The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Birdman

Quick Sub. ?

Evening evryone,

With Sub season just around the corner, ive been wondering if they favour

one particular Eucccy over another? Any thoughts? :shroomer:

Hmm, very interesting question birdman - I havent ever read about them prefering one species over another, I've heard they like pinus radiata (common plantation pine), but nothing about the eucky varieties...

It would certainly make hunting easier/safer if we were able to pinpoint the correct species. Any seasoned hunters able to share some of their sagely wisdom?

Hmm, very interesting question birdman - I havent ever read about them prefering one species over another, I've heard they like pinus radiata (common plantation pine), but nothing about the eucky varieties...

It would certainly make hunting easier/safer if we were able to pinpoint the correct species. Any seasoned hunters able to share some of their sagely wisdom?

maybe we are talking about different sub varieties.... the ones around here and in my home state... I have only seen growing around eucalypts... dont know the tree species though... but 2 different states.. I would imagine they would be different tree species. Obtuse will be able to clarify on the sub species I am talking about, if he is about.

Edited by shroomytoonos

good question.

Even if i could tell one sort of Euc from another, my eyes are too firmly fixed on the ground to notice the Euc trees around at that time of year. :P

I dont really think it makes a great deal of difference, as Ace said, they grow on radiata wood so any Euc would proly do, and they seem to thrive under/around the bracken fern, the subs from the native trees seem to have more "depth" and create a far better journey than the ones from pines IME.

:shroomer::shroomer::shroomer::shroomer::shroomer:

Hmmm, wheres Blue Meanie when we need him!!?!?!?! :shroomer:

Maybe some of the members who remember some spots could take some pics of the euc's they grow under so we can get some ID's on the trees. At least we'll get a visual of the trees to look for :)

Very doubtful they favor one species over another, I have seen them growing near Blue gum and Sugar gum plantations also in the bush setting with Stringy bark, Paper bark, Messmate ect ect..

Hi Guys,

In my varied travels around the place I have found subs in many places,

near:

Eucys, different types (I don't know a lot about eucalyptus)

braken

grass/braken

manferns

wattles

around other natives.

I have never found subs in pine forests, but then i never really looked for them in these places.

so i don't think eucys are an essential part of the equation. what they like is semi-decomposed wooden matter of many types.

Some types of subs prefer some conditions over others, I have never found the twisty brown subs in the same place as the bright golden subs.

Thanks Harry for this great suggestion:

Maybe some of the members who remember some spots could take some pics of the euc's they grow under so we can get some ID's on the trees. At least we'll get a visual of the trees to look for

I will make an effort to post the surrounding trees and shrubs when i next take some pics.

Where is bluemeanie??? I had some questions to ask him.

I know the question is already answered but though i might elaborate with my own experience.

Cheers, Obtuse

Some types of subs prefer some conditions over others, I have never found the twisty brown subs in the same place as the bright golden subs.

I think rather that the subs are probably of a fairly stable phenotype (wavy cap subs being the exclusion, or another stable phenotype) and macroscopic features are influenced by the nutrient and moisture makeup of the substrate.

From my experience, pine trees tend to give off the bright golden caps (even before fading), so maybe soil acidity is a factor here.

Apart from all the substrates mentioned so far, I would also like to add sometimes Melaleuca species, which I also hear the NZ pouch fungus also grows under.