The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
-bijanto-

Elaeocarpus ganitrus (Ganitri, Rudraksha)

Elaeocarpus is a genus of tropical and subtropical evergreen trees and shrubs. The approximately 350 species are distributed from Madagascar in the west through India, Southern China, Nepal, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand, Australia and Pacific Islands (Fiji, Solomon). Around 70% of the Ganitri trees are found in Indonesia, However, 15%-20% of the commercially grown plants are found growing in Nepal and Uttar Pradesh, India."

Elaeocarpus ganitrus is commonly called Rudraksha Tree in India, also called Ganitri Tree or Jenitri Tree in Indonesia. Its English name is Utrasum Bead Tree. This plant produces seeds known as Rudraksha, Ganitri or Jenitri. The seeds have been traditionally considered sacred in Hinduism as they are believed to be the tears of the shiva. In Sanskrit, rudra means shiva and aksh means eye. The dried seeds are used used as rosary beads and necklaces for meditation purposes.

gallery_831_61_17309.jpg

The above picture shows the fruits of Elaeocarpus ganitrus. They were harvested from scattered trees in my town. In Indonesia, Ganitri tree flowers between August to September and fruits between September to November. Inside each fruit there is one seed that look like this:

gallery_831_7_4240.jpg

Rudraksha beads have been used for thousands of years as an aid to self empowerment and the self enlightment. Hindus believe that rudraksha beads have healing properties and that they affect the human body when worn. Other sources also mention that Rudraksha beads are dielectrical as they store electrical energy and also possess electromagnetic properties changing with the variation in the number of faces (mukhis) on the surface of the beads. The number of mukhis on the surface of a rudraksha bead helps in determining its quality. According to the number of mukhis the rudrakasha bead ranges from single face to a several faced bead. Asian yogis and monks found that merely wearing the rudraksha beads gave them astonishingly tremendous amount of tranquility, concentration that helped them meditate for a long period of time with spectacular control over their mind.

Artificial rudraksha is often made from the wild berry seeds or nuts. But these berries cannot be made as real as the ones that are in the genuine ones and therefore easily be detected by an experienced eye. Here the mukhi means the deep lining running through the diameter of a Rudraksha bead. Looking at these deep linings-facets one can recognize real Rudraksha. There are some simple tests to distinguish the real rudraksha from fake one, though there is no fullproof method. A real bead does not float the surface of water or milk. It is also believed if in a string one suspends a real Rudraksha over a contaminated onion, it will begin to rotate. The best quality rudraksha is a little greasy, rounded, hard, with protuberant mouth, clear face, and with a natural hole. It should be worn on solar or lunar eclipse day after performing ritual worship.

The five-faced rudrakasha are very commonly found and therefore are mostly the real ones. The one-faced variety of rudrakasha is rare and and also very expensive. Rudraksha having 2,3,4,6,7, or 8 faces can also be found easily but its price is more than the five-faced Rudrakshas. Generally the Rudrakasha sold in the market are real ones as they are available in abundant in the nature but the Rudrakasha that are of rare kind are prepared artificially in order to satisfy the increasing demand of people. Price of a rudraksha bead does not affects its religious or spiritual importance or medicinal value. Thus there is no link or connection between the price of Rudraksha and its religious, spirituals and medicinal importance.

Compiled from various sources, mainly from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaeocarpus

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=37369

http://www.rajasthanpatrika.com/ASTROLOGY/...a/rudraksha.htm

Edited by -bijanto-

Thanks Bijanto. That's great!

I have a special interest in this genus as I worked on an Elaeocarp for my honours thesis.

The fruits look very similar to E. grandis, a species our members from N NSW and upwards will recognise.

The seeds look very similar too. I have some E. grandis endocarps which are intricate and look very cool, they make good jewellery. I'll post a picture as soon as I buy a computer!

Also, is the species native to Indonesia? Or are the Indo plants naturalised imports from India/Nepal?

Do you have access to these trees?

Edited by MORG

MORG, I dont know for sure, but from sources I have read, this species is native to India, Southern China Indonesia (Java, Sumatra, Borneo, Sulawesi, Papua), Philippines, Thailand etc. This is possible because long time ago some part of Indonesia was part of Asia and some other part (mainly the eastern) was part of Australia.

The first people who inhabited Indonesia also came from Yunnan (Southern China) where this plant is also found, and long time ago there were also people coming to Java and Bali from India to teach Hindu. So distribution via human's interaction is also possible.

Yes, I have access to these trees.

