The Corroboree
insearchwhy

harvesting acacia obtusifolia

hello everyone well ive find myself acaia obtusifolia lots of it, its around 3 hours drive from were i live. I wanted to harvest this plant but i wouldnt know how to without damaging and i couldnt damage it, I and they wont let that happen. So i was wondering if you botanical philosophers would be able to teach me a way to sustainably harvest this species. My intuition says after strong winds then the acacia would be giving parts of itself for me to use for my own small personal use ofcourse in zimbabwee this use will be done. Anyway any of your tips and suggestions would be appreciated i value your time and effort in helping thankyou

take care everyone

i strongly believe that you shoudl not harvest a live plant wit and look hard fro a dead fallendown one, if there are lots ther is bound to be a dead one somewhere. just my 2 cents

I agree, surely if there are so many you can find one already on the ground, or collect dropped branches - go up after some strong winds :)

If the trees are willing for your interactions with them, they will present themselves to you.

I also strongly feel that there is absolutely no neccessity to harvest living plant material, when fallen, dying and diseased material is in abundance.

I am glad this message is getting through, and i can see by your post that you understand the necessity for respect and reverence when interacting with these powerfull spirit guides.

One would imagine that recent fires and storms may well provide an opportunity to those whom are willing to spend the time and energy searching for fallen/dying specimens.

However i would strongly reccomend such activities to take place in areas of state forest/logging, as opposed to vulnerable ecosystems present in national parks.

Personally, i feel the trees can be accessed in much more wholesome ways, such as through ongoing love and nurture provided via the cultivation relationship, and also the use of flower essences.

however i do understand that there is a neccessity for some people to access the guidance this plant provides on a more 'in your face' level. For me this is un-neccessary as i feel for the most part i have recieved what relevent messages i need, at least for the time being.

If i were to hypothetically come accross a dead or dying plant, i would try not to disrupt the surrounding soil too much, and ensure that there is a minimal amount of reduction in bio-mass .

I would also be incredibally carefull not to disrupt the surrounding root matrix of other plants, as many native plants have very sensitive root systems and even minor damage can proove fatal.

Some people would argue that this is all too feather duster cotton wool, but i firmly believe in walking as lightly on the earth as possible, especially within the context of todays day and age.

I also feel that some people may well project their own will and intent onto the trees, and in doing so, 'justify' their own human lust, as opposed to truly listening to the trees, and understanding that all will be provided for, and that killing is for the most part un-necessary.

There is a lot to be said for allowing for the earth and its spirits to decide whether or not the work is to be done, as opposed to telling the earth and the spirits that 'i feel this is how it has to be, therefore it is'.

For me, this represents the difference between 'shamanic healing' and 'sorcery'.

'sorcery' being the will and intent of the human over spirit, healing being the manifestation and working of true spirit/nature.

HOWEVER, this is just my personal perspective on it all, and im not in any way saying the voices in my head are any more aligned with 'the way' then anyone elses.

I think most of all we should listen to our hearts, and see what spirit has to say about it.... I just think it is important that we are able to discern between what WE want to hear, and what spirit is actually saying.

PLANT LOVE! :wub:

Edited by ({E})
  • Like 1

insearchwhy - I am impressed by the maturity you have in approaching this issue :wub: . As {E} says, there is usually no need to take any living material, especially if you can go out after a storm or during a long dry spell as this is when you will find ample broken branches and fallen trees. It's really good to see the message getting through :)

For anyone else considering live tree harvest I wish to just repeat what has been said before. Any single injury to a tree may kill it due to breaking it's defences against fungi, borers and other insects. If you are going to harvest from live trees make sure to keep the number to a minimum, ie rather take down a whole tree and share it than to take small strips of stem bark from several trunks. Look for trees with borer attack or with obvious injuries that will spell an early death anyway.

And if you just want a tiny amount then a clean cut of a branch without ripping into the trunk bark [countercut first!!] is the most acceptable compromise.

