The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Giant penis-shaped flower stinks out gardens

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200611/s1779480.htm

The world's largest and smelliest flower has opened in a pong of glory in Sydney's Royal Botanic Gardens today.

The Titan Arum is a native of Indonesia and its botanical name, Amorphophallus titanum, means very large, deformed, penis.

It can grow up to three metres tall and has a banana like pale yellow wrinkled centre and a claret coloured frilly skirt.

Botanic Garden spokesman Dr Tim Entwisle says it smells like rotting flesh and today is the best day to see and smell it. People actually queue up to saviour its stench.

"We've only had this on display once before - the first time we'd ever had it two years ago, the only complaints I got was that it didn't smell bad enough," he said.

"It's a strange thing, particularly little kids love it and you can put it head close to it and it really does smell a bit off.

"That's what it does out in Indonesia where it grows, so it can attract these flies in to pollinate it."

Mr Entwisle says the flower has opened early this year because the tropical centre is warmer than normal.

He says it has nothing to do with global warming.

did u just post that because it has "penis" in it?

You caught me again :P

Heard it on jjj this morning and thought it'd be a good story to post.

(they said phallus on the radio)

Edited by apothecary

Amorphophallus titanum and A.hewittii used to be the same spcies, but are now regarded separate. Both are of equal size. We occasionally sell A.hewittii. Seed sells for about $50 on ebay (each seed).

I'm detecting some bias here....

Clitoria_mariana2.jpg

mmmmmmmmmhhhhhhhhhhh......... clitoria...yum...

homer_simpson_drool.jpg

Edited by gomaos

I see your Clitoria and raise you a Phallus

104_Fungus_EB.jpg

heheh...that's the problem though...there's just not that many plants that look like female genitalia, well, there's loads of flowers, but they're all labia if you know what i mean :P ...besides, for some reason phallic plants are much more amusing

nature_penis.jpg