The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
obtuse

bushwalking pics

Hi everyone,

I noticed these on bushwalk last year in July, and thought they looked so lovely that i had to take pics.

They were growing in a pile of a mixture of what looked like old rotting eucalyptus, wattle, and tea tree branches and stuff.

post-2028-1169968188_thumb.jpg

post-2028-1169968281_thumb.jpg

post-2028-1169968333_thumb.jpg

post-2028-1169968377_thumb.jpg

post-2028-1169968432_thumb.jpg

Anyway, thought maybe some people would find these interesting, as they have very pronounced "nipples" and they have a lovely light brown colour, and almost look like they are made of plastic.

I am fairly certian they are a subaeruginosa, but those more in the know might be able to tell me otherwise.

They are just lovely, and i couldn't help sharing them with you all.

cheers, Obtuse

Loverly subs there mate. Hope u remember where that spot was :wink:

nice work - looks like a nice place to walk as well.

i thought tassy was pretty barren of actives... nice pics hey

Cheers.

We get heaps here mate. Come winter their all over the place. as long as no-one else finds your patch lol.

Edited by obtuse

I went bushwalking today near the spot where i found these beautiful mushrooms, and the surrounding bush (maybe 40, 50 acres) has been knocked down, and flattened. It was private land, and i have this dread fear they are going to develop it because the views are stunning. I am so pissed off because it was beautiful forest, and i loved walking there.

the mushroom spot itself is on another property, but is now an island so to speak.

I want try and help conserve the mycological diversity in this spot, but i know the local young lads also visit the same spot and trample it to crap.

What am i to do? I am concerned that they may be pushed (trampled) out of the area because of abuse and also because there is now a huge area of empty land beween it and the rest of the local wilderness, and the local animals are gonna be wanting something to eat.

I have seen the same thing happen in other areas, where the mycological diversity has been ruined, and only now starting to come back after 10-15 years.

It pisses me off how humans push our forests back ruining biodiversity as they do it.

cheers, Obtuse

Edited by obtuse

Just curious, was there any sign of animals having previously grazed on the land, or any animal dung?

Edit: I'm moving into a new place located on a few acres worth of bush, just like in your pics, obtuse B)

Edited by mu.

fence it up, post a sign claiming it in the name of all that is good and decent and get community support. :ana:

i reckon fungi will be going that way naturally anyway down here with greatly decreased rain fall.

yeah and if it is habitat of native species it should have been looked into before developement (however poorly) but if an issue is there it can be reignited from community support. ask the council.

x peace

The block of land where the forest is still standing is private land, and part of a farm. Cattle are rotated between the paddocks, and this section of forest is part of one of those paddocks. so Mu, there are lots of signs of animal grazing, and animal dung, but it doesn't seem to have affected the mycology greatly, if anything encouraged it. Humans are more of a problem.

The forest that had been cut down had had no animals grazing on it, but there were lush patches of grass all through it. perfect for mushroom growth - and loads of obvious trampling by the middle of winter.

And as far as community support is concerned the local community wouldn't really be bothered.

Really I was just venting my annoyance at what is the destruction (and the inevitable destruction of what is left) of one of the better mushroom habitats i have found in a long time.

I'm sure it is happening every where, and if your into mycology it will mean you will have to travel further and further afield.

cheers, Obtuse

it sucks aye. not only are the habitats shrinking but with most areas of the planet drying up over the next few decades things aren't looking up for our little friends. looks like cultivation will become way more important in the future.

oh, and i was thinking along the lines of bear traps until you mentioned the cattle :wink:

Hi,

Just a question. where the pics taken in the north or south of the state.

regards

zam

The good thing about a lot of the Psilocybe is that they thrive in disturbed environments and a lot of the time will be found near human activity. Unless they've leveled it with concrete or something they should still be present and quite abundant, especially if the people woodchip revegetation patches or garden beds. But yeah it'll never be the same, plus loss of more sensitive species of flora, fauna, fungi etc.

