The Corroboree
mammoth

kava recipes

hey guys! does anyone have any kava recipes that they are willing to share. Or have any really good kava related links.

Thanks heaps for your time. :)

hey guys! does anyone have any kava recipes that they are willing to share. Or have any really good kava related links.

Thanks heaps for your time. :)

i just blend water and kava with a blender.

Hey mammoth,

I find Milk and Milo to be a great admixture to kava.

I usually use half water to half milk, dump in finely powdered kava(buzz kava in coffee grinder and use a kitchen sieve or cheese cloth to divide finer particles) add plenty of milo give it a good stir and gulp way, :drool2:

because the texture of the milo is similiar to the kava you dont even notice the gritty bits of kava. You will get no wastage this way it tastes rather nice and I reckn the addition of milk makes it gentle of the stomach.

Alternatively if you wish to strain your drink to remove the fibrous shit you can make it the same, but put it in a blender for a good 5mins and let sit in the fridge for a half hr before straining and adding flavorings.

It took me a little while but I can now enjoy the taste of good kava, on occasion I have chewed up spoonfuls of powder just like a virgin...yum :wub:

all milk no water, goes great with bannana milk, add a dash of coconut and some white rum.

soooooo nice i can smell it just thinking of it :worship:

Baccy and I would sit down with a 2 litre brew of this now and then, quickly became prefered method even without the rum or coconut

I usually have it with Milo...it goes well.

I've heard Baileys is a good choice when ingesting Kava...havent tried this though.

Look if I'm not getting any of it then noone's allowed to talk about it... :P... jk.

I tried mixing it in various ways, the best seems to be a thick, icey (little crystals best) banana smoothie. That was the best, everything else was pretty off to me... smoothies are good for people that can't handle the sawdust sensation etc, or if you don't want to be picking it out of your teeth for ages afterwards..keeps the spikies in suspension and nicely coated, the ice helps your tastebuds not notice the bullshit you're trying to pull on them. But having said all that, I just mix it thick with a little bit of water, til it's a paste, then add about double that amount of water, stir like hell and swill like a pig, sometimes milk afterwards..mixing it with dairy gives it a smell of... well a not very nice smell, reminds me of a terrible night on the scotch I once had... Someone else says to say that Bailey's n kava would be a criminal waste of good Baileys.

but it's all good, I love the drink but loath the taste... but I could smell a bag of it from a K away on a clear day haha.

greendreams

quote: I tried mixing it in various ways, the best seems to be a thick, icey (little crystals best) banana smoothie. That was the best, everything else was pretty off to me...

i can't see how an icey kava extraction can be regarded as the best...

cold proly means you leave a lot of the actives behind.

traditionaly room temperatur water is used.

i think the taste of kava is realy nice and i get everytime a lil bit offended by people describing it's taste as off, revolting, like dishwater and so on. kava is a very special plant, to some it might be a sacrament, talking about it's taste in a degrading mannor, shows me you don't properly respect this ethnogen.

most of us here love plants and there products and i believe this is the way to go about.

if one exclaims this herb tastes foul, one removes oneselfe from the possebilety to love the substance, and so forth you will not be able to reach the full potential with each given material....

baileys?? gee, i would never waste good kava on shitty alcohol.

baileys you can buy everywhere, it's alcohol made taste sweet so beginners or girls can gulp it down.

good kava is very rare, even good money can't buy it.

Edited by planthelper

quote: I tried mixing it in various ways, the best seems to be a thick, icey (little crystals best) banana smoothie. That was the best, everything else was pretty off to me...

i think the taste of kava is realy nice and i get everytime a lil bit offended by people describing it's taste as off, revolting, like dishwater and so on. kava is a very special plant, to some it might be a sacrament, talking about it's taste in a degrading mannor, shows me you don't properly respect this ethnogen.

most of us here love plants and there products and i believe this is the way to go about.

if one exclaims this herb tastes foul, one removes oneselfe from the possebilety to love the substance, and so forth you will not be able to reach the full potential with each given material....

baileys you can buy everywhere, it's alcohol made taste sweet so beginners or girls can gulp it down.

planthelper... lots entheogenic plants taste like shit... admit it, there is no shame with a plant not suiting your taste buds. If you find the taste of kava pleasant, thats great, others may not though, its not cause they hate the plant(personally, i find it not to bad once my lips go numb). secondly, as kava is infused with liquid, (as opposed to alkaloids being water soluble) I would have thought, as you are intaking the raw material, that you are going to get actives no matter what. regards

Edited by shroomytoonos

i havent drunk (or ingested) kava for a while because its effects are way too long lasting for me (2 days is not convenient)

but when i used to drink it a lot, i still hated the taste. Darcy reckons that mixing into a sort of milkshake is good. I tried that but didn't agree :)

in theend i used to just blend it together with orange or apple juice. No point trying to sweeten something as bitter as kava root :)

just gulp it down... i used to just gulp down including all the roughage. Because after our experience with Elvis, we know that roughage is essential to good bowel health.

