The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

Cacti in full sun.....O.K.?

O.K. Cacti were growing a bit skinny in my G/house so I decided to move them into full sun. Eileen, TBM's, pedro's, etc. Now, sum seem to be goin a little variagated almost with areas of yellower skin, or like sum have just turned a lighter tone of green going on yellow. They are all still growing well and pupping like mad. Very turgid also, just wanna make sure it's not bad for them to be in direct midday sun.

Edited by naja naja

i find its best to move them slowly into full sun increasing their exposure over a period of a few weeks. This gives them time to adapt to the change and avoids them getting burnt or discolouring. If you have them in shade i wouldn't put them into full sun strait away. Give them time to adjust to more sun.

O.K. Cacti were growing a bit skinny in my G/house so I decided to move them into full sun. Eileen, TBM's, pedro's, etc. Now, sum seem to be goin a little variagated almost with areas of yellower skin, or like sum have just turned a lighter tone of green going on yellow. They are all still growing well and pupping like mad. Very turgid also, just wanna make sure it's not bad for them to be in direct midday sun.

Yeah Prophet has hit it on the head. Cacti will grow happily in full son (Most climates). Yours are probly getting sun burnt because they are not acclimatised to the new environment. I find they will grow faster in a part shade area and mine seem more happy, full sun stresses them a bit too much. Check the soil PH "yellowing" can mean the soil PH is too low, garden line can remedy this.

I too get that verigated look after a really bright /hot day as my collection is in full sun for 1/2 day. Typically gone in a day or two unless I get another hot one or it is badly scorched. I have a Cereus Peruvianus monstorse that refuses to root and I have burned him several times and he is scared :slap:

What Prophet said!

I had a bit of a scare recently, doing pretty much exactly what you described naja naja. Just chuck em back in the shade and they'll recover, then slowly get them used to the sun.

Its not fun to put healthy, green cuttings out one day, then come back the next and find them all yellow and sickly looking! :wacko:

They not sick looking or even burnt, just loss a heap of green over the Aussie day heat wave. We had 2 days of 40+ and they are still fine. Rats and me shooting them with ratshot does more damage :P

I acclimatized them as good as possible. They were in full sun before, just under shad cloth. If they yellow any more I may move them back, but if it's just an adjustment period, i can live with that.

I find having my cacti in full sun (in SA) the dry harsh sun screws them up by dehydrating the hell out of the ribs, even if they are moved to full sun over a progressive period of time. I guess different states in Oz have different temps and variants of UV and humidity/dryness which I believe changes whether the sun has a harsh effect or a positive growing effect on cacti. For mine down here, I can't really grow them safely in summer without some shadecloth over the top. Not only for Trichs but also with Astrophytum Myriostigmas I've found they commonly develope harsh big red blisters from too much sun when they're reasonably young, whilst my Astrophytum Asterias can handle a little more but seem to shrink a bit in size which is not cool!!!

Edited by SaBReT00tH

Trichocereus species are not really desert cactus, I don't like putting mine in full or even half a day of sun.

They can definitely handle it, but just because they can doesn't mean you should!

Once they are in the ground I think it matters much less about the sun exposure.

O.K. they're goin back in greenhouse today.

Thanks every1

Naja

I've got about 30 SPs growing in full sun in about the harshest conditions outside of the outback. They get no water, and no shade and nothing stops the wind... and they are sitting in heavy clay.

I think they would like shade :innocent_n:

But they're not dead and I have no choice...

They even survived weeds, whippersnippers (yes, my mum cut a few while dealing with weeds), total lack of care for 8 months and laying down on their side without roots through the heat of summer...

After a downpour ten days ago most of the them pupped. About half of em even flowered!, with no roots, lying half planted in the ground

These guys are tough as old boots.

Especially with me as their guardian, I did about everything I could wrong then left the country...

But my point is, I took them from a large shade-grown plant and put them in full sun... they turned a lighter green but never went yellow... they do have some scarring and dead patches where they were lying on the ground, and the ribs are very dehydrated, but they're recovering well now I'm back to care for them (I'm excited!)

And I think they're about to thrive, If I give them some water...

But they are all in the ground. Pots would be a different story.

Oh man, sorry, I just fely like rambling about cactus.

Peace, and good luck...

Micro

Any cuts from me, Naja, will have been outside all their lives so, once rooted, I'd recommend easing them back into full sun (then plant in the ground).

It's easy to be too gentle to cactii, I just stick them in the ground these days (root cuttings in pots and gradually increase sun-exposure over maybe three months). Admittedly we don't get your high temps here, but do get high rainfall.

ed

Yeah I find during real hot spells that my Eileen's do tend to get abit lighter in colour as they are in full sun but they always return to that bluey green colour during winter!

Eileen also really loves a good drink every 2nd day here in the west during the heat :)

All mine are in pots also!

most of mine are in up to 50 % shade and seem to like it.

It's very hard to find any full sun in my garden since it's so overgrown.

Many of mine are lately getting a lovely blueish colour, even if they've been mostly green when I first planted them.

Love it when they go blue.

most of mine are in up to 50 % shade and seem to like it.

It's very hard to find any full sun in my garden since it's so overgrown.

Many of mine are lately getting a lovely blueish colour, even if they've been mostly green when I first planted them.

Love it when they go blue.

Mine too. The growth rate seems to be very good as well, I water 2-3 times a week with thrive & sometimes seasol. From a 40cm section (fat mother stock) 2 years ago, the main column is now 4ft tall and the second arm is 3ft tall and all a lovely healthy deep green/bluish colour.