The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jesus On Peyote

Coffea arabica

Hail,

Iv been thinking for abit about growing my own coffe to see how it tastes home grown.Has anyone got any experience with growing Coffea plants, mainly about a good soil that itl like? Iv read it takes like 4 to 6 years so i wanna get the soil right b4 they go in.

Thanks

I have one, and i find a compost rich area with medium sunlight and plenty of water allows it to kick along quite nicely. They grow easily from seed!

Hail,

Iv been thinking for abit about growing my own coffe to see how it tastes home grown.Has anyone got any experience with growing Coffea plants, mainly about a good soil that itl like? Iv read it takes like 4 to 6 years so i wanna get the soil right b4 they go in.

Thanks

Make sure you grow lots them as my experience indicates that you require alot of the roasted beans to make 1 cup of coffee.

Nestle have not called one of their products NESCAFE BLEND 43 for nothing......43 beans for one cup! Plus it is very hard to get a good roast without a tumble roaster which gives even heat distribution....I don't even know if tumble roasters exist outside of industry!

Good luck, I am sure it will taste tops but is alot of work for a cuppa!

Cheers..............Bongchitis

I think it was tripitaka that suggested using a popcorn machine to roast beans/seeds?...

... mind you, I could be wrong :lol:

evenin all...hope the week's off to a smooth start.

I picked up a stunted looking coffee plant from the northey st markets in brissie, bunged it in my standard mix of 85 percent dolomite washed coco peat , the rest made of river sand an just a dash of decent compost, nice and alive. Blood n bone potash and kelp flakes added. My baby is steaming, only a metre of so tall but bearing beans quite happily in fairly deep shade...full sun knocked it around a fair bit. magnesium seems to be the key.Might get a couple cups off it this year and itwas less than a foot tall a couple years ago. Now living in a 430mm pot on the shady side of a grevillea. Got some photos if ya want em.

Be kind to yourself

Aaron the greendreamer

If you can wait for beans, Im pretty sure the leaves of the plant are also used (in africa?) but im not a coffee drinker so am not much help.

Wheres my bombilla?

If you can wait for beans, Im pretty sure the leaves of the plant are also used (in africa?) but im not a coffee drinker so am not much help.

Wheres my bombilla?

You'll always find a mate in mate! :lol: (where's the accent when you need one? Is there a way to add accent to marks on an aussie keyboard?).

I have 2 arabica about 1m tall each. I use a relatively free-draining mix but with reasonable water retention, and they are 100% shade though well-lit. Had my first flowers this year (2 on one plant :lol: ), and am looking at getting a couple more soon, (plants, not flowers :wink: , though more flowers would be nice). Mine don't like full sun at all! They are also the dwarf variety. Good luck with your growing!