But really, if you haven't got the time to wait for some fallen limbs or trees, then maybe you shouldn't have the time to consume the product either.

• Like 1

insearchwhy - I am impressed by the maturity you have in approaching this issue :wub: . As {E} says, there is usually no need to take any living material, especially if you can go out after a storm or during a long dry spell as this is when you will find ample broken branches and fallen trees. It's really good to see the message getting through :)

For anyone else considering live tree harvest I wish to just repeat what has been said before. Any single injury to a tree may kill it due to breaking it's defences against fungi, borers and other insects. If you are going to harvest from live trees make sure to keep the number to a minimum, ie rather take down a whole tree and share it than to take small strips of stem bark from several trunks. Look for trees with borer attack or with obvious injuries that will spell an early death anyway.

And if you just want a tiny amount then a clean cut of a branch without ripping into the trunk bark [countercut first!!] is the most acceptable compromise.

But really, if you haven't got the time to wait for some fallen limbs or trees, then maybe you shouldn't have the time to consume the product either.

Excellent advice above.

Should we add that plants in seed should also be avoided? I'm not sure of the flowering/seeding time for these but I think it's wise to give the plants a chance to shed seed if possible. As I understand it Acacia obtusifolia only has a 20-30 year life max anyhow.

I'm lookking for a chart specifying the alkaloid content of obsutifolia, and other acacia's? Any assistance please? Searching doesn't seem to be working

I'm lookking for a chart specifying the alkaloid content of obsutifolia, and other acacia's? Any assistance please? Searching doesn't seem to be working

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia#Alkaloids

there are 78 ones with goodies mentioned in there its not very detailed on most of em

eg.

Acacia obtusifolia

Tryptamine, DMT, NMT, other tryptamines, 0.4-0.5% in dried bark, 0.07% in branch tips.

^My personal experience suggest that the nn is the strongest component, from what I've heard. Where can one order bulk bark? :)

Bark of DMT containing plants is illegal in Australia. No one here is going to tell you where to order any, and you'd be putting yourself at risk if you order any either within this country or from overseas.

LoL, I was more playing with alliteration of bulk bark, but thanks for the humourless warning :rolleyes:

Why anyway? Acacia Obtusifolia is certialy not illegal.

"Why anyway? Acacia Obtusifolia is certialy not illegal."

No obtusifloia is not but DMT is & the scheduling states DMT containing material (live material is not included) is illegal & not just that u r charged for the weight of the mterial not the DMT it contains & even worse it is S9 the same schedule as heroin or coke. I believe the charge is the same for 2 grams of DMT as it is for 1 gram of heroin.

From peoples experiences does obtusifolia generally contain 5 meo dmt? If so would it be in high enough concentrations to change the overall experience or require the use of much a smaller dosage?

^Not in my experience with it. Uusually very clear DMT experience. Some variations had been noted- such as lengtheing of effects, but that could be some synery with other small amounts of tryptamines. This acacia is a very good candiadte for extraraction of alkaloids.

I can say for certain that acacia bark wouldn't be illegal. Unless someone can say for more certain :)

I can say for certain that acacia bark wouldn't be illegal. Unless someone can say for more certain :)

On what foundation do you base your certainty?

"On what foundation do you base your certainty?"

One could only assume stupidity.

"I can say for certain that acacia bark wouldn't be illegal. Unless someone can say for more certain "

The only two cases where that could be true is if it was still attached to a living tree or the Acacia species in questions bark did not contain DMT.

im a horticulturist by trade and i can definately tell u that if i have to prune any DMT acacia it is not illegal for me to put the pruning's in my car and then take them to the tip. It would be more illegal for me to irresponsibly dump these on the side of the road.

infact it is not even illegal for me to put those pruning's through a mulcher before using the mulch elsewhere.

im a horticulturist by trade and i can definately tell u that if i have to prune any DMT acacia it is not illegal for me to put the pruning's in my car and then take them to the tip. It would be more illegal for me to irresponsibly dump these on the side of the road.

infact it is not even illegal for me to put those pruning's through a mulcher before using the mulch elsewhere.

