The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Chile Buzz Poll

The question was raised wheather hot peppers can count as a 'Legal High' or not. Some people (myself included) can get a definate endorphin buzz from hot peppers, others only feel the burn. I dont know if the people that only feel the burn are insensative to the buzz, or if they just dont use enough at a time to get it. This is a poll to see how many of you get the buzz and how many only get the burn.

1 vote for Buzz.

Possible 1 on the buzz

Definitely 1 vote for the burn.

I guess for some it is hard to seperate pleasure from pain...

Anyway, here is a link from the Molecule of the month site: http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/chilli/endorphins.htm

E D

buzz'n'burn

ive always loved chilli and obviously dont get the burn that other people do.

never thought of the buzz,but now i think of it i do feel pretty nice after.

never really thought of how addictive chilli is either.

i just have to stop myself from eating it sometimes.

btw.

a chilli freak friend of mine sent away and got seeds for 'the hottest chilli in the world' acording to the guiness book of records.

i havent tried it yet but he gave me 3 seeds.

i couldnt grow them out this year but im sure he has.

ill find out and get some seed if anyone is interested.

has chilli ever been used for any other medicinakl purposes other than buzz and sinus clearing?

[This message has been edited by spiraleyes (edited 25 November 2002).]

I didn't really dispute the buzz. You said yourself that it is an endorphin rush, so how is it different to any other pain infliction (or is it the relief that is the buzz).

I forced myself to eat half a fresh nutmeg today. It is intense, hot, bitter... relaly quicte yucky. I got a buzz from that and it wasn't the myristicin, but rather the relief.

And what is the actual chilli buzz? just body heat and endorphins? I used to feed chilli to my chickens to make them go broody (it works by raising their core temp), but ..... anyway I digress.

Lots of things can give highs and buzzes that are not really understood to be legal highs. Where do we draw the line. Is there a line?

I wonder if the traditional way of consuming chocolate (with chilli) is a synergy of the chilli buzz and choc buzz?

Burn = 1

Buzz = 1

High = 0

smile.gif

Guest reville

Buzz - 1

burn - 0 (unless abstaining for more than a few months)

High - ? difficult to say. As you say T where is the line, it is pleasant, it is stimulating, it leaves a systemic 'afterglow' as well as a possible 'Cisternic' afterglow wink.gif, and it has synergy with other drugs (ie beer)

Ive always been interested in Traditional mexican ways of eating chocolate (since i read of Aztec mushroom parties and the mexican dish mole poblano) and if they differ - but for that ill need a new thread or back to the old one smile.gif

[This message has been edited by reville (edited 26 November 2002).]

Buzz - 1

Burn - 1

I once had mild convulsions from excessive chili while teaching a macho man that eating chili is just tolerance from addiction and, when having a Charly's special at the now defunct Plaza in Manchester, the application of mind over matter. It would probably not have caused the violent shaking if I had thrown up but I used to have an iron constitution.

Runs? You obviously don't know about the trick of adding something acidic to your chilied dishes.

The reason limes are in chili and tamarinds in curry (though I prefer to use lemons in my curry) is because they make the capsaicin more available in the mouth and stomach increasing the burn but ensuring that most of the capsaicin is absorbed before it can affect the lower parts of the digestive tract.

Meat reduces the chili hit because it binds with the capsaicin, as do some creamy vegan things like hempmilk. You have to add a lot more chili for a hempmilk curry. I can't remember if they affect the guts as badly.

Was the hottest Chili in the world Indian? I seem to remember the Mexicans were beaten recently as more of the many varieties found in India were tested.

Interestingly chocolate bingeing is inhibited by vanilla. After reading a paper on this I tested it by eating a lot of 70%chocolate rapidly. The brand that contained vanilla was not appealing, even a little nauseating, after the first 100 grammes, the brand that did not contain vanilla was still morish after 200, with no feeling of nausea.

Chili is a vanilloid receptor agonist. I didn't eat enough of the chili chocolate quickly enough to evaluate its effect on chocolate aversion.

Vanilla is an inhibitor of GABA transaminase, but I have yet to find out its effect on the vanilloid receptors.

Runs? You obviously don't know about the trick of adding something acidic to your chilied dishes.

I didn't know that actually. Cheers wink.gif

Last night I ate half a jar of pickled jalapenos. I find the burn from these is strong enough to enjoy, but does not distract me from the buzz as the really hot chillis.

Guest reville

Pickled jalapenos are what can i say.. there aren't words to describe them...