People talking badly about kava's taste isn't disrespecting the plant by any means. I see it as being honest. There is no big deal really...if you like taste of kava, great...if not, no problem. It is possible to love the plant but hate the taste as I do. I usually add several heaped spoons of Milo to a glass of kava with milk to make it somewhat palatable. This does the trick for me.

In regard to Baileys as a mixing medium, I havent tried it but I think it would go well. I read about it in the book "Happy High Herbs" by Ray Thorpe. (A reccomended read btw).

Wow...never realised that my tastebuds were that important to anyone else, let alone what conclusions I drew from their view on something. Some thigns taste like shit. SOme things, like galangal, taste worse than shit. I love rum but can't drink whisky...to me it tastes like shit. I'm not implying offense to the thing itself, the people who love it, or any benefit it has ever given to anyone.

I'm as planty n open as the next person but seriously... you can't expect everyone to think like you, or keep quiet about it if they don't. If you take time to read my previous and elsewhere, you'll find I love the stuff, find it very very handy as a medicinal and a social thing... but it's a plant. It won't get offended. If your culture feels that their are beings involved, then rest assured I don't have anything against the beings or the beings that believe in em. I'm sure there's plenty of locals in places that have been knocking it down for years that think it tastes like shit too... you think rum tastes like heavens nectar to me? nah, tastes like a rank combo of fusels and esters... but it is a taste I have acquired, and learnt to enjoy ina social context.Associative I guess.

As for extracts, iceyiness etc... most people (yes even "traditional" users) basically aim to get as many fine particles as they can to hang out in water long enough to get into their bellies.If taste was that critical and beloved theyd be munching a pinch of powder all day surely..kava gum...kava sandwiches...kava toothpaste...kava flavoured condoms...The natural acidity of the water used to make the blend means an emulsive film can form at times but I don't think it's too critical to getting assistance from the plant.If you want "best extraction" why drink it at all, play with iso or ketones or something.

I don't mean to sound offensive at the moment, but I'm fairly offended that anyone else would dare to tell me how to feel about something that is entirely subjective. (without perhaps realising how I really feel about the plant in question anyway...) there'd be someone out there right into licking toads... but for em to expect anyone else to not only love the taste of toad drippings, but to refrain from any kind of critical commentary about the taste of toads in general. Despite that fact that said toadlicker might live somewhere that there aren't naturally occuring toads and pays top dollar to get hold of em, or has to go to toadland with their annual leave to try nice, fresh, juicy toads.

Kava...I love it...isn't that the point?

greendreams

tacked on bit > I don't think that the sacred essence of kava , if it had personality enough to feel "slighted", would have the kind of personality that would appreciate me bickering on the internet :P sorry folks.

Edited by greendreams

planthelper... lots entheogenic plants taste like shit... admit it

hmm, i might have tasted shit as an infant, but anyway even without remebering excactly how shit tastes, it doesn't, even remotely taste like kava.

planthelper... lots entheogenic plants taste like shit... admit it

hmm, i might have tasted shit as an infant, but anyway even without remebering excactly how shit tastes, it doesn't, even remotely taste like kava.

sorry , I got kava mixed up with another sacred plant, poopoowa.

Edited by shroomytoonos

I personally think that one can learn to like anything. Taste is often a cultivated thing, though, granted most people probably wouldn't like the taste of Kava. I've only drunk kava a handful of times, but I must admit I didn't think the taste was that awful especially if drank quickly. I like to think that the taste is "difficult" so that one has to work a bit for the desired effects. Sort of like the pain a runner experiences before the endorphines kick in. Many things in life worthy of exploration start out as being unpleasant. I would describe Kava that way. For me the juice is worth the squeeze. :lol: Here's the recipe I used:

http://www.nakamalathome.com/Kava/Kava_Recipe/Kava_Recipe/

That reminds me that I'm out and need to order some more. B)

I personally think that one can learn to like anything. Taste is often a cultivated thing, though, granted most people probably wouldn't like the taste of Kava. I've only drunk kava a handful of times, but I must admit I didn't think the taste was that awful especially if drank quickly. I like to think that the taste is "difficult" so that one has to work a bit for the desired effects. Sort of like the pain a runner experiences before the endorphines kick in. Many things in life worthy of exploration start out as being unpleasant. I would describe Kava that way. For me the juice is worth the squeeze. :lol: Here's the recipe I used:

http://www.nakamalathome.com/Kava/Kava_Recipe/Kava_Recipe/

That reminds me that I'm out and need to order some more. B)

Quick thought: I can believe most edibles can be adjusted to, but ('edible') shrooms have to be up the top in the "never will be able to eat without heaving" category... :shroomer:

Anyway back to the subject - kava - it's not that bad IMHO, but that does depend on how much you drink.

