The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
darkhorse

HBWR in SW Sydney

Similar to my post in the oz plant forum will my HBWR survive being planted out into my heavy clay soils on my property, if not what to do? Any and all advice appreciated.

Similar to my post in the oz plant forum will my HBWR survive being planted out into my heavy clay soils on my property, if not what to do? Any and all advice appreciated.

I believe HBWR prefers rich, well draining soil...

But I'm sure it will be okay in your soil though, if it is at all like morning glory.....

I will give it a go and post results

I don't think it's warm enough in Sydney for them to really do their thing like they will up North.

I reckon the Coffs area is the furthest south I've seen one in the ground, and it was very healthy!

Just cause I haven't seen one in Sydney, doesn't make me right though. :wink:

I don't think it's warm enough in Sydney for them to really do their thing like they will up North.

I reckon the Coffs area is the furthest south I've seen one in the ground, and it was very healthy!

Just cause I haven't seen one in Sydney, doesn't make me right though. :wink:

i'm an hour north of sydney and it seems to grow well here, but sadly she will not flower! in fact, i don't know of anyone in my area that has got flowers, so if someone near me has, please speak up and give me some hope ;)

having said that, its planted in heavy crap clay soil and grows quite well. its gotta be at least 12 metres up this tree now (planted less than 12 months ago i think), and the upper leaves are about 30 cm across. but no flowers, so no seeds :(

edit: spelling

Edited by Alice

I was growing one for a year and seemed to be going well, over-wintered in a pot and then exploded when planted out. Some days it seemed like 30cm growth a day!.....then last winter it was all over! Gets to negative figures and frosts bad where I am though.