The Corroboree
PhantomTurkey

Growing HBWR for dummies?

OK, much thanks for that ... i've just mulched again with grass clippings .... and some basalt dust .... but yah, will add some soil and horse shit ;)

will post another pic when it's happy :)

thankyou Planthelper ;)

Looks like a case of mealy bugs.

Mealy bugs were attacking one of my ferns inside. They almost killed it. I sprayed the plant with some organic pesticide (that I bought) and the bugs were gone in a couple of days. The plant recovered within about a week and has been growing well since.

All the best

M.

i simply Scarified 5 of the seeds in with a file & planted straight into loamy soil without soaking

kept the soil moist so far 60% germination in just over 1 week, the last 2 may sprout over the next week, we have had 40+C temperatures the past week so hopefully the seedlings will tolerate some very warm weather ill update if the heat kills any off, they do like part shade as a young seedling from the cultivation info i have seen

Position is full sun until around 2.30 pm then they are shaded by a stone wall from the afternoon sun, so far they are doing well B)

2009_01302008-11-290053.jpg

bio: i've just mulched again with grass clippings

grass clippings are not the best for mulch unless they have been fully composted, i think some topsoil & a good organic compost mulch would bring it back to full health

Edited by mac

Photo taken today.

post-3173-1233484145_thumb.jpg

Pretty easy to grow in the monsoon tropics.

1. Where to grow. I'm located in Perth. And as you're aware it gets hot and dry here, and I know this is not an ideal climate to grow this plant.

I was thinking of putting them down the side of my house against the fence. This area is shaded for most of the day. It gets 2 hours of sun around 9/10 in the morning. Currently there is an ivy vine growing on the fence, would be nice to see this replaced with the Woodrose. Concerned that there will not be enough sun... but don't want them in the harsh Perth sun (especially this time of year).

2. When should I repot? Presently all the seedlings are in one pot (wasn't sure how many would come up). I'm planning on moving them to their own individual pots but wanted to know the best time/method of doing this. Should I wait until they start to vine? Eventually I'd like to put them in the ground, but won't until I find the ideal location.

Pretty happy to have sprouted my first plants.

Thanks in advance for your help people!

1) Do you have any shade cloth? While I don't grow this type of plant, I do a lot of seedlings (about a week old) under 25% shadecloth for a little while and then introduce them to full sun for plant out.

2) I would pot up now into a 15cm pot now, possibly even a little bigger, and wait until they get large in the pot but not root bound - then plant out. Keep introducing direct sunlight for 30-45mins a day, back under shade cloth. Good time of year to do it as it will start cooling down soon..

• Like 1