For all practical purposes you are correct - but I wouldn't rely too much on your knowledge of horticulture in this. If you read the legislation in most states you'll find that it probably is actually illegal to do the things you mention.

Unfortunately/fortunately (?) there haven't been any test cases, so we don't really know where things stand in terms of how the courts will interpret the law. However, the most strict interpretation of the legislation is that having harvested DMT containing plant material is illegal regardless of intent.

Personally, I would really like to see a horticulturalist (with a completely clean house and record) getting busted for pruning some Acacia branches. That would be a perfect way to highlight the hypocrisy and ignorance of our drug laws.

For all practical purposes you are correct - but I wouldn't rely too much on your knowledge of horticulture in this. If you read the legislation in most states you'll find that it probably is actually illegal to do the things you mention.

Unfortunately/fortunately (?) there haven't been any test cases, so we don't really know where things stand in terms of how the courts will interpret the law. However, the most strict interpretation of the legislation is that having harvested DMT containing plant material is illegal regardless of intent.

Personally, I would really like to see a horticulturalist (with a completely clean house and record) getting busted for pruning some Acacia branches. That would be a perfect way to highlight the hypocrisy and ignorance of our drug laws.

Clearly this issue would be one of intent with regards to the plant material. Possessing the plant material itself is not a crime, nor prohibited unless the material had been obtained from a national park/state forest where behaviour like taking plant material is a no-no. But merely being in possession of the plant material would hold no adverse consequences. This being said, if you were at the same time possessing any equipment for the extraction (a stupid move at t he best of times to carry raw material and extraction equipment) a case could clearly be made that you were in possession for the purposes of illicit drug manufacture/extraction.

Clearly this issue would be one of intent with regards to the plant material. Possessing the plant material itself is not a crime, nor prohibited unless the material had been obtained from a national park/state forest where behaviour like taking plant material is a no-no. But merely being in possession of the plant material would hold no adverse consequences. This being said, if you were at the same time possessing any equipment for the extraction (a stupid move at t he best of times to carry raw material and extraction equipment) a case could clearly be made that you were in possession for the purposes of illicit drug manufacture/extraction.

You are simply incorrect. Posessing the plant material IS a crime, and a heftily punished one at that. A kilo of bark = a kilo of heroin under federal law.

Possessing extraction equipment and/or finished extracted material only adds a charge of manufacture (or conspiracy to manufacture ) as well as possible distribution charges to the already existing possible possession charges.

A kilo of bark = a kilo of heroin under federal law.

Would having a kilo of dried poppies in your cupboard be the same under law as having a kilo of dried morphine resin?

Would a kilo of dried bark in your cupboard be the same under law as having a kilo of white, extracted DMT crystals?

I don't know, i'm just asking..

Technically, the answer to all of those questions is yes.

The sentencing for each might end up being different, it's up to the judges discretion and how much you pay for your lawyer I guess.

You are simply incorrect. Posessing the plant material IS a crime, and a heftily punished one at that. A kilo of bark = a kilo of heroin under federal law.

Possessing extraction equipment and/or finished extracted material only adds a charge of manufacture (or conspiracy to manufacture ) as well as possible distribution charges to the already existing possible possession charges.

Given that the plant can be grown quite legally, there is no prohibition to possessing the plant material itself unless there is a clear intent to extract the prohibited compound, extracting or possessing the extract are the illegal activities.

Given that the plant can be grown quite legally, there is no prohibition to possessing the plant material itself unless there is a clear intent to extract the prohibited compound, extracting or possessing the extract are the illegal activities.

Actually you are wrong. Under Australia law, any material that is not growing on the plant or usable for propagation (i.e. a cutting) is considered a preperation and is therefore technically illegal.