The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
KlUe

Fertilizing schedules

Hi all

Has anyone got a good method to keep track of their various plants fertilizing?

I know i've seen a program based on MJ to keep track of your fertilizing (and would work with anything else) but i cant seem to find it..

My memory sucks when it comes to fertilizing so i thought i'd ask some other greenies about their methods (if any) :)

Hi all

Has anyone got a good method to keep track of their various plants fertilizing?

I know i've seen a program based on MJ to keep track of your fertilizing (and would work with anything else) but i cant seem to find it..

My memory sucks when it comes to fertilizing so i thought i'd ask some other greenies about their methods (if any) :)

i do it all at once... lately once a month with fish emulsion.

I fertilise on the weekend. I water every second day or there abouts for vascular plants, depending on weather. I water my cacti once a week during growing season.

1/2 strength thrive for everything except my cacti on one weekend.

1/2 strength fish emulsion/charley carp on the alternate weekend for everything including cacti.

I also use a handfull of good slow release fertiliser for all plants at the start of spring and start of summer.

Dilute urine solution (piss in a 10L bucket) for all plants except cacti when I remember.

Doing it all on the weekend, and alternately, makes it pretty easy to keep track of 'what you did last weekend'.

Hope this helps.

Cheers...................Bongchitis

Hi Bongchitis,

Thats a fantastic sounding method.

I'm going to take up the same routine, as i'm always losing track of what i've done and when.

cheers, Obtuse.

I fertilise on the weekend. I water every second day or there abouts for vascular plants, depending on weather. I water my cacti once a week during growing season.

1/2 strength thrive for everything except my cacti on one weekend.

1/2 strength fish emulsion/charley carp on the alternate weekend for everything including cacti.

I also use a handfull of good slow release fertiliser for all plants at the start of spring and start of summer.

Dilute urine solution (piss in a 10L bucket) for all plants except cacti when I remember.

Doing it all on the weekend, and alternately, makes it pretty easy to keep track of 'what you did last weekend'.

Hope this helps.

Cheers...................Bongchitis

Spot on bro, cheers for the post!

Out of interest, how often do you fert the cacti and what with?

During growing season I fertilise fortnightly with 50% reccomended dosage of charly carp or equivalent, the alternate weekend just water. Only water once per month in the dormant period...again dependant on weather.

Then there is the slow release 'general purpose' plant food that I put on at the start of spring and the start of summer....but just a sprinkle on the cacti.

So many options though, this works for me, my potting mix and climate. I have only lost 1 cacti to rot (bunnings purchase rotted 1 week later) and getting OK growth, colour and flowering. I am happy cause its easy but there are better growers out there for sure!

When certain vascular plants are in flower :devil: I just use Bloom booster or equivalent instead of the thrive but keep the same schedule otherwise. I do not alter the regime for cacti at all when flowering.

Good Luck.................Bongchitis

Edited by Bongchitis

During growing season I fertilise fortnightly with 50% reccomended dosage of charly carp or equivalent, the alternate weekend just water. Only water once per month in the dormant period...again dependant on weather.

Then there is the slow release 'general purpose' plant food that I put on at the start of spring and the start of summer....but just a sprinkle on the cacti.

So many options though, this works for me, my potting mix and climate. I have only lost 1 cacti to rot (bunnings purchase rotted 1 week later) and getting OK growth, colour and flowering. I am happy cause its easy but there are better growers out there for sure!

When certain vascular plants are in flower :devil: I just use Bloom booster or equivalent instead of the thrive but keep the same schedule otherwise. I do not alter the regime for cacti at all when flowering.

Good Luck.................Bongchitis

:worship:

Just use slow release ferts if you can't be bothered keeping track... also depends if you don't want to use inorganic ferts I guess.

For my ethnos in the ground I usually add a handful of garden bed osmocotes and a generous helping of blood and bone before topping up on sugar cane mulch at the start of spring and summer.

Generally 3-4 tsps of osmocote for pot plants go into my larger cactii pots about half way through spring, and I use thrive on them fortnightly during summer. I also add osmocote into my potting mixes when repotting.

Over the past fortnight or so I have been thrive-ing my garden bed ethnos heavily...HBWR, P. carthaginensis, Mimosa hostilis and I would be doing the same to a Kratom if it was legal - I don't bother ferting my Catha, Calea and Heimia because they seem to boom no matter what I do. So yeah over 15 days I've been thriving my garden bed plants every 4-5 days but that's because they have gone without ferting for a while and my soil is sandy and thus drains through easily, so I want to make sure there is plenty of nutrients attatched to the colloids during this plant growth booming time of year... After another fert tomorrow these plants will go back to fortnightly until mid autumn\winter and then I won't bother ferting at all after I mulch up for winter.

I don't care what people think about inorganics if you are just using fish emulsion, blood n bone, seasol etc you really aren't conditioning the soil like you would by raking\mixing through manure or compost so you may as well just use a complete inorganic mixed fert which has everything in it that a plant needs and not just high levels of Nitrogen like fish emulsion etc has... guess I've always been partly a chemical child hehe.

Edit: When I had a jar around (before giving to my mate for the 12\12 MJ light change) I tried KNO3, Potassium Nitrate, on my Brugmansia x candida just before flowering with positive results.... the thing went off hehe.

Edited by -=IndigoSunrise=-