The Corroboree
bit

Have I bought another scop?

Question

Hrm.. I could have sworn this was pach.. but on closer inspection it doesn't seem to have any spines at all.. which leads me to think it could be scop? Sorry about the pic quality.

IMG_9099.jpg

IMG_9100.jpg

13 answers to this question

hmm, thats possibly some of the biggest photos ive EVER seen on these forums.. i thought T said he had some pictue size optimising function enabled?

By my eyes it looks like the spines have been removed??? doesnt look typical scopish to me, more cordobensis or something like that.

Beautiful big and healthy specimen i must say! very very awesome score bit, your quite the monster long hauler arent you.

looks like a scop to me mate... was it bitter at all? I usualy give my cutting the lick test when they have some exposed flesh.

hmm, thats possibly some of the biggest photos ive EVER seen on these forums.. i thought T said he had some pictue size optimising function enabled?

By my eyes it looks like the spines have been removed??? doesnt look typical scopish to me, more cordobensis or something like that.

Beautiful big and healthy specimen i must say! very very awesome score bit, your quite the monster long hauler arent you.

Biggest photos? :huh: 800x600 @ 78kb?

Spines have not been removed, I helped the seller cut this off the parent plant, which is huge! Doesn't really look scopish to me either, but the lack of spines made me wonder..

Yep, me the monster cacti hunter :D There's another cutting this size up for sale that I hope to procure also :D

dont get me wrong, i love big photos, i use broadband so no dramas... i just thought it wasnt actually possible to post pics that big for some reason... or maybe its the old computer and crappy browser that makes them seem so big.

I def dont think its a scop, but the spinelessness points towards the possibility of somekind of hybrid.

Seed would be very very much appreciated over here if you could ever wrangle such things.

i bet that arm weighed quite a lot!

dont get me wrong, i love big photos, i use broadband so no dramas... i just thought it wasnt actually possible to post pics that big for some reason... or maybe its the old computer and crappy browser that makes them seem so big.

I def dont think its a scop, but the spinelessness points towards the possibility of somekind of hybrid.

Seed would be very very much appreciated over here if you could ever wrangle such things.

i bet that arm weighed quite a lot!

Coolness :) Yeah it is quite heavy.. I'm trying to devise a method of supporting it when I plant it..

A couple of other kiwis have id's this as Juuls, although it's different to this one also id'd as Juuls:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/evo...MG_8898copy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/evo...ts/IMG_6269.jpg

Edited by bit

Nice find.

No idea what it is, but I definitely think it's not a scop.

Although as mentioned, spinelessness is possibly an indication of hybrid, maybe the mummy or daddy was a scop?

Also, as this is clearly a mature specimen, you should only really compare it to photos of other mature specimens for identification purpose (at least, imo).

I ID'd it as scop because I got a piece from Darcy named as such a while back that looked the same.

Wasnt Jono's big scop find spineless?

I wouldn't say a scop, and those really small areoles are common on most Juul's. I might also add that some better focused and lit shots would be appreciated, especially of the growing tip....oh, and a clipping sent me way. :)

How about spines, are there any longer ones on the lower portions of the stalk?

~Michael~

I wouldn't say a scop, and those really small areoles are common on most Juul's. I might also add that some better focused and lit shots would be appreciated, especially of the growing tip....oh, and a clipping sent me way. :)

How about spines, are there any longer ones on the lower portions of the stalk?

~Michael~

Here's a couple more pics, one of the tip and one of the spines lower down the plant. Pity I didn't have my camera to take pix of the mother plant :/ If you're serious about a clipping send me a pm - the seller had more of the same, for a very reasonable price ($50NZ for this cutting) :)

IMG_9104.jpg

IMG_9101.jpg

Edited by bit

there is no limit to the size of pics that can be sourced from elsewhere [as these are]. the images that are uploaded to the server are a different story.

Hmm, by the looks of the tip it doesnt look like a straight scop does it?

Any chance of getting a reply on the lick test?

Hmm, by the looks of the tip it doesnt look like a straight scop does it?

Any chance of getting a reply on the lick test?

Heh, sorry forgot to reply to that. The vendor cut and applied sulphur as I watched, so I didn't get a chance to lick the flesh. :wacko: