The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
amanito

Sprouting iboga !!! Still questions.

Iboga seeds are a gray area. They could say the seeds are part of the plant but in other statutes in which plants are made illegal, such as peyote, they specifically say that the seeds are also illegal.

Yeah, peyote is one of the only plants that I know of in which the seeds themselves are secifically mentioned as being illegal (USA). With the acknowledgment of its sacremental use by the NAC and others, it's legality too can become quite murky. http://www.peyote.net/archive/law.htm

I'm definitely not an expert on peyote law, but according to the above website, its laws vary widely according to state. Arizona for instance only requires that one have "sincere religious intent", while Texas requires that the user have NAC membership and at least 25% Native American descent, though even with the exemptions "the burden of proof still rests on the defendant". The laws barring peyote growing piss me off more than the rest. Very few people have to patience and respect to grow and preserve this endangered plant (those that do rarely eat it IME) yet our Government thinks its perfectly ok to bully its citizens around and commit xenocide as wild peyote is harvested into extinction. It's also pigheaded of the Govenment to say that a non-NAC members peyote experience is less authentic/religious because my experience didn't occur within the context of unified religious community. Ok, I'm done ranting. sorry for getting off on such a tangent. what were we talking about again?

just keep them barely moist and hot. dry cycles just seem to kill them. after 2 weeks you can nick the coat with a scalpel to help things along.

just keep them barely moist and hot. dry cycles just seem to kill them. after 2 weeks you can nick the coat with a scalpel to help things along.

Torsten,

Do dry cycles kill them or just after theyve germinated?

I think they don't hurt, Because it took me like about a month with some Iboga seeds that were already dried when i received them. I got one seed in a months time to germ and I think i allowed it to dry out a few times.

Of course don't let the whole medium dry that wouldnt be good.

I am not so concerned about germinating them Torsten what I want to know is what to do once the seedcoat has emerged?

Is it true if they are enclosed in a humidity dome environment then you don't have to do anything and the seedling will get rid of it in time?

How long before it sheds it?

Ive had the problem of using a scalping device and then once it was yellow inside which was good but i removed some of the cotyledons, and the other two times it was white which wasnt good and obviously not developed.

In any case i gave them 3-4 days before I did this. Can I just wait a week or longer and will they shed the seedcoat themselves?

Do dry cycles kill them or just after theyve germinated?

They can kill them during germination. The germing process can take a week or two and a dry cycle in this time can kill them.

I think they don't hurt, Because it took me like about a month with some Iboga seeds that were already dried when i received them.

I did not say that dry seed can't germinate. This comment is specifically about cycling.

Of course don't let the whole medium dry that wouldnt be good.

well, actually that's exactly what dry cycling means.

I am not so concerned about germinating them Torsten what I want to know is what to do once the seedcoat has emerged?

Is it true if they are enclosed in a humidity dome environment then you don't have to do anything and the seedling will get rid of it in time?

How long before it sheds it?

Once it emerges, if the coat isn't shed within about 4 days you re in trouble. High humidity will increase the shedding rate, but is no guarantee. Have a scalpel handy.

Ive had the problem of using a scalping device and then once it was yellow inside which was good but i removed some of the cotyledons, and the other two times it was white which wasnt good and obviously not developed.

Once the seed has emerged it doesn't matter what colour the cotyledon is. They will green up soon enough when exposed to light. Mine are often quite white.

one thing I have been thinking of is that if you can make out the cotyledon petioles, you can simply slice into one of these. This will free the peristem and give very good chances for one cotyledon to survive. The other cotyledon is sacrificed.

Can I just wait a week or longer and will they shed the seedcoat themselves?

The constriction around the stem will cause rotting of the meristem hence no point to grow from

Ok Torsten I gave this other seed like 4 days and it wasnt doing much so today i just decided to use a razor blade to help it get off.

I was very careful and managed to get alot off of each side of the coat and some of it near the stem for one of the sides so it went from the stem to the one of the sides( if u understand what i mean) of the coat.

It went from a green stem to the white coat, so obviously you could see it wasnt as tight and constricted as before.

I didnt get the back off, then all of a sudden I kept trying to get more off of it and I used to much pressure when i was holding the coat and it bent over and i killed the plant.

I was going to just let it be once I got the stem part and the two sides fairly well. Would that of been enough for it to get some light and do the rest on its own?

Would it green up in a few days? Or does the whole seedcoat need to be off?

I was hoping I could of left it as far as I got it and it would do the rest?

you can do it in sections if you start early enough. that way you can give it a day or two between interventions. a lot of the problem of freeing the bits is that they are folded. any piece that is liberated will quickly unfold and help to push away the next section that may or may not need to be cut.

so yeah, start the interventions early and only go as far as comfortable. then wait a day or two and start again.

if you broke the tip off the plant, don't kill it. sometimes a second shoot will come from the radicle/root or sometimes the damamge to the meristem isn't as bad as it looks.

have been searching and reading quite a while, but could not find the answers I was looking for.

Question 1:

How many seeds are in 1 iboga seed pod?

Q2:

when should they be picked off the plant?

Edited by gomaos

How many seeds are in 1 iboga seed pod?

1 to ~15. usually about 4-8.

when should they be picked off the plant?

when ripe :P

seriously, when the colour changes from green to yellow. watch out though, they can stay fully grown but green for many months and then turn yellow in 2 days. They drop soon after.