The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bit

Cacti rescue... IDs please! :)

Question

Seems I've become the local cacti rescue person... you know how it is.. someone discovers you like cacti and suddenly they're like - oh I've got this old prickly thing I don't like.. do you want it... and you can't say no...

So without further ado, here are my latest additions:

1) I haven't had a chance to repot these yet - 2 succulents, or succulent + cacti? Names?

IMG_0642.jpg

2) Yes I know there's a scop there, I'm interested in knowing if anyone has an ID for the opuntia. I think I've seen it referred to as Christmas tree cactus. Came to me in a real bad state with hardly any greenery, just grey/brown stalks about 5 weeks ago. See what a little care can do?

IMG_0641.jpg

3) Ok this wasn't a rescue - but what is it - cactus / succulent? Seems to produce blunt spines seasonally? :S It's about 20cm tall.

IMG_0638.jpg

4) One rescue (the hairy beast), and one came in the pot with my big scop. IDs?

IMG_0639.jpg

5) Couple more rescues - left one is testament to caci hardiness, looked completely dead when I got it, the main trunk has a hole right through it looks like it's been eaten. Right one is in good health. IDs? (front is offshoots from #4)

IMG_0637.jpg

Cheers!!!

10 answers to this question

OK here goes...

1a) (1/2) Back - Crassula gollum

1b) (2/2) Front - Gasteria variegata

2) Bad memory :blush: , can't decide between Opuntia or Mamm.

3) Euphorbia mamillaris 'Variagata' 'The Corn Cob'

4a) (1/2) Back - Oreocereus celsianus (if not this then def one of the old men ;) )

4b) (2/2) Front - Mammillaria gracilis (nice one :lol: )

5a) (1/3) Back left - Golden Torch (Rat's tail mebbe?)

5b) (2/3) Front left - more Mammillaria gracilis

5c) (3/3) Front right - can't tell from the photo, sorry :wink:.

So guys and gals, how'd I go? Have a good one all :lol: ,

dqd

I think dqd is pretty spot on with all guesses there :) I cant really tell any others that havent been named - perhaps someone else could assist?

5c) (3/3) Front right - can't tell from the photo, sorry :wink:.

Looks like a Rebutia sp. don't know which sp. though.

You did well dqd my friend.

:)

Seems I've become the local cacti rescue person... you know how it is.. someone discovers you like cacti and suddenly they're like - oh I've got this old prickly thing I don't like.. do you want it... and you can't say no...

Wish i could say the same! No one gives me any cacti.

:wacko:

Awesome, thanks dqd! I will post a better pic of #5 soon. It was just about to start raining so was in a real hurry :)

Ok, as promised a couple of better pics, and a couple more!

This is (5c)

IMG_0645.jpg

(5a) - You can see the damage the poor thing's been through..

IMG_0646.jpg

Unknown euphorbia (apart from only one spine, what's the diff between this and a cactus?)

IMG_0648.jpg

Christate cactus (go mitre 10!!) .. couldn't believe it when I found this guy... $10.. he's about 15cm tall!

IMG_0647.jpg

I thought so from the first pic, 5a is a Trich spachianus?

5c really looks Rebutia graciliflora.

5a am pretty sure is an Echinipsos [T. spachianus like apoth said probably, wait til it's grown a bit more I reckon]

Unknown euphorbia (apart from only one spine, what's the diff between this and a cactus?)

Not sure on the species but main difference would be the caustic latex they have for sap, and mostly originating in Africa and not the Americas, not sure botanically/morphologically, could find out if you're really keen.

Also the flowers differ in that they are highly reduced and unisexal, borne with a cup-shaped inflorescence called a cyathium. The cyathia can be monoecious or dioecious.

The cristate one looks to be either a Euphorbia lactea variegata cristata? or a cristate Opuntia sp. best way to check is to nick it and see if it has white milky sap or just wounds like an ordinary cactus.

Edited by tonic

The cristate one looks to be either a Euphorbia lactea variegata cristata? or a cristate Opuntia sp. best way to check is to nick it and see if it has white milky sap or just wounds like an ordinary cactus.

Thanks tonic :) Pretty sure the cristate one is a cactus - I've seen pleny of no christate with the same colouration. Thought perhaps it's closer to a stenocereus than opuntia.

IMG_0647crop.jpg

Yeah i'd have to agree. Not sure about it being Stenocereus sp., what makes you think it is? Not used to seeing them in the cristate form if it is. Would be keen to hear back if you can get a positive ID. It's definitely an interesting looking cactus.