Bijanto of all people ;) You actually believe that shit?

:)

Edited by coin

Hi Coin, actually I don't believe in the healing properties things... but I really like the beauty of the seeds and the rich ethnobotanical uses of this plant, and I also see some business opportunity where I could possibly get some poor local people here to produce necklaces from these seeds and export them to India, as Ive read that its getting harder to find these seeds there due to intensive industries.

Edited by -bijanto-

I see :-) You're funny bijanto .. Was just wondering why you posted this. Well at least they are beautiful :rolleyes: ... local industry is always a good thing :-) I'm not sure how any money can be made by anyone from these seeds, because locally these are sold as necklaces / bracelets = malas (beads for meditation counting) are really very cheap, aside from the rarer faceted beads. But most people have no idea about fake beads (the rarer faceted seeds) and just don't care. The middle-man will always make the most money from mark-up.

I was just joking around by the way ... didn't mean any disrespect :-)

What are the rich ethnobotanical uses? You mean naive folklore? ;)

I don't know a lot about these seeds, but it is said that wearing the seeds is said to help alleviate high blood pressure and anxiety. I suppose you think that is bullshit? :-) I think some ppl may soak them in water overnight, then drink the water.

Coin

Edited by coin

I have wanted a simple necklace with a single rudrakasha bead with maybe a tight wire loop on either side to keep it in place... I quite like the colour and the mythology.

No idea about ethnobotanical uses.

I made a thread asking for such a thing in seed and plant exchange not long ago bijanto...do you do requests like the one above? :)

Edited by apothecary

I see :-) You're funny bijanto ..
Why is that funny?
Was just wondering why you posted this. Well at least they are beautiful

Not only they're beautiful but also used a lot by Hindus, Muslims and Buddhists. Therefore this plant has a strong ethnobotanical uses. This is the forum of ethnobotany, right? I post whatever I think useful for other ppl's knowledge especially on ethnobotanical plants, not necessarily to earn money. Somebody who want some of these seeds will get them from me - free of charge :lol:

I'm not sure how any money can be made by anyone from these seeds, because locally these are sold as necklaces / bracelets = malas (beads for meditation counting) are really very cheap
Then sell on ebay. Use imagination. Create artistic items. The value will add. The price will triple.
What are the rich ethnobotanical uses? You mean naive folklore? ;)

You mean naive or native? By "rich", I mean its part of the culture, including religion and healing art. When someone is dealing with ethnobotany its not important what he/she thinks. Bullshit or not its still part of their culture, just like when we are dealing with amazonian shamanic art of healing for example.

I don't know a lot about these seeds, but it is said that wearing the seeds is said to help alleviate high blood pressure and anxiety. I suppose you think that is bullshit? :-) I think some ppl may soak them in water overnight, then drink the water.

Maybe yes and maybe no, I havent tried it. Just because we dont believe it doesnt mean it wont work for other people. Believing is half part of healing, if someone is under a medication (whether be it traditional or modern medication) and he/she has a strong belief in the healer and the medicine wholeheartedly, it will help healing faster, and such person is a lucky person.

Edited by -bijanto-

Hi apothecary, if youre interested in seeds just pm me with addy. Ive just collected some fruits (see the picture above) and now I'm fermenting them to make it easier to clean the seeds. Its gonna take a little while before the seeds are ready. I'm new to these seeds, anyone has any information on finishing method?

By the way, I think there is some bias re. the definition of ethnobotany in this forum. I think ethnobotany is not only dealing with plants that make you "high". Its dealing with the use of plants by people, whether as food, medicine, clothes, jewellery, ceremonial items, etc.

those are wicked looking berries.

not mad on the seeds, could look okay all strung up

cheers for info bijanto

I'm sorry Bijanto -- I was just joking around ;-)

As for rudraksha beads...they are easily available and very cheap here... perhaps you should mention what sort of seeds you have come across (i.e. how many facets??) -- but I assumed it was always the local retailer making money and not the people who actually make the malas (in Australia it is stores selling crystals, incense, AuraSoma products and books about chakras ;)).

The price is increased by promising that rudraksha beads with a particular numbers of facets are particularly useful for 'x' disorder, or saying that these rudraksha beads with 'x' number of facets are quite rare. i.e. good marketing...not quite accurately based on traditional belief... but traditional knowledge is far more interesting -- i do agree

Supposedly there are a lot of fake rudraksha around (ie manufactured bead being passed off as the rarer faceted beads) -- but I've found in Australia that there is not much knowledge of what is valuable or rare, or even what rudraksha beads are, and so I've never seen fakes (that I know of). Just the common beads in the form of malas.

