The Corroboree
XipeTotec

khat, pictures and advice

would like to see pics of peoples khat plants, experiences in growing broad and narrow leaf. Advice for care and promoting growth specicfic to braod and norrow leaf. Propagation, Anything khat related.

UTSE?

planthelper (ands lots of other members) especially has an absolute mass of good info on growing khat. He is the khatman!

As for photos, you know we have a gallery available for members right? (yes, there are plenty of khat photos in there. Try searching both the binomial and common names.

UTSE?

planthelper (ands lots of other members) especially has an absolute mass of good info on growing khat. He is the khatman!

As for photos, you know we have a gallery available for members right? (yes, there are plenty of khat photos in there. Try searching both the binomial and common names.

what is UTSE? as far as people having information that may be helpful, that is why I started this topic, I certainly hope planthelper contributes . Yes, I know there is a gallery, This just gives a chance for members to discuss their current experiences, show of their plants, and share their knowledge.

Edited by shroomytoonos

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any information on how to accquire a khat plant as I understand that it is not illegal in the same sense such as growing cannabis or ethroxyum spp...

I know there is a bad boy in a certain garden in melbourne which has been their for some time but it would be wrong to harrass this plant for my own personal endeavours.

If i am incorrect and it is illegal please forgive my misinformation and let me know.

thanks

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any information on how to accquire a khat plant as I understand that it is not illegal in the same sense such as growing cannabis or ethroxyum spp...

I know there is a bad boy in a certain garden in melbourne which has been their for some time but it would be wrong to harrass this plant for my own personal endeavours.

If i am incorrect and it is illegal please forgive my misinformation and let me know.

thanks

I would harrass the plant for my own endevours if I were you. The best way, is the suckers they send out of the bottom, pull a couple out, and you will find some nice roots, pot, care for and bobs your uncle.

shroomy, please don't incite members to illegal acts.

Stealing from the botanical gardens can end with you in handcuffs.

As for sourcing the khat plant MM, no need to do something illegal for something you correctly stated is entirely legal (at least in your state).

You can try PMing a few members like planthelper or gomaos, or even visiting urbantribes.com.au usually they all can send you nice khat plants of many different varieties.

shroomy, please don't incite members to illegal acts.

Stealing from the botanical gardens can end with you in handcuffs.

As for sourcing the khat plant MM, no need to do something illegal for something you correctly stated is entirely legal (at least in your state).

You can try PMing a few members like planthelper or gomaos, or even visiting urbantribes.com.au usually they all can send you nice khat plants of many different varieties.

well, u really have been on my arse the last few days apothecary. Technically (and I don;t like to be technical, cause I was merely contributing to the forum) I wasn't actually inciting anything. I also didn't realise you were the mod of all the forums. I'm sure I will cop some sort of backlash for this, but, you know, you seem to have taken a disliking towards me for some unknown reason.

Edited by shroomytoonos

I promise I'm not chasing you around. I don't dislike you, actually kind of found the tone of your posting rather intriguing (was waiting for the initiatory inebriated rant, if you must know :P).

When you tell a member to go and rip suckers from the MBG khat plant then yeah, that's kind of inciting something illegal :P

I promise I'm not chasing you around. I don't dislike you, actually kind of found the tone of your posting rather intriguing (was waiting for the initiatory inebriated rant, if you must know :P).

When you tell a member to go and rip suckers from the MBG khat plant then yeah, that's kind of inciting something illegal :P

well, thanks for your pleasant reply apothecary, it is much appreciated...I could still technically proclaim my innocence, but I won't, as it's no biggie, unlike inciting riots or similar.

shroomy, you were suggesting a new member should steal from the botanic gardens, rather than offering him more sensible options. not cool, not cool.

I am sure apothecary only expressed what many of us were thinking about such a suggestion. and no, you don't need to be a mod to remind people of decent ethics.

apoth - don't bite.

shroomy, you were suggesting a new member should steal from the botanic gardens, rather than offering him more sensible options. not cool, not cool.

