The Corroboree
obtuse

Tasmanian Psilocybe species

Hi everyone,

I've been wondering this for ages, so i'm going to put this out there as I'm sure there are heaps of other tasmanians who have had similar thoughts.

I'd like to try to put together a list of psilocybe species in Tasmania. I've looked through a fair few other posts that mention tasmania, but there is nothing conclusive about what is and what isn't around.

I've also done google searches to see what i can find, and again nothing conclusive, althought the pdf at http://www.forestrytas.com.au/forestrytas/...s_16_11_web.pdf is fairly good.

I would also like to list the liklihood of particular species per region (i.e Huon, Hobart, etc. - lets not mention specific places), so we can get an idea of geographic diversity.

my searches online so far have found these species to be known in Tas:

Psilocybe subaeruginosa - my understanding it that it is fairly common species, but im probably wrong

Psilocybe sp., ‘bruni-islander’ (via http://www.tasfieldnats.org.au/bulletins/bull315.htm) - what is its real name

Psilocybe Cubensis ??? - I'm very uncertain that these grow in southern Tas

Psilocybe Australiana

Psilocybe Tasmaniana

Psilocybe alutacea (via http://www.forestrytas.com.au/forestrytas/..._16_11_web.pdf)

Psilocybe eucalypta

Psilocybe semilanceata

Psilocybe brunneoalbescens (via http://www.forestrytas.com.au/forestrytas/..._16_11_web.pdf)

does anyone know for sure what the one with the dark brown cap is?

if i have missed some, or if one of these does not belong, please post a reply.

I am hoping this starts an interesting discussion, so here goes.

cheers, Obtuse.

• Like 1

Hi Again,

I was over at shroomery.org and found this list:

this is copied from http://www.shroomery.org/9130/Australia so thanks to the people at shroomery who put this list together, and other interesting information as well.

Psychoactive Mushrooms of Australia

Australian Capital Territory

Gymnopilus junonius

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

New South Wales

Gymnopilus junonius

Panaeolus cyanescens

Panaeolus subbalteatus

Psilocybe cubensis

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Psilocybe tasmaniana

Northern Territory

Panaeolus cyanescens

Queensland

Gymnopilus junonius

Panaeolus cyanescens

Psilocybe cubensis

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

South Australia

Gymnopilus junonius

Gymnopilus purpuratus

Panaeolus fimicola

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Tasmania

Psilocybe alutacea

Psilocybe semilanceata

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Psilocybe tasmaniana

Victoria

Gymnopilus junonius

Gymnopilus purpuratus

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Western Australia

Gymnopilus junonius

Gymnopilus purpuratus

Panaeolus fimicola

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Of course it describes other shrooms outside the psilocye species, and looks to me like it misses quite a few considering my recent internet searches.

Any tasmanians agree with the selection for tasmania, i am very dubious about Psilocybe semilanceata being in tas, maybe up north, but not down south.

Also, here is another interesting question, are there in fact members of the Psilocybe species that are not psychoactive i.e. do not contain psilocybin.

I'd love to hear peoples opinions on the list.

Cheers, Obtuse.

Edited by obtuse
  • Like 1

The Central Highlands would be my bet for semilanceata in Tassie. Lived in SW Tassie for a few years and had access to several shacks in the highlands, though never looked for (or remember seeing) fungii. I was usually there in winter, so probably the reason , but definitely suitable habitat/climate in the warmer months.

Tasmaniana were a cube var. as far as I knew and not actually from Tassie.

If the above list was put together at the Shroomery, Bluemeanie, the mod of this forum would have been part of it. I'd imagine he'll answer our questions presently.

ed

The Central Highlands would be my bet for semilanceata in Tassie. Lived in SW Tassie for a few years and had access to several shacks in the highlands, though never looked for (or remember seeing) fungii. I was usually there in winter, so probably the reason , but definitely suitable habitat/climate in the warmer months.

Tasmaniana were a cube var. as far as I knew and not actually from Tassie.

If the above list was put together at the Shroomery, Bluemeanie, the mod of this forum would have been part of it. I'd imagine he'll answer our questions presently.

ed

I heard colac girls are sluts reshroomed, is this true?

Hi Again,

I was over at shroomery.org and found this list:

this is copied from http://www.shroomery.org/9130/Australia so thanks to the people at shroomery who put this list together, and other interesting information as well.

Of course it describes other shrooms outside the psilocye species, and looks to me like it misses quite a few considering my recent internet searches.

Any tasmanians agree with the selection for tasmania, i am very dubious about Psilocybe semilanceata being in tas, maybe up north, but not down south.

Also, here is another interesting question, are there in fact members of the Psilocybe species that are not psychoactive i.e. do not contain psilocybin.

I'd love to hear peoples opinions on the list.

Cheers, Obtuse.

i see WA has a few gyms, are these the ones I saw them collecting in pine forests on TV?

i was interested in this, as where I am from, they are found in eucalypts

yeah ive heard that about colac chicks as well ;)

That list is pretty comprehensive. Quiet well done.

Your main species in tassie are subaeruginosa variants - and tehy are pretty much everywhere that humans are.

