exactly what the media tries to elicit and I feel there will be many more who will react like that. This thread is thus representative of what goes on in many minds. In fact it clearly shows that no amount of psychedelics can truely open a closed mind

btw, you should read what the gay press has to say about all this. This is a huge topic for the gay community.

Ooooh, I can see this thread heading for the bin.

tepa, there is more to genetics than simple direct selection on a single gene.

You're probably 100% correct for doubting the existence of a "gay gene". And yes, it would be maladaptive.

There is evidence to suggest that there could be genetic factors contributing to homosexuality (eg twin studies). There are a whole host of maternally imprinted post-fertilisation processes for instance (like DNA methylation) that have a genetic impact. These types of changes are not necessarily heritable which makes them invisible to selection and avoids the problem of "maladaption".

It is almost certainly a shade of grey. There are many interacting factors at play contributing to homosexuality.

It is in an interesting area of study for sure.

Why? I feel like your trying to play up the minority victim here for some reason

I offended u, i apologised, now im trying to rectify the situation. If not, Then il edit my post for you & revoke my apology which is falling on deaf ears

Your apology was much more meaninful before you posted this:

"how can have respect for a man that skips his duty to be a good man to his wife and raise children, too weak to take on the duty and procreate."

This is so ridiculous that I am still not sure if it is meant to be sarcasm or not. Either way, again there will be some people who think like that so it's good to leave that visible for others who think this society has come further than it really has.

I don't make a good victim. I am tough and ugly enough to stand up for myself. However, I know that many people are still victims because of the bigotry that exists in this society. Homophobia is just one of my pet hates. Reading articles like the one you posted gives me the creeps about what effect this has on innocent individuals, ie the hatred this will breed against gays [gays who probably feel just as strongly about that article as you do]. But it is reponses like yours that show just why the media even bothers.

As for that procreation argument, procreating is about the last thing this planet needs. Having kids is shortsighted and selfish. Now, I realise that it is imprinted into the primitive brain and we have a firm believe to have the right to procreate endlessly, but seriously, step back and have a good think about it and tell me who benefits from you having children and how much longer will that policy be viable? Maybe an increase in homosexuality is just Gaia's way of telling us to stop making more humans. If so, then homophobes are in for a rude shock over the next few decades as the earth runs out of everything.

I never understood homophobia - I mean, straight guys should be happy that so many of the good looking male members of the species aren't competing with them for the female genepool :rolleyes: . Then again I have yet to meet an intelligent homophobe.

Morg - many gays are curious about whether it is genetic or not. They are generally the insecure ones who are looking for answers. But most simply don't care. It's mostly straight people who do the research and who discuss it. Personally I think there are much more exciting things to research

Experiments with behavioural treatment [eg christian gay cures] have not produced any lasting results which indicates to me that as long as no one is getting hurt it really doesn't matter who is gay and who isn't and we should stop imposing this concept on individuals. I would think that finding a cure for homophobia would be a much more worthwhile pursuit as it is actually hurting people and causing problems in society.

I am curious, how does methylation come into this? And would this then not be random?

And Torsten, your sweep at hetro rapes of women, there are just as many gay rapes.

The rest of your post is too silly to get into, but this last bit is plain and simple factually wrong and merely highlights your prejudice..

i never would have thought homophobia would exist here!?

come on tepa, are u serious?

damaged, troubled and fucked up ppl do these sorts of things, the fact they may be gay or straight is irrelevant.

i will stop myself from continuing as i think Torsten has said what needs to be said.

open up ppls!!!! where's the love??

x

in fact, mods, can this go in the bad shit thread...

it can be learnt from but this would change my opinion on the ethno community if i weren't already a member...

it should be made clear that such views are definately not supported by the majority...

...cos they're not, are they?

x

Experiments with behavioural treatment [eg christian gay cures] have not produced any lasting results which indicates to me that as long as no one is getting hurt it really doesn't matter who is gay and who isn't and we should stop imposing this concept on individuals.

i hear electroshock has had some great results in curing people of gayness.

