The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
XipeTotec

ID for strange Trichocerus

Question

Hi, thought this was a bridgesii, with its colour and shape. Spines face downwards, not as long as other bridgesii I have seen. Cutting comes from a 30 year old specimen. Any Ideas?

post-2407-1171242906_thumb.jpg

post-2407-1171242946_thumb.jpg

post-2407-1171242980_thumb.jpg

post-2407-1171243019_thumb.jpg

post-2407-1171243054_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

Judging from the tip shot alone I can guarantee it isn't a bridgesii.

Rather some sort of pachanoi/peruvianus/macrogonus complex, maybe a hybrid. Very cool.

Is it just me, or do the areoles look too fluffy to be trich? I was almost thinking Cereus? But I'm probably not the best one to ask... Seems like a nice specien - will be nice to see her grown out over about 5 years...

Nah I have Trichocereus of the complex I mentioned above with similar areoles.

I imagine that the spination will revert to a more juvenile form once it has been planted, so that might be a clue.

I am taking a tentative guess and saying it is the blue Matacuna peruvianus. (i.e. the good one)

Edited by apothecary

As I usually say, i'm pretty hopeless with cacti ID, but to me this looks macrogonoid.

It wasn't the spination so much as the areoles that got me.

Posting these in here and not the "Got these great cutting today" thread because this one has better comparative photos. Just for reference, this is the same specimen, right shroomytoonos?

Here is the pup from a standard T. pachanoi

Here is the mummy column (one on the right)

Obviously these would be bigger and fluffier areoles if my specimen was say, 30 years old?

The areoles are very similar to the ones in this thread:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...showtopic=12562

The first pic - what I believe to be either cuzcoensis or knuthianus. Unfortunately I didnt include a tip photo, but all the new areoles are really fluffy and a nice dark brown like the tip photo above (obviously the spination and whatnot is quite different tho). Perhaps a different type of trich or maybe a hybrid? I think it looks somewhat peruvianoid to me, but I still dont have a lot of experience with the peru's...

It wasn't the spination so much as the areoles that got me.

Posting these in here and not the "Got these great cutting today" thread because this one has better comparative photos. Just for reference, this is the same specimen, right shroomytoonos?

Here is the pup from a standard T. pachanoi

Here is the mummy column (one on the right)

Obviously these would be bigger and fluffier areoles if my specimen was say, 30 years old?

yeah, the other thread was the same cutting (longer before cutting down) I just assumed it was bridgesii and the question of the ID was raised in that thread, so I began this thread to get the ID, as you pointed out, with better photos. First thread was just to show everyone some nice large cuttings.