When I was in Fiji, I was visiting a village with a group of people and was made the "visiting chief". What this meant is that I was offered a lot more than the others were, as it was disrespectful not accepting the seemingly never ending offers with their 'coconut cup'. The taste begun to get worse and worse, even though my mouth and throat were getting number and number.

Difficult indeed! But in the end very well worth it :)

Peace

KlUe

Sorry, thought maybe there was a matter of unintentional but inevitable offence .... now I know it's just a matter of semantics I feel a lot better :D Glad we could clear that up... silly me for thinkin the phrase "tastes like shit" would be taken at face value on a predominately Australian website! :P

It IS great stuff but watch the frequency of dosing or ya skin seems to erupt into a variety of interesting and fun to scratch lumps bumps n scaly bits.

The waka I was getting was a lot better than most "incense only' sacks o dust going around, but being a fijian product sold out of a fijian indian run fijian indian grocery store might have something to do with that... tried some that a mate got hold of, almost ochre colour rather than beige, much spicier...tasty, but hit me more like galangal did...a lot "sharper' and "hotter"....sparkier feeling. Severe numbing verging on burning sensation, skin broke out in tickbite like lumps the next day. Didn't try it again, but it wasn't bad overall.

stay chilly

GD

tried the milk thing last night, didnt have enough so I used my partners Soy instead. Milk soy and choco, quite pleasant, I will never drink with water again

Edited by shroomytoonos

I'm with PH on this one. It's not a fucking milkshake, it's an ethnogen to be appreciated. Whilst the taste may not be the best (only in reference to our western dietry acceptance), it's hardly a san-pedro juice.

That said, I prolly barsardise it by blending with full cream milk and leaving to steep for 24 hours. The root matter expands a lot, but its all drinkable without flavour-added milo-goodness. I recall that fat/oil content of the suspension liquid in fact extract the kalaclone(?) alkaloids from the fibrous roughage.

Saturated fat may be the ext. key here, which may make soy 'milk' redundant in this 'erbal prep.

I'm with PH on this one. It's not a fucking milkshake, it's an ethnogen to be appreciated. Whilst the taste may not be the best (only in reference to our western dietry acceptance), it's hardly a san-pedro juice.

The one time I drank a Pedro brew I didn't think that the taste was that bad. Kava is slightly more difficult for me and the more you drink it the harder it is to control that gag reflex. P. Viridis is by far the hardest thing for me to drink. I've never tried to mix any of these with anything, because the plants would overpower anything that you tried to mix it with. It would be a mute point IMO.

The thing with straight kava in milk (ok, perhaps a contradiction) is that the 'yukky' taste is very short lived, whilst I am led to believe that the pedro sticks around for longer. However, to speak of ethno's in general, and the bitterness, a very interesting aspect was observed by a contributor here a few years back. And it's one that I subscribe to. if you abstain from 'sweet' foods for a week prior to ingesting some 'nasties', the sour/bitter/awful aspect will be greatly diminished. It's hardly a sacrifice for myself, as I am a 'savoury' person, but I experimented and spent a week eating sweets, chocolate, sugared tea, high fructose produce, and lo and behold, the ethno of choice at the time (im not imcriminating myself here) was far, far more unpleasant than my prior experiences. So all I can suggest is that if anyone's going to take a bitter substance, perhaps they might limit their sugar intake in teh week prior.

Dunno aboout that with Kava, tho, to me its no real problem, apart from the 'bottom of the cup' goodies, and even that 'bad' sensation is short-lived.

I don't find it too painful, and it's worth the effects (well worth it, if it tasted too good I'd be sippin it night n day...well, if I had any, mumblemumble) but I tend to knock it back after work to tell my spine its time to knock off for the day, empty stomach and general buggerdness tends to combine sometimes into ...well, yknow when something is that weird it kinda makes your head wobble on your neck ? (sounds weird but if you get it ya know what I mean).. my other half shudders just hearing me talk about it haha. I still think the best way is water stir gulp :D heard of someone smoking and extract and then freaking out thinking they weren't breathing due to no sensation in the lungs only the diaphragm moving, serves ya right for getting too technical with something that is pretty well balanced as it is . I always feel a bit sorry for the people that only think to get it from the chemist, those ghastly horse capsules with about half a pinch of bugger all in each one...nasty... people are so plant-o-phobic :D

I've been doing the dodgy choc milk thing for too long, it just doesn't feel right. Does anyone have any good links or experience with traditional kava recipes?

Edited by prier

I have a question for you people that make kava into milkshakes. Do you strain the kava or just drink it mixed in without straining it? Also how much do you add to your milkshake?