The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Greeny

Best T.Scopulicolus Mediums

G'day everybody I was interested in and suggestions for a good medium to use for my new T.Scopulicolus cutting that I'll be getting.

I tried doing a searh but the search engine didn't work for me. Any suggestions? Atm Im only planning a cactus mix from bunnings that i've got lying around but if theres something better I'd prefere to use that

G'day everybody I was interested in and suggestions for a good medium to use for my new T.Scopulicolus cutting that I'll be getting.

I tried doing a searh but the search engine didn't work for me. Any suggestions? Atm Im only planning a cactus mix from bunnings that i've got lying around but if theres something better I'd prefere to use that

im no expert, but i have a few scops (as the folks who frequent to id treads will know) I treated my 1st like a san pedro.. with potting mix and fert evry now and then. Seems to be going fine. So, I just treat the rest like that now. In regards to potting mediums, I am leaning away from sands, as I find that they still hold alot of water. Im am now leaning towards good, well draining potting mix. I found one the other day I think called "the australian grower" or something, produce by a brand called "BRUNNINGS" which has great drainage. I am going to do all my planting into this stuff from now on. Cacti mix is to expensive.

Edited by shroomytoonos

shroomytoonos, what sort of sand have you been using in combination with what soil mixes?

I find it interesting that you're starting to use just plain potting mix for cacti. Have you had any problems with it, like stability issues with the cactus (ie, the cactus being prone to moving about in the relatively loose potting mix)?

Greeny,

I use DEBCO CACTI & SUCCULENT MIX straight from the bag for all my cacti and never had a problem. They look healthy, but I think it is a little more water retentive than specific mixes some of the guys here use....I just water less often!

If you are worried about the water, add 10% Coarse Sharp Sand or Pearlite for extra drainage and aeration.

I am sure others will chime in with some tips!

Cheers..............Bongchitis

Yeah I "Have" to use Debco c&s mix cause my local bunnings doesnt get Searles c&s mix anymore, I much prefer searles..

Anyway I always mix C&S mix with Searles Premium potting mix (about half-half) and depending on what im potting up throw in some perlite..

If you're willing to pay then Searles is the way to go like Dodie said.

If you want to make your own based on someone elses then there are HEAPS and HEAPS of threads in this part of the forum where people detail their custom mixes.

Personally I think Trichocereus is pretty happy in most soils (i.e. you don't even need cactus mix, normal premium potting mix usually is fine), even clayish ones and custom mixes are really only required for more sensitive genera like Lophophora :)

Just as a side note, like shroomytoonos said, most Trichocereus have very similar soil requirements so whatever you've been using for one will usually work for the other.

Cheers everyone its good to know I don't have to be too anal with potting the trich as opposed to my loph.

I'll take it all on board and start organising myself for the arival of my new addition.

Thanks again everyone Greeny out

Cheers everyone its good to know I don't have to be too anal with potting the trich as opposed to my loph.

I'll take it all on board and start organising myself for the arival of my new addition.

Thanks again everyone Greeny out

whats good for loph? I have seedlings in cacti mix, is that ok? what should they go into when replanted?