The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
wrinkled_dragons

New babies ID help?

Question

I have been lurking for about a week now after checking out a few forums focusing on the 'desert' aspect of enlightenment, and decided this one is definatly the most impressive as far as their knowlege of cacti and succulents are concerned.

If somone can help me, I think mabey the one on the right is mabey a Gray Ghost ,Stenocereus pruinosus? Neither of these fellas were marked species wise, they just said variety cactus at the local mejers grocery store mixed in with the christmas cactus. (in the states)

I also picked up an adorable little squat girl who is all lumpy and bright green with three tiny purplish straw like flowers long since dried up, but from which I can really see the difference in color by compairson with my two tall stickery boys. (she is much brighter cleaner green while these two are more dusty blue/green by compairson.) I notice the spines on the taller thinner guy are yellow, while the shorter heavier set fella are more brownish black, but the lighter spined boy I might 'guess' could be a blue columar,, but thats just a big guess on my part.

Am I way off on my novice species guessing? I breed cats as a hobby now, but frankly with all the clean up and my natural collecting tendancy I can easily see how cactus would be simpler, but not nearly as cuddly haha. :lol:

post-2287-1165000449_thumb.jpg

Edited by wrinkled_dragons

8 answers to this question

The first one does look like a Stenocereus, not sure which species. And the second is a mystery to me. Looks kinda like a lot of things but not completely like anything I know well.

I have one the first also. A smaller sample.

It's a Pilosocereus azureus.

The second looks like a Trichocereus sp. and has hybrid like features - maybe a cross between a peruvianus and scopulicola.

Yeahh, so I AM learning lol, thankyou both so much!! (after searching at a baffling list of similiar looking cacti , I wasnt sure if I was or not!)

Sincerely, Jennifer

Edited by wrinkled_dragons

Yeah I agree with sob on the first ID, but the second one is weird, like creach said looks like a lot of things. I don't think Echinopsis.

First one Pilocereus definately. Second one I'd say def not Echinopsis but beyond that I cant say

With a second examination the second specimen actually looks like a Myrtillocactus sp.

Possibly Myrtillocactus schenckii.

The one on the right is Stenocereus griseus.

~Michael~

ditto that on the S. griseus. Looks like one I have.