The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bit

Posting pics of illegal plants?

Hey guys and gals

What's the protocol for posting pics of a plant which is illegal in the country you're posting from? Is it a case of 'a friend of a friend has one of these and sent me some pics' ? Or just go for it, or keep it to yourself and never share... ??

post them and say they are from a friend in a country where these are legal. Just make sure nothing incriminating is in the photos.

Choose a random kazakhstani, moldovan, or russian name and put it in the photo along with the © sign- say you found it on a P2P.

j/k :P

Are there really cacti that are illegal in NZ?

© Алекса́ндр Иса́евич Солжени́цын

BTW I found the above post on a P2P

Are there really cacti that are illegal in NZ?

Yep, most types of Peres, and Lophora :(

I would assume as weeds, but that wouldnt mean they are illegal to post photos of.

I would assume as weeds, but that wouldnt mean they are illegal to post photos of.

I assume that's the reason too. Whatever the reason they're illegal to import and grow, so posting pictures could still be incriminating.

I assume that's the reason too. Whatever the reason they're illegal to import and grow, so posting pictures could still be incriminating.

I reckon you should do some more research. The reason why I am questioning this is because NZ on the whole has much more intelligent drug laws than Aus. Lophophora isn't illegal here so why would it be there? of course this is highly generalised but unless you have read the legislation or spoken to someone very reliable I would be skeptical.

Pereskiopsis has not been assessed by MAF, but the Pereskias are all legal to import into NZ hence i doubt there would be any restrictions on Pereskiopsis when assessed. Please do not spread unsubstantiated misinformation.

As for posting pics of illegal plants... I have many such pics. I have about 30 pics of Erythroxylum novogranatense taken at Berlin Botanic Garden, grow rooms of cannabis taken in amsterdam, fields edges covered in poppies in poland, Kratom pics from Thailand and from when they were legal in Oz, and sally pics from when they were legal here. I make a point of not taking any photos of plant where they are illegal as this can only incriminate the owner or youself. Hence, posting such pics would not be illegal as far as I can tell.

Pereskiopsis has not been assessed by MAF, but the Pereskias are all legal to import into NZ hence i doubt there would be any restrictions on Pereskiopsis when assessed. Please do not spread unsubstantiated misinformation.

Hi Torsten. Can you please point me in the direction you got this info from? I have seen the NZ Biosecurity list (it's quite old and hasn't been updated). Pereskopsis is definitely not on it. If it's not on the list you can't import it.

The MAF website has a database search.

Just like in Oz there are three levels of legality of imports.

1 - assessed as illegal

2 - assessed as legal

3 - not assessed.

while you are right that you can't import unassessed species, it is actually not illegal to do so and such species are not prohibited by definition. It just means that you will have to go through the assessment process with MAF. Now, seeing that all Pereskias are assessed and permitted it is quite safe to assume that pereskiopsis would be permitted after assessment as well.

So, while it may not be legal to import Pereskiopsis, it is certainly not a prohibited species yet.

I reckon you should do some more research. The reason why I am questioning this is because NZ on the whole has much more intelligent drug laws than Aus. Lophophora isn't illegal here so why would it be there?

:puke:

What makes you think that NZ has more 'intelligent' drug laws than Aus? Cause we sure as hell don't....our drug laws are equally as retarded as yours or the USA.

Here's the prohibited plant section from the NZ Misuse of Drugs Act 1975

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prohibited plant means—

(a)Any plant of the genus Cannabis:

(b)Any plant of the species Papaver somniferum:

( c)Erythroxylon coca and Erythroxylon novagranatense (syn E truxillense ) and every other species of the genus Erythroxylon from which a controlled drug can be produced:

(d)Any plant of the species Lophophora williamsii or Lophophora lewinii:

[(e)Any fungus of the genera Conocybe, Panaeolus, or Psilocybe from which a controlled drug can be produced or which contains a controlled drug:]

(f)Any other plant which is declared to be a prohibited plant by regulations made under this Act:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just the plants that are illegal for being drugs. There is a multitude of other plants which are illegal to possess in NZ for biosecurity purposes. Pretty much any plant that isn't already in NZ, or is in NZ but without certification, is illegal.

Edited by zee_werp