The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Brain-boost drugs 'to be common'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4678895.stm

Healthy people, including children, might one day take drugs to boost their intelligence, scientists predict.

The think-tank Foresight, outlined the scenario in an independent report looking at potential developments over the next 20 years.

Such "cognitive enhancers" could become as "common as coffee", they suggest.

Scientists did not rule out children taking exams facing drug tests, as sportsmen do, to see if any have taken 'performance enhancing substances'.

The report was compiled by 50 experts, who set out their predictions for the next two decades.

More consideration

Some drugs are already known to aid mental performance.

It's possible that these new drugs will be the new coffee

Professor Trevor Robbins, University of Cambridge

Ritalin, now prescribed to children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), has already been used by some students to improve their performance in exams.

Modafinil, used now to treat sleep disorders, has been shown to help people remember numbers more effectively.

It can also make people think more carefully before making decisions.

There is also a type of molecule called ampakins, which enhance the way some chemical receptors in the brain work, suggesting drugs could be developed to improve people's memory when they are tired.

The Foresight report states: "In a world that is increasingly non-stop and competitive, the individual's use of such substances may move from the fringe to the norm, with cognition enhancers used as coffee is today".

But the availability of such drugs would open up a range of social and ethical questions, including whether it should be permitted for people to use them to gain advantage over others.

How they should be monitored would also be an issue.

Regulation

Scientists said it could raise issues about what substances children undertaking exams could use.

Professor Trevor Robbins, of the Department of Experimental Psychology at the University of Cambridge, who helped compile the report, said: "No one minds very much about people taking vitamins to make them do a little bit better.

"But taking a natural, or unnatural, substance in exams might cause some ethical problems along the lines that we have in sport."

Professor Gerry Stimson, an expert in the sociology of health behaviour at Imperial College London, who also helped compile the report, said: "Would this be putting people at a fair advantage, or an unfair advantage?

"It is permitted to take drugs for therapeutic reasons, but you would need a regulatory framework for well people."

But the scientists say the drugs could become commonplace.

Professor Robbins said: "You have to look 20 years into the future.

"It's possible that these new drugs will be the new coffee, if you like, and taken by a broad range of individuals."

The report also looks at potential for vaccines against addictions to nicotine or cocaine, which would offer treatments for addicts by blocking the effects of the drug in the body.

It also looked at the potential for drugs to treat or delay the progress of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases.

Sir David King, chief scientific advisor to the government, who oversaw the project, said "By examining challenging issues, such as brain science and addiction, scientists can help inform the government and others by building a strong scientific evidence base.

"This will provide the best platform to help us prepare for the future."

I dont like all this talk about them being 'the next coffee' :angry:

I'd want to mix them IN with coffee :lol:

But seriously if drugs were developed that actually had a profound effect (much stronger than ginkgo or brahmi) and it became a problem in academia I'd say allow it for study sessions but not for actual exams. After all exams are testing your knowledge and capacity and its unlikely people would be on the drug 24/7 for the rest of their life after the test.

...there was a typo in that news story, 'ampakins' should read 'ampakines'

keep an eye out for the ampakines, they'll be coming out in the next few years. these will be the next big things in cognitive enhancement.

i've never bought into this "ethics" debate about performance enhancing drugs. they claim that such drugs give you an unfair advantage over others, but i don't think things are equal to begin with. people who have a computer and go to a private school have a distinct advantage over those who don't. all this does is add a new dimension to the competition.

I was looking around yesterday and typed 'nootropics' into wikipedia and was suprised as to how much info was actually there. Not a bad place to start, or at least give you some good ideas.

nootropics are fabulous, qhi.co.uk is good. Adrafinil is great for study but tends to have a tolerance buildup fast. Modafinil is ment to be fantastic if your willing to pay 11.50 a 100mg pill. 300mg a day being the recommended dosage!!!! :P

Modafinil is ment to be fantastic if your willing to pay 11.50 a 100mg pill. 300mg a day being the recommended dosage!!!!

domestic modafinil goes by the name of nuvigil is but expensive like a mother-fuck. i feel for those who have narcolepsy and actually have to pay that price!

have a look for modalert, this is the cheaper generic made by sun pharma, you can probably get it down to $1 per 200 mg. i got mine bulk from a company in india, i don't normally do this because they can always give you a fake COA that says it's 99.9% pure, but seems to do the trick nicely

man that is cheap!!! was it real though???

do you still have the link to india? im interested in getting some for nxt semester at uni, its a SSRI as well.

having tried both the patent and generic i can say that modalert was of the same quality, but others seem to think it's inferior (i think that's all bullshit). india has a pretty good pharmaceutical industry.

for powder, i don't remember the exact place but if you go to www.alibaba.com you'll be able to find a few. when you contact them just explain that you want a sample to test the quality. this is risky, if you don't trust their quality control i'd recommend going for the generic modalert tabs cos sun pharma is pretty reputable.

isnt modafinal a prescription only drug in aus?

has anyone had problems importing? can get 50grms for about 120 euro but dont want to get introuble for importing that much!!

Charaka claimed that shankhahpushpi (Convulvulus pluricaulis) was the prime herb for cognition, retention and recollection (Charaka samhita)

PM me for prepared formula for study/exam purposes (brahmi, shankapushpi, calamus optional, ashwagandha, licorice, rose, etc)

50g for 120 euro is aswesome, thatsequivilant to $5750 at aust price!!! for 290ish euro thats a semesters worth. can i grab that link? alibaba.com is awesome link, cheers brotha

reading the first i instantly rmembered glen robbins on the comady company many years ago.

he was answering all the question after one word was spoken in a skit ripping of sale of the century.

he was later disqaulfied for taking anabolic smartoids.

one of the best comady skits he made, apart from uncle aurthur.

interesting find tho..

Charaka claimed that shankhahpushpi (Convulvulus pluricaulis) was the prime herb for cognition, retention and recollection (Charaka samhita)

I've heard this before. It seems odd tho, I cant seem to sort the names. Is it two seperate species? :huh:

Google only gave 531 results for "Convolvulus pluricaulis" and just 102 results for "Convolvulus prostratus" (C. pluricaulis is listed as a synonym of C. prostratus) and its called simply "Shankhpushpi".

At the same time "Shankhpushpi" is more commonly quoted as Evolvulus alsinoides, which has a synonym Convolvulus alsinoides but apparently is Not a synonym of C. prostratus/pluricaulis.

And some sites on ayurvedic plants dont even mention it specifically for cognitive effects but rather just stuff like tonic and febrifuge.

Whats the go man?

Has anyone grown either species and tested for activity?

why stop there - perhaps vasopressin can be the new hangover cure...

I personally think there will be a serious backlash against it if memory enhancing drugs do become very potent and popular. Alot of people beleive anything that is a "drug" is bad. My mother for instance is scared of anything she doesnt understand. So as common as coffee, no chance in hell!