Question

Does anyone know what these are?

07.jpg

The red part I mean, not the stock.

21 answers to this question

Does anyone know what these are?

07.jpg

The red part I mean, not the stock.

Wow, looking cool dude.. No idea what they are..

Coloured cultivar of Gymnocalycium mihanovichii. Stock looks to by Hylocereus. No chlorophyl means they must be grafted to survive.

Propagation can be done by removing pups and grafting onto new stock.

Thanks apoth. Reckon you could throw in another ID and tell me what the pink one in that pic is? And one question, do all colored cacti like that have noc hlorophyll? If they need to grafted how long do they usually last as seedlings for? Ok that was really two questions...

Thanks apoth. Reckon you could throw in another ID and tell me what the pink one in that pic is? And one question, do all colored cacti like that have noc hlorophyll? If they need to grafted how long do they usually last as seedlings for? Ok that was really two questions...

No idea on the ID except maybe its the exact same species.

I think all non green cacti don't have chlorophyll. There is another sunlight -> energy mechanism in some plants with red/purple foliage but these cacti don't have it.

They will obviously last only as long as the seed itself has energy stored up to feed the plant. Probably a week or two max from germination.

No idea on the ID except maybe its the exact same species.

I think all non green cacti don't have chlorophyll. There is another sunlight -> energy mechanism in some plants with red/purple foliage but these cacti don't have it.

They will obviously last only as long as the seed itself has energy stored up to feed the plant. Probably a week or two max from germination.

Cheers. I guess that makes sense as I always thought chlorophyll was what gave plants the green color, so no green = no chlorophyll

Yep, lack of chlorophyll (or chlorophyll degradation) will show the underlying carotenoids, which will forming yellows/red pigments (or combinations making orange or browns) and the anthocyanins will reflect purple to blueish hues.

Do they use tissue culture to propogate these? I've always wondered how they produce so many of what should be such a rare cactus.

I read somewhere they irradiate the seeds or something of the sort. So its just normal seeds, they do something to them, then you've got funky looking plants.

Do they use tissue culture to propogate these? I've always wondered how they produce so many of what should be such a rare cactus.

you would think so when u see pix like this :wacko:

http://www.lapshin.org/cultivar/paper-pic/1.jpg

although they do state on this site that they grow alot from seed

check out the colours :drool2:

http://www.lapshin.org/cultivar/N23/album2-e.htm

http://www.lapshin.org/cultivar/N23/album3-e.htm

i thoroughly recommend browsing this site for some awesome pix of coloured,crest,cristate,monstrose cacti :)

http://www.lapshin.org/cultivar/index-e.htm

Buy one prier and you'll see how many pups they throw out. Certainly no lack of propagation material. Just look in the top photo. Most are pupping already.

Buy one prier and you'll see how many pups they throw out. Certainly no lack of propagation material. Just look in the top photo. Most are pupping already.

Any suggestions on where to purchase from? I had never seen anything like them before I found the pic that started this thread.

Any suggestions on where to purchase from? I had never seen anything like them before I found the pic that started this thread.

Try BigW if you're near one :wink:

Yeah man - almost every garden shop/nursery stocks them from time to time. They seem to be much more common than the species I want :( If you have no luck I might be able to track one down for ya ;)

In germany we have heaps of them in cash and carry markets for 3 € per plant. Most of them are getting produced in very large numbers for just a few cents per plant. The variegated ones which have a little bit chlorophyl should be growable in soil too. The ones lacking chlorophyl probably need a grafting stock. I´m not sure if they also can be grown in tissue culture without grafting stock but i doubt it. All plants i´ve ever seen had a grafting stock. I like them though they are not rare. I´ve once bought me some of the red gymnocalycium myself. They´re cute. If i think about it, it´s a perfect spiny valentines present for the mother-in-law. :rolleyes: bye

k, my uncle is working in the nursery section of a new big Bunnings store opening up so I'll get him to keep an eye out for me.