Whenever we buy a pizza or get a sandwich fom a salad bar we always ask for extra...more...yep more...keep on going..couple more.

I love to just eat them out of the jar..mmm

thats whats missing in my life smile.gif

Theo, I like vanilla chocolate, especially as milk shakes. No inhibitory effect here wink.gif

The only times I got a definite "high" from chilli and curry was in South India.

To me the South indian vegetarian food is the best in the world.

After eating in certain restaurants in Mysore etc. I felt definitely stoned when I stepped out on the street after eating, and this couldn't have been from anything else because we didn't have any other drugs at the time.

I still eat lots of chilli and love it, I HATE the BLANDamerican/european/australian style of cooking and put curry and chilli into just about everything I cook.

Is it also true that chilli contains more Vitamin C than citrus fruit?

""The hottest chilli in the world" is called Tepin."

I grow Tepin, it is really hot but it is definatly not the hottest. Its 75,000-100,000 SHU, while caribbean red is 445,600 SHU and caribbean red isn't even the hottest. It is said one ounce of seedless Tepin can produce a detectable hotness in over 300 gallons salsa (I never tested that claim though, I generally make salsa in somewhat smaller quantities wink.gif).

I remember eating a chilli in india which was extremely hot, unsure of what it was exactly, but quite small and green.

quite a strong mouth burning sensation but also extreme head rushes, which was followed by feeling very light headed and for the next few days bad rash all over my body.

I get both buzz and burn, sometimes one at a time, also i find myself putting it on EVERYTHING, i have to stop myself as i eat it too much hehe

Hiya AUX,

What kinds of peppers are you interested in cultivating?

Curious....

Ever heard of Prometon...?

No I've never heard of Prometon. Right now I have tepin, fatalii (yellow), caribbean red, dundicut, atarodo, capsicum chacoense, bulgarian carrot, chinchi-uchu, bell, and paprika. Half of those I havent got fruit from yet. I also have seeds for about 20 more varieties and I am trying to get every capsicum species known to exist, I'm over 19% the way there (I'm gonna solve the curse of the pubescens species, darn things wont cross breed with any other species- yet).

Basically I'm trying to locate every species except annuum, chinense, fruitescens, chacoense, and baccatum (I might have officially named and tested flexuosum, eximium, praetermissum, and pubescens coming but I wont know for sure until they get here, I'm getting those from the government and you know how unreliable governments can be! If I do get 'em I'll have over 34% of all known species smile.gif and I have actually found someone with the extremely rare galapagoensis!!! But I havent conned him out of any seeds yet, they are his pride and joy and I'll need something really sweet to offer him for trade).

Hey Auxin, If you are indeed that deep into capsicums..... "if you'd like some seeds from a pepper spp. "Promenton" grown here email me... (No clue what the latin name is) .... good chance that it is a caribbean capsicum (spp)

my email addy is [email protected]

[This message has been edited by brian (edited 14 December 2002).]

Prometon, thats a kind of paprika right? Is it a sweet pepper or a hot pepper?

Anyways, the reason I'm trying to collect every known capsicum species is because I have taken on the king of all pepper genetics projects. I am GOING to fix a error of natural selection, Capsicum pubescens has apparently lost its ability to crossbreed with other capsicum species and it has resulted in a dangerously low level of genetic diversity in the species, so with some low tech GE tricks to introduce genes from other species and then some hopeful hybridizing with rare wild species I'm gonna make a pubescens variety capable of interspecific hybridity! It just might take a decade or two. My government did come through and provide 5 of the 6 rare peppers I asked for, so now I just need the following species:

Capsicum abbreviatum

Capsicum brasilianum

Capsicum buforum

Capsicum campylopodium

Capsicum cardenasii

Capsicum chlorocladium

Capsicum coccineum

Capsicum cornutum

Capsicum dimorphum

Capsicum dusenii

Capsicum exile

Capsicum flexuosum

Capsicum galapagoensis

Capsicum geminifolium

Capsicum hookerianum

Capsicum lanceolatum

Capsicum leptopodum

Capsicum luteum

Capsicum minutiflorum

Capsicum mirabile

Capsicum parvifolium

Capsicum schottianum

Capsicum scolnikianum

Capsicum stramonifolium

Capsicum tovarii

Capsicum villosum

There is a defenite numb feeling, that is felt with med-large amount of chillie...

it burns to a certain extent...then the mouth feels a "numb burning" feeling, nothing can be felt.