It sucks but apparently clearing forests is in the interest of the people :rolleyes: Around my parts we've lost lots of little areas of recent to bullshit clearing, people buy out bush blocks, level it and put in a tennis court and swimming pool 'oh but we love being out here with all the trees' :BANGHEAD2:

The good thing about a lot of the Psilocybe is that they thrive in disturbed environments and a lot of the time will be found near human activity. Unless they've leveled it with concrete or something they should still be present and quite abundant, especially if the people woodchip revegetation patches or garden beds. But yeah it'll never be the same, plus loss of more sensitive species of flora, fauna, fungi etc.

It sucks but apparently clearing forests is in the interest of the people :rolleyes: Around my parts we've lost lots of little areas of recent to bullshit clearing, people buy out bush blocks, level it and put in a tennis court and swimming pool 'oh but we love being out here with all the trees' :BANGHEAD2:

the psilocybe pictured... I am to believe, are not really woodchip lovers, In fact I have only seen them in in the forest. and grass around forest, I have however seen them in regen forest.

Edited by shroomytoonos

Care to elaborate? Source of info?

In the forest? Growing off what?

Saprophytic species generally munching lignin and cellulose, grass, paper, leaf litter, twigs, chips, sawdust, logs, soil rich in decomposed matter of such nature etc.

the psilocybe pictured... I am to believe, are not really woodchip lovers, In fact I have only seen them in in the forest. and grass around forest, I have however seen them in regen forest.

I gather you mean that they arent found growing directly off woodchips? You will probably find that it is a fairly general term used to say that they grow off wood and other similar matter, as opposed to dung lovers, which obviously grow off very different substrates. You will find that they have the ability to grow out of fairly mixed substrates, provided that their preferred is still readily available. E.g. you will commonly find woodlovers on the outskirts of a grassy field, provided that there is plenty of woody material in the surrounding soil. And vice versa :)

But yes, the above pictured specimen is a woodlover - not neccessarily a woodCHIP lover :wink:

Care to elaborate? Source of info?

In the forest? Growing off what?

Saprophytic species generally munching lignin and cellulose, grass, paper, leaf litter, twigs, chips, sawdust, logs, soil rich in decomposed matter of such nature etc.

my source of info is me!Im just saying that I have never seen this particular species come up in anyone's garden mulch. Sorry that I didn't communicate that very well

Edited by shroomytoonos

would love to know what part of the state they were seen in.

regards

zamuel

Zamuel,

Hi, these were found south of Hobart.

cheers, Obtuse

my source of info is me!Im just saying that I have never seen this particular species come up in anyone's garden mulch. Sorry that I didn't communicate that very well

Haha - yeah I'm yet to find any growing off my garden woodchips - you'll find that its most likely because the patch hasnt got any mycelium - hence, no shrooms :P

Haha - yeah I'm yet to find any growing off my garden woodchips - you'll find that its most likely because the patch hasnt got any mycelium - hence, no shrooms :P

The basis of my comment, was that I am led to believe that some psilocybe species will commonly pop up in newly mulched garden beds(psychedelic shamanism,dekorne), I was just pointing out that I don't think this is the case for this species... it was really just an off the cuff remark, and I wasn't expecting such a discussion on it.

The basis of my comment, was that I am led to believe that some psilocybe species will commonly pop up in newly mulched garden beds(psychedelic shamanism,dekorne), I was just pointing out that I don't think this is the case for this species...

In the correct location, this is definitely the case for this species.

I've seen these ones growing after I mulched large areas of a garden [very disturbed site over a long period of time, native veg>pine forest>dairy>regen, over about an 80-100 year period] in the blue mountains, and I saw them growing in abundance, some of the areas also had the application of cow manure, but it was mainly the areas that received NO manure treatment that they grew very abundantly. I've always known these species to be woodlovers.