Personally I always assume there may be some validity to folk medicine before making an opinion...all that I found amusing was that you seem to make opinions before testing or researching validity. :) I am the other way round, and maybe there's no difference ;) ??

I personally don't think there is a bias on the definition of ethnobotany in these forums ... there is just a natural inclination of young ones (and not so young ones) exploring altered states... something that has frustrated me a bit in the past, and only a little bit right now :)

There's nothing to apologise for, Coin. This is only a discussion. Also thank's for your info. So how cheap is the price of a rudraksha malas in Australia / Melbourne?

The main reason I post this topic is because a few days ago I collected some Ganitri seeds and suddenly I remember apothecary's previous thread mentioning his interest on these seeds. So I thought why not start a discussion on its ethnobotany. It doesn't necessarily represent my opinion, merely a compilation from other sources (I mentioned the sources). My own bit is the italicized text under the fruit picture. If you read carefully, I did mentioned that "Hindus believe that rudraksha beads have healing properties and that they affect the human body..etc", but I'm not a Hindu.

[edit]I dont believe I can heal myself by wearing the beads, but I believe in the power of self-suggestion in healing, ie the mental act of inducing a strong belief within yourself. So its not only a matter of valid or not valid in this case, I just think that such tradition is unique and worth some appreciation. As for the healing effectiveness, I'd say it may work for some people because they believe it so much, which is, a significant part of healing.

Like apothecary, I like the appearance of the seeds but havent got chance to do a more detailed observation on the mukhis of my seeds, as they're still inside the fruits being fermented for cleaning.

Edited by -bijanto-

Thanks Bijanto :)

There are a couple Eleocarpus planted outside an old apartment building up the road from my place...I've been wondering what they were for years. The blue of the fruits is quite beautiful. While i noticed the seeds were not unlike the ones id seen on some malas, I never put it together.

ATM there's fruit all over the ground, and I wouldn't mind collecting the seeds...would be most appreciative if you could share any advice/info on how best to clean them...if you figure it out/ find it.

Something that digests the fruit? hmmm

Pineapple (bromelain) does protein right....but a fruit would be starch? cellulose? And by the look of em, they're a bit oily too...What readily available natural products could one use to break those down?

i like these seeds very nice, coin if you know whereabouts in melbounre can you please let me know

i have no idea where the new agey shops are in melbounre, which is a good thing.

i don't either but have seen them in the theosophical society bookstore (russell st melbourne)..they have a few different kinds of malas and various stones/gems etc

i don't remember the price..full size has 108 beads, some have half that, others have less that can fit on the wrist, i may go in on the weekend so will take a look

Edited by coin

Wandjina your posting intrigues me, so I get this book, a translated version of "De Nuttige Planten Van Indonesia" (Useful Plants of Indonesia) by K. Heyne, and here's what I've found:

"Ripe fruits taste a bit like wine (or a beverage made of grape), sometimes are eaten by kids, but mostly are eaten by cattle, so the seeds may be cleaned this way (through animals' digestion). The book says if the fruit is allowed to rot, the seed will look unattractive, but if the fruit is eaten by cattle and the seed is taken from their poo, the seed will become beautifully brown and thus considered more valuable. The colour can be made more attractive by soaking the seeds in sea water. Bigger seeds are less valuable than smaller seeds. Javanese people use some technique to get equally small seeds from the tree, ie blocking the flow of nutrition to the fruits. This is done by using a sharp knife. Secondary and Tertiary branches are sliced partially so that the nutrition supply to the fruits will be reduced but not completely cut off.

The harvested fruits will then be fermented for 48 hours and then punched or rubbed to remove the pulp, and then washed and dried. The preferred colours are brown-red with yellowish lines, and pale yellow. Darker-coloured-seeds and less-rounded-seeds are less preferred.

According to Altheer, these seeds are washed with hot water, and then polished with lijnolie (linseed Oil, flax seed oil), and tied with gold or silver for jewelleries."

Wandjina, I'd be glad if you could collect some seeds and post a picture here.

Yes the pulp looks starchy and oily, perhaps the species you see is the same as MORGs ?

Edited by -bijanto-

Very interesting, thanks again bijanto. :)

No cattle round here unfortunately...I wonder what/who else might be persuaded to eat them?

Ill collect some soon and post photos...

Edited by wandjina