I am sure apothecary only expressed what many of us were thinking about such a suggestion. and no, you don't need to be a mod to remind people of decent ethics.

apoth - don't bite.

My mum says I'm cool

I have been also informed today that botanical gardens are considered to be "public gardens, I am told that within such a definition, although it may be requested that you don't take plant material, it is not actually illegal to do so.

Edited by shroomytoonos

If everyone followed your "advice" shroomytoons that poor ol khat plant wouldnt be around for very long. Theres no need to tax some plant in the BG when like others have pointed out u can get plenty from elsewhere.. and ethically.

I have been also informed today that botanical gardens are considered to be "public gardens, I am told that within such a definition, although it may be requested that you don't take plant material, it is not actually illegal to do so.

what a load of toss. Does this mean we can help ourselves to painting at the public galleries, furniture at parliament house, or the benches at the local park? geez, you spout some shit sometimes :BANGHEAD2:

what a load of toss. Does this mean we can help ourselves to painting at the public galleries, furniture at parliament house, or the benches at the local park? geez, you spout some shit sometimes :BANGHEAD2:

so do you, but you are forgiven. I was just relaying what I was told. Can you show otherwise? If so, let me stand corrected.

If everyone followed your "advice" shroomytoons that poor ol khat plant wouldnt be around for very long. Theres no need to tax some plant in the BG when like others have pointed out u can get plenty from elsewhere.. and ethically.

yes, everybody, I am scum.

Edited by shroomytoonos

yes, everybody, I am scum.

Shroomy i can relate to you about what u said about botanical gardens. I myself think if they would offer to sell more of the plants they grow there then we wouldnt have to go in and help ourselves to cuttings.

Some botanical gardens sell some plants but even at this one botanical garden i visited in northern Florida, they only sold some of them.

They sold Piper auritum which is kind of cool. I mean but sometimes I think they should make cuttings/ seeds more available to us.

It isnt good to steal but I think Botanical gardens should sell seeds and cuttings to people who want them.

I know Fairchild has some Tabernaemontana orientalis plants and I would like to go there to get seeds but I guess id have to steal them since botanical gardens are like what shroomy mentioned.

Sure us plant people like seeing plants, we also would like to go there and get a source for some plants/seeds.

I think Botanical gardens need to change that. Im not going to a Botanical garden to get some Catharanthus roseus seeds which of course i can get in the summer time at a local nursery( falltime for southern USA gardeners)

Id go to these places to see plants which arnt as common.

then we wouldnt have to go in and help ourselves to cuttings.

what a tosser (ahahahaha i've never typed that before in my life but it makes me feel like the fairest of the dinkum). nobody HAS to go in and help themselves to anything. :rolleyes:

How about finding out who is in charge so to speak and ask if you can have a cutting. Offering something in return would probably go in your favour to sweeten the pot. If no harm was caused to the plant in the process I don't see why they would say no. Unless they have a specific policy against such things.

Worth a try at least :)

most botanic gardens operate under the rio convention. this means that all plants can be trade between public gardens without protection against commercial interests.

eg. Florida BG wants a plant from Brazil. Before the Rio Convention Brazil had to decide whether to take the risk of supplying the plant and then losing any intellectual property over it, such as for traditional cures. So, many times Brazil woudl decline the request. Under the Rio Convention Brazil can donate the plant to Florida. Florida BG now however also has to honour that limitation and must prevent the plant from falling into the hands of commercial operators. ie, Florida will only donate to gardens that also observe the rio convention.

Single individuals can't be party to the convention, so they are generally excluded from the free inter-garden trade. Some gardens keep records of which plants are commercial plants, unrestricted plants, or restricted plants, but most simply don't. For those that don't, the only option is to prohibit all private trading. "FRiends of the gardens' often get to propagate and sell the unrestricted plants and I feel this should be extended to other groups.