Semilanceata are also reasonaby common in the central highlands - i know a few people that have found them there so they are definately there.

Ps.aluteaca (so?) is a new comer - it was found outside the walk at Mt Field national park - looks similar to semilanceata but is not cross compatible and grows in wallaby dung.

Down south there are a few weird species ive heard people talk about - one is a white bulb thing that stains blue - could be similar to that odd thing they find in NZ. Potently active as well.

Ps.australiana is a misnomer. Ps.tasmaniana as far as i am aware is a distinct species but ive never had the luck of collecting it.

I get the feeling gym junio. may not be active - it doesnt look or smell active to me. There are about 5 gym species in australia that stain blue and are active.

Ps.strictipes has been reported in isolated locations in Victoria and South Australia - could also be around in Tassie where the conditions would be ideal.

Id expect Panaeolus subbalt to be there as well.

Cubensis doesnt grow in tassie but it has been reported in Victoria.

In Victoria we have also had collections of Ps.aucklandii and at least three blue staining psilocybes that are a new species - Phlebs dunglover and the one Bruce Fuhrer has been finding near the Grampians. So id guess that Tas would have many.

brunneoalbescens is an inactive species.

Thanks Blue Meanie, your a champ.

Taking all your info and putting it in a list we have:

Psilocybe Subaeruginosa - Pretty well everywhere - Tassies main species

Psilocybe Semilanceata - central highlands

Psilocybe Alutacea - Mt Field national park

And then we also have the following:

Psilocybe Tasmaniana - appears to be very rare

Psilocybe Brunneoalbescens - inactive (anybody have any ideas on where it may be found?)

And there may also be:

Psilocybe Strictipes (which an internet search reveals is a variation on Semilanceata - thus its other name is Psilocybe Semilanceata var. caerulescens - this info via http://www.biolib.cz/en/taxon/id126542)

Thanks Bluemeanie for confiming my thoughts on Psilocybe Subaeruginosa. I think that answers a lot of questions for a lot of us here in Tasmania.

While i have never heard of the "white bulb thing" (i will have to do further reading on this) there is the Psilocybe (???) with the Brown cap and particularly twisty stem which is still a mystery.

Bluemeanie, any ideas on the "brown cap" variety? Or does anybody else have any info?

Anyway,

Cheers, Obtuse.

Edited by obtuse

Might be Ps.aucklandii - its its found in Victoria its likely that its also found in Tassie. Id need a specimen to look at under a scpe to be sure

Oh and add Pan Subbalt to your list as well.

Ok,

With thanks to Bluemeanie we have a fairly good list of whats psilocybe species are found in Tasmania. I have had many discussions over the years about what species we have in Tas, and for me this finally clarifies what species are indeed present.

I remember there being a really good book (it was part of a series) at Tas uni that went into a lot of detail about the psilocybe species in general (i can't remember what it was called - we're talking 15 years ago) and agonising over what we had here, the photos being in black and white didn't help either. I don't think i ever came to any conclusion.

Anyway i know there are lots of others out there who will appreciate this information being available.

So what we've got:

Psilocybe Subaeruginosa - Pretty well everywhere - Tassies main species

Psilocybe Semilanceata - central highlands

Psilocybe Alutacea - Mt Field national park

And then we also have the following:

Psilocybe Tasmaniana - appears to be very rare

Psilocybe Brunneoalbescens - (anybody have any ideas on where it may be found?)

And there may also be:

Psilocybe Strictipes (which an internet search reveals is a variation on Semilanceata - thus its other name is Psilocybe Semilanceata var. caerulescens - this info via http://www.biolib.cz/en/taxon/id126542)

Psilocybe Aucklandii

And of interest: Panaeolus subbalteatus - (While my interest was specifically Psilocybe species thanks for pointing this out Bluemeanie.)

While doing my various I found mention of quite a few misnomers, with loads of sites additionally reporting the following in Tas:

Psilocybe Cubensis

Psilocybe Australiana

Psilocybe eucalypta

With the exception of Psilocybe sp., ‘bruni-islander’ (via http://www.tasfieldnats.org.au/bulletins/bull315.htm - what is its real name? Is just a subaeruginosa particular to Bruny Island?) we can pretty well rule these out. Any objections?

As a point of interest Erowid has a great page:

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online...oms_aunz6.shtml

with heaps of really interesting info.

they report the following being in Tas:

Psilocybe australiana (no)

Psilocybe cubensis (no)

Psilocybe semilanceata (yes)

Psilocybe subaeruginosa (yes)

Psilocybe tasmaniana (yes)

And of interest: Copelandia cyanescens - perhaps someone can tell us more.

(http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online...mushrooms_aunz/)

Some of Erowids info generally is really good, tho some to be taken with a grain of salt, and this article is particularly interesting as its about OZ and NZ. Remember I am only concentrating on Tas and have no idea on the accuracy of the info for the rest of Australia at this point.

With winter well on its way here in Tas looks like it might be a good year for mushroom growth.

Thanks again Bluemeanie for your assistance, thanks also to reshroomED.

cheers, Obtuse.

