The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Infinitee

Help me help my ethnos so they can help me like you have!

Hey all ethnocentric gardeners out there.

I have been an idiot :BANGHEAD2: and committed the crime of neglecting my plants. My Special plants, no less.

I would appreciate any and all help in rectifying my neglect and helping my specimens to grow big and strong like i'm not. :rolleyes:

Well here goes.

post-1589-1170671512_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of my Salvia coccinea (thanks sab) which is a beloved favourite. Thus why i just transplanted it into a big ol' pot unlike the rest of my root-bound suckers. Neglected for a while before transplant, but has survived. It DID thrive, then die off a bit, but surviving. So i'm wondering ...

Should I prune the top which has died off ... down to where the stem still has some colouring? It has a few healthy shoots from the bottom.

Would this plant take a bit of fertilisation ... any suggestions (organic!) ... would regular or half dose seasol be good for my sally?

post-1589-1170671747_thumb.jpg

This is my heimia salicifolia (thanks again sab). Funny story, there were two plants in this pot looking similar. I mistaked this one for a weed and the other died off. So i was under the impression that i'd lost my heimia, after checking out some pics from erowid, it would seem i'm mistaken ...

This IS heimia, right? hehe

Should i transplant it into a bigger pot, how big can I grow one in a pot on a very heated bit of concrete?

Again, ferts? Pruning? Cut the root-ball?

Warning, all loving psychotria-philes ... turn away now!

post-1589-1170671972_thumb.jpg

This is an abomination, i'm sorry sab even has to see this (psychotria viridis btw). This plant just can NOT stand the heat on that concrete verandah. It's been there aeons and is as sick as Bush's butthole (which is currently occupied by howard, funnily enough). The leaves are so dry they are crispish. The stem and some leaves still seem to have a bit of life in them, so ...

Is this plant revivable? I was considering moving it into a larger pot with new soil or the ground in a more shaded area. Is this worth trying, any survival tips?

I would really love to have a healthy psychotria
:wink:
any suggestions for preffered fertiliser profile or product?

post-1589-1170672505_thumb.jpg

Not sure if this is really ethno, but thought i'd add it in anyways. My chives plant had long ago receded and part-died (neglected) which i saved and transplanted to a new pot and medium. It cranked for a bit after the transplant had recovered, but now it is all falling over, droopy like snoopy on a bad day. Well ...

Any tips to get my savoury-sweetening buddy standing back the right way up?

Two roots have just showed themselves outta the bottom of the pot, should i transplant or wait for a bit more root-boundedness?

Again, any ferts or tips for maximising this guys growth on a hot, unshaded verandah in a pot?

Lastly, my chilli's haven't popped and i planted the seeds a fair couple of weeks back. Should i give up on them. Is it too late into the season in NNSW?

Sorry for all my noobish questions, i love plants, but am only learning to garden. All the one thing, but advice is always appreciated.

Thank you for all your inevitable helpfulness which shall ensue.

:worship::wub::worship:

Oh and thanks SAB for getting me to grow something other than mar-y, mary, mary is that you?!

excuse me, mary is here. B)

Oooohhhhhh :( ,

....but nothing a bit of water and seasol solution wont fixin a couple of weeks methinks coupled with some dappled light..... and a bit of humidity for the viridis also.

And your chives look alot like challots/spring onion!

Cheers................Bongchitis

Yep that's a Heimia :)

You'd be hard pressed to kill them, they are resistant as all hell.

Charlie Carp!!!

That shit will save the world. Use it in recommended doses everytime you water for two or three weeks then cut it back to every second or third watering.

You will be amazed!

Yeah and like Bonchitis said probably water a little more often, and rig up some shade cloth or hessian if you can. Maybe try sugar cane mulch or coir peat to retain water.

This IS heimia, right? hehe

Should i transplant it into a bigger pot, how big can I grow one in a pot on a very heated bit of concrete?

Again, ferts? Pruning? Cut the root-ball?

As apo said- Yup, Heimia. Tough little fuckers. More root space should make it bigger and some grow fertilizer might help. Not sure about growing on hot concrete, maby put a bit of wood under the pot if its that hot.

For the chilies some varieties take longer than others to sprout. Heck tepin and pequin strains can take 6-8 weeks. Most domesticated varieties, however, should show sprouts in 2 weeks or less.

...and yup, chives is an ethnobotanical.