The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

kava extract???

Incidently, I am pretty sure HHH is selling Kavaman extract at the moment.,

Its water extract though, I belive the good stuff was extracted using a freeze drying process.

I was at HHH in Newtown yesterday (by the way, they HAVEN'T moved yet) and saw the 'instant kava' for $5 a pop. Seems a little pricey for such a small quantity - ie perhaps a level tablespoon of powder. .

We also went down to the Fijiian Market on King Street - sadly they have shut up shop, looks like only recently too.

As a new Kava convert, my money's on Herbalistics stuff ! 25grams definately gives noticed effects, and I'll be trying 50grams on Australia Day ! Saying that, I haven't tried SAB or any other suppliers yet.

it should be noted that kava extract has been thought to cause liver damage

The liver damage issue seems to be confirmed as a result of product that has used the leaves and not the root. So if it's a leaf extract then yea, you might be in some trouble.

ONLY pharmaceutical extracts were implicated in the live damage dramas. No traditional extracts from confirmed root powder only have even been implicated in this fiasco. A hepatoxic alkaloid was found in the aerial parts [only] about 2 years ago and there has also been confirmation that pharmaceutical companies were buying up non-root material to satisfy demand. I think it is quite safe to assume that the problem lies in the greedy and ignorant use of aerial parts.