The Corroboree
AndyAmine.

Any chance of a spell checker?

Hi Torsten,

Is there any chance we could get a spell-checker added for when writing posts/PMs?

Its no secret that I could really use this feature :blush: and Im guessing there are plenty of others out there too?

Thanks in advance. :)

I very much doubt a spell checker will ever be offered by a forum software, because these programs are used all over the world in all languages. Do you know any forum that has one?

maybe you can get a spell chcker as part of a browser addition, like a toolbar or something like that?

http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/

What is SpellBound?

SpellBound is a port of the spellchecker code and user interface

from the Mozilla Suite's Composer that enables spell checking

in web forms such as html textarea / input elements (html input

password elements are not checked by SpellBound) and rich

text form elements. This allows you to spell check forms (e.g.

message board posts, blog entries, wysiwyg, etc.) before

submitting them when using your Mozilla Firefox or Mozilla Suite

browser.

ho neeedz a slpell checkr?

I typ[e so welll, everyp one can underwrtadnd wot i sayu

Try it on your Invision Power Board v2.1.7 ??

yes, very possible.

I am just wondering if it wouldn't be smarter for people who need a checker to have one as part of their browser rather than adding complexity to the forum software.

So, I'll have a look at how it works and how easy it is to implement and then we'll see what is a better option.

also, IPB is pretty close to a major release, so even if it works now, it may not work for the new one in a few weeks time.

The old saying

"Everyone mistakes, that's what the Edit button (sic) is for!"

If the software can handle a system where genus and species are entered in correctly in the database of words, would be great for search functions later down the track.

Have found that a lot of information is not presented when performing the search function because someone has mispelt the genus or species name.

Yeah, that wouldn't hurt at all Tripitaka, would it? Those ae's and ie's and ea's all get confusing... :lol:

Perhaps, and this would probably be asking too much, but perhaps the mods could edit those mispellings they see?

Hi Guys,

actually this is a good idea. But i doubt you can find a spell checker which is mighty enough for my englisch. Don´t blame me in case it´s damaged one day.I´ve told you in Advance :innocent_n:

i edit more than i post. I could need one mod for myself.

Edited by Evil Genius

I do encourage mods to correct botanical name spelling wherever possible. I don't think this is easily implemented in a spell checker unless someone has a full botanical name database.

btw, mods can edit topic titles too, so these should always be spelled corrrectly to make searching and browsing easier

If the software can handle a system where genus and species are entered in correctly in the database of words, would be great for search functions later down the track.

I think you mean incorrectly not in correctly. The are completely antonymous. Hehe. But yeah, I think this is the one situation where spell check would be good, because otherwise we can miss something when we search because either we, or the original poster have spelt the name incorrectly.

Anyway, I kind of think that misspelling in posts adds character and make the poster seem more real, so I don't mind when it's not botanical names. Most mistakes that make posts unintelligable or ambiguous are grammatical anyway. Besides, if the spelling of the word makes it ambiguous as to what word they meant to write, then the spellchecker will have issues anyway. A lot of people who use spellcheck end up choosing the completely wrong word. It's better for the reader to see that the person had trouble spelling the word and try to figure it out via context than to see a perfectly spelt word that doesn't quite make sense in that context and try to figure out if that's what the poster really meant to say or not.

haha, yeah the difference a comma makes!! You get the idea though! :bootyshake:

I think you mean incorrectly not in correctly. The are completely antonymous. Hehe.

Hmm, I think the 'in' is connected to the entered rather than the correctly. Otherwise the sentence doesn't make anys ense. What would be the point of entering a list of INcorrect botanical names into the spellchecker database? The sentence probably reads best with the in omitted entirely.

Hmm, I think the 'in' is connected to the entered rather than the correctly. Otherwise the sentence doesn't make anys ense. What would be the point of entering a list of INcorrect botanical names into the spellchecker database? The sentence probably reads best with the in omitted entirely.

I think he meant that if you fuck up the name (enter it incorrectly), if the system can handle it, then it should show you results where it was spelt correctly. And maybe correct results where it is spelt incorrectly in the original post, therefore showing up in subsequent correctly spelt searches. Torsten, I'll answer your question with another question. What would be the point in having a system that handles correct input? Isn't that what we have already?

That's just what I think he meant. I could be wrong. But this highlights where ambiguities arise, and also illustrates my point that a spellchecker is essentially useless, as this is the type of mistake that causes the most confusion, and is one that could not be picked up by a spellchecker.

EDIT: Having reread it a couple of times, it does make more sense the way you interpereted it. I was thinking of incorrect input to the spellcheck (automated during a search), not correct spelling for the database.

Edited by ballzac

LOL, now that I have convinced you, you have also convinced me :wacko:

Maybe tomorrow we can argue this the opposite way round :P

Or maybe we should just wait till tripi tells us what exactly he meant.

I am really not that fussed about spelling of most words. eg, my spelling is pretty good, but my typing sucks, so I make lots of typos. I really couldn't be asses running all posts through a spell checker to fix typos though. if I am really fussy I just read my post before submitting it and fix them as I read.

What really does bug me is botanical names though. not paying attention to them is short sighted and lazy. I would almost like to install a spell checker that *forces* a botanical name spell check before submission. But that seems way beyond software capabilities.

Or maybe we should just wait till tripi tells us what exactly he meant.

haha, didn't know a simple comment would lead to this :blink:

If the software can handle a system where genus and species are entered in correctly, into a database of words, it would be great for search functions later down the track.

try this! MM

What I meant was, spellcheckers usually have an input function where you can preload words into a databank, hence the entered in, correctly, as oppossed to entered incorrectly.

One must enter in data! Capiche?? :shroomer:

Okay, so Torsten was right the first time. And no comma is required, just drop the "in" as Torsten said. In this context enter means "put in", so what you are saying is "put in in".

I feel like we're going off topic by picking on your post, but this is actually quite relevant.

LOL, I hope the spellcheker can also identify and delete superfluous and confusing adpositions, or at least decide whether they are prepositions or postpositions. Oh wait, that would be a grammar checker :P

What about a thread clutter checker?? :rolleyes:

Firefox V2.0, http://www.mozilla.com now has a spell checker that works in the text input fields.

If any members here have programming skills, they can create a plug-in for Firefox, specially for this site to perform a specific function.

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Extensions

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Building_an_Extension

here was me thinking there was a spell check installed into the forums here recently....but i just installed firefox 2?? red-underlines for the term "firefox" ;) what's going on?? ;)

Edited by coin