The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
waterdragon

datura query

can i cross a white datura metel with a d.stramonium? and if so, how to go about that?

come on someone here knows something, don't make me research. plenty of brug crosses about, same thing would nearly have to apply to daturas no? and given the beauty and fragrance of some of these flowers why is info scarce? ish.

the range of successful brug crosses is really limited.see 'brugmansia and datura' by u and h-g preissel.

this book has charts,listing viable crossings for brug and datura.

datura's usually self pollinate before the flower opens.

t s t .

Guest reville

I would be suprised if these two crossed. I am not speaking from the position of expertise just my own observations.

Theyre so different. From the time they emerge, through the vegetative phase, the flowers and especially the seed. By appearances (gross) it looks they are quite different branches of the family tree.

Maybe youd have better luck with Stramonium and ferox, they look and develop very similarly.

And i wonder about metel, meteloides (innoxia) and wrightii, they all have alot in common, its actually fairly difficult to tell the apart when they are small.

But then again if the chromosome numbers complement and the pollen incompatibility can be overcome, maybe?

[This message has been edited by reville (edited 07 December 2002).]

thanks for the input gents. the reason i was thinking of a cross is these are the only two that i have, stramonium i grow every year because i like to be near it, the metel is the double white that rev provided at eb2002.

Many brug species are not far from speciation and retain compatibility to their parentage. Datura species are much more distinct and will not interbreed if you use the up-to-date key. ie, Datura meteloides will cross with datura wrightii, as meteloides and wrightii are in fact varieties or synonyms of Datura inoxia.

Guest mandragora

I had a list with what is to cross and what not, have to search for this. But I am shure that I send it to Earthalchemist.

I have a look...