• Like 1

I doubt panaelous cyanescens occurs in tasmania.

Thanks bluemeanie,

info on Panaeolus cyanescens appreciated.

cheers, Obtuse.

Thanks for making such an amazing list of information for us all!

reading this thread has got me inspired for this years season, can't wait!

I'm very interested to see a photo of Psilocybe Alutacea, i have had a good hunt around the net but it seems there are none.

also agreeing that the Bruny Island mushrooms are Psilocybe subaeruginosa.

Happy Tasmanian Hunting!

I put together that list for the shroomery as mjshroomer's list was very out of date and innaccurate. Few things to note: All entries in the list are backed up by published sources except for Cubes in NSW but theres enough photos around to prove they definately are there. Also Tasmaniana in NSW, there is one photo posted by magicrooms and Stamet books says they occur on the mainland but no other evidence apart from that (maybe it should be removed?). Also there could be others which arent on the list for example strictipes as BM mentioned and also I've been seeing photos of aussie Pan Subbs from various states lately. And Eucalypta and Australiana are altogether ommitted as they are officially recognised as Psilocybe subaeruginosa. As for inactive psilocybes, coprophila probably grows in Tas too since its in SA, there are also others around like echinata.

• Like 1

Hi Trich-Aura.

Hope you didn't mind me borrowing your list like that. Thanks heaps hey =)

Really appreciate your putting it together as it certainly helped getting my head around what was available here in tas.

Thanks also on the tip regarding Psilocybe coprophila and psilocybe echinata.

One of my quests is to start getting photos of tas specimens, and photos of associated habitat as requested by others in the forum. There are a lot of people in the dark about what is actually out there and what they look like.

Thanks again,

Cheers, Obtuse

Its a necrobump...lol

But it is fitting to this thread instead of another.

Two new combinations in the Strophariaceae (Agaricales) of Tasmania
D.A. Ratkowsky
, G.M. Gates
and Y.S. Chang
Tasmanian Institute of Agriculture, Private Bag 54, Hobart, Tas. 7001, Australia.
School of Plant Science, University
of Tasmania, Private Bag 55, Hobart, Tas. 7001, Australia.
Cyber Plant Conservation Network (CPCNet), c/o Bioversity
International, P.O Box 236, UPM Post Office, Serdang, 43400 Selangor, Malaysia.
Author for correspondence. Email: [email protected].
Abstract
Two new taxa of Strophariaceae described in a previous paper are now seen to have been placed
in inappropriate genera, not supported by current information on their phylogenic placement. New
combinations are made here to reflect their more appropriate taxonomy. The new combinations are
Stropharia formosa and Hypholoma fasciculare var.armeniacum, based on Psilocybe formosa and
Psilocybe fascicularis var. armeniaca , respectively.
Key words:
nomenclatural changes, Tasmania, taxonomy,
Stropharia, Hypholoma, Psilocybe.
Subject Editor:
Teresa Lebel.
Published online:
1 October 2013, © 2013 Australasian Mycological Society Inc

http://www.australasianmycology.com/pages/pdf/31/AM_31_Ratkowsky.pdf

• Like 1

Western Australia
Gymnopilus junonius
Gymnopilus purpuratus
Panaeolus fimicola
Psilocybe subaeruginosa

you can add Psilocybe alutacea to Western Australia

http://mushroomobserver.org/name/show_name/40197?_js=on&_new=true

the first pic is mine found in W.A.

more of my pics and info here

http://mushroomobserver.org/68266

Edited by myco

How were those id'd myco? Because I just realized that mystery dung lover collected in Victoria which I believe this very mushroom has been not only photographed and erroneously misidentified but it was cultivated at some stage due to a print mix up from Rev.

And I'm not kidding. No one could work out what it was and a print and gill fragment was examined by workman and teonan.

well it was never microscopicly identified so we cant really be 100% on it

this is just the conclusion that was come to by both Inski and Timmit of the shroomery with the information gathered and pics showing macroscopic features

i still really want to get some fruits sent of for microscopic id but we may have lost our chance

the horses who brought these lil guys along with them have been removed from this place as they were owned by someone else

there is another couple of horses there they have all been there at the same time so hopefully the new horses have eaten plenty of spores from the grass

I remember thinking that Inski did some pretty good microscopic work. that is a pity. the Watling description of Ps.tasmaniana was also reported to look somewhat like that and it was never collected in either of the studies attempting to classify it as subaeruginosa - not that I am doubting the id.

Edited by Zen Peddler

the only things i can really confirm is they showed mainly light but sometimes very noticeable dark bruising, that is definitive

they produced a definitive purple brown spore print

they produced a very noticeable effect (although this was mainly in large doses up to 120 fruits were consumed at one time)

and in my general opinion there is no doubt at all they are a psilocybe i just cant really say 100% what they are

and for all the doubters who continually label these as simply coprophilla this is very very wrong as coprophilla are very common here and these are very different

there is loads of pics throughout this thread on the shroomery if anyone is interested in checkin em out

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14524880/fpart/1/vc/1

• Like 2