The rest of your post is too silly to get into, but this last bit is plain and simple factually wrong and merely highlights your prejudice..

it happens all the time on "OZ"

And if homosexuality was a genetic thing which I highly doubt, The laws of nature would have selected against homosexuals and they wouldnt keep popping up. Theyd be non existant due to the fact they wouldnt pass on the gay gene

a while back i was talking to a phd student doing biology. he suggested that homosexuality was possibly a genetic response to overpopulation i.e. you'd get a lower rate of homosexuality in low-density areas. though for many reasons it'd be hard to test this theory.

how can have respect for a man that skips his duty to be a good man to his wife and raise children, too weak to take on the duty and procreate.

then again not everybody should procreate...

i'm very offended by this comment, and i'm straight. i'm not sure if i want to have kids, and am tending towards not... i think a VAST MAJORITY of people shouldn't procreate.

Im not being homophobic, sexist or anything. Im stating my ideas and thoughts on homosexuality, freedom of speech. its not about being politicly correct so ppl dont get offended.

tepa, you are being homophobic. Perhaps not intentionally, but phobias are not the product of rational thought. You are very clearly passing a moral judgement on people who are not heterosexual. That is called homophobia.

Ridiculous! Your father your fathers father your fathers fathers father all their work, every breath they took! All the pain they endured! raising their children! it boils all the way down to you torsten! It would be SELFISH of you to have all their work, pain and love for you in this point of time go in vain by not continuing your lineage for another generation. the circle of life continues, im sure in your parents age they had the same fears and worrys of the future as you do now.

BAH! BAH! I thouroughly stand against your comment.

You obviously don't understand genetics all that well. My family's gene pool is doing just fine - even with me slacking off on my 'duties' :rolleyes:. You must to have a pretty inflated sense of selfworth to think that your genes are so special that humanity can't do without them.

What is a much greater duty to our kids these days is to save on resources so they can prosper. I am doing my nephews a big favour by not producing more competition for them. The genepool could do just fine if we all just had one kid and reversed population growth. I mean, where is it suppsoed to end? Unless we find a way off this rock we will eventually hit the limit no matter how optimistic your outlook on the future is.

As for my father, father's father, etc etc, that's bullshit. They are dead. Their genes are continuing without me. We are not that unique that every family needs to have 2 or more kids just to keep the genes going. Anyway, what sort of chauvinist are you to only care about father's genes? what about mother's genes? not important to you?

Im not being homophobic, sexist or anything. Im stating my ideas and thoughts on homosexuality, freedom of speech. its not about being politicly correct so ppl dont get offended.

Funny how quickly bigots invoke their freedom of speech. Just before you get too carried away let me refresh your memory that freedom of speech is generally only accepted in our society until it encroaches or limits another individual's freedoms. Some of the shit you are spouting here is pretty borderline and I think most of us would appreciate it if you would take your crap elsewhere. I hear other forums support absolute freedom of speech regardless of effect on others, so why not make yourself at home there.

A wise forum owner once said a metaphor along the lines of this

'If you make a post, and apologise but dont change it then your apology means nothing. Its like riding off with someones bike and saying sorry'

That was you torsten, you told someone off for the same thing your doing now by not changing my offensive title and letting me revoke my insulting comments.

Apology revoked hipocrip , have it your way

The quote you just posted is in support of what I just said in case you didn't notice :wacko: . Apologies are worthless unless they are truthful. And if they are truthful then they should be remedied. Why would you post an apology and then write the next offensive thing in the next post? obviously you didn't mean the apology in the first place. Why should I stick my neck out and edit a post you made if you really really deep down don't want it edited?

A truthful apology is also usually not revoked. You can really only revoke an apology you made for tactical reasons.

I think you have made your position abundantly clear in this thread and have shown yourself for what you are.