The Corroboree
XipeTotec

Pereskiopsis grafting, how young??Technique?Availablility?

How young a seedling can you graft onto a Pereskiopsis? what is the technique? Is Pereskiopsis commonly available at nurseries/garden centres, or would it have to be mail ordered? thanks in advance for your help, shroomy

There's a wealth of information on this you can find using the search engine. I recall some nook grafters would graft seedlings after a week or two, it depends on how dexterous you are with your hands. I have successfully grafted two week old seedlings, but the younger/smaller they are the more fiddly it gets. I don't see pereskiopsis for sale at nurseries, best to order from SAB, herbalistics etc.

Edited by cough

I grafted mine after 1 month and did OK. Kept slipping out of place trying to put pressure on so I came up with this. The pereskiopsis keeps pupping though and it is pissing me off.post-962-1169764036_thumb.jpg

post-962-1169764036_thumb.jpg

post-962-1169764036_thumb.jpg

I grafted mine after 1 month and did OK. Kept slipping out of place trying to put pressure on so I came up with this. The pereskiopsis keeps pupping though and it is pissing me off.post-962-1169764036_thumb.jpg

Lol bong, good ingenious idea mate :)

Its not as hard as people make out. Take loph and cut in half and cut peres at a point so that the width of the peres is the same width as the loph (I actually cut the peres first) then pick up the loph in your fingers and place it ontop and press down a bit to expell any air. Leave in a humid place for a week then its good to go. You can place zip seal bags over the graft for humidity. Oh and dont use a scalpel use a razor blade like on your shaving razor, just get a new one and get the blade off.

Its not as hard as people make out. Take loph and cut in half and cut peres at a point so that the width of the peres is the same width as the loph (I actually cut the peres first) then pick up the loph in your fingers and place it ontop and press down a bit to expell any air. Leave in a humid place for a week then its good to go. You can place zip seal bags over the graft for humidity. Oh and dont use a scalpel use a razor blade like on your shaving razor, just get a new one and get the blade off.

eh?? What's wrong with a scalpel teo??

Nice to see you around teo :) :)

The razor blades are sharper, I found it easier to squash small seedlings with scalpels. But if it works for you then go with it :)

I pulled a razor apart for just this exact reason when I was grafting my large loph to trich, but found that the blade was so thin that it wasnt rigid enough to make a flat cut. I was using a schikk or something similar - was it just the razor I was trying, or are they all really thin and flaccid? Should I look for an old fashioned razor that is much more stiff and strong? Thoughts?

Cheers

Ace

Or you can get yourself a grafting knife and wet stone..

post-710-1170394906_thumb.jpg

Razors are better if you have limited time or are impatient. The grafting knife just feels right..

How tall are the peres? How old are the lophs? do you off set or have toruble lining up the vascular rings?

Cheers mate

ill show you how man but i wont be grafting my comp lophs for at least another 2 weeks cos I dont have enough.

My stocks are 30cm+, any age can be done just cut the peres so that the loph and peres are about the same circumfrence, then just place on top so they fit together, this seems to work well for me :)

do u ensure the rootstock's (peres) media is dry??? ive heard this can be vital to the scions success at adhering.

i am seriously shite at this, and i dread to think how many loph babys i have destroyed over the years.

I imagine a cut throat razor would be quite effective and easy to sharpen?

Hmm, I think Ill give it a shot.,. Ive always a had a thinig for them but have never been game to shave with one, LOL..

Do a seach for 'Nans pickle tek" from the nook, its got all the secrets ;)

Yes, Jono, Ive read you should make sure the media is dry and it hasnt been watered it a while...

Edited by AndyAmine.

I tried the whole dont water thing but I dont think it makes a difference.