The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Urban Shamanism

So not all of us live in a garden of Eden like darcy, and some of us can't afford our own mountain like Torsten.

Hell some of us don't even live where you can always see a patch of green.

So sourcing interesting, wild plants can be a bit of a different experience. For one, not only do we have to worry about finding the right plant, but also we gotta worry about it being next to a road or growing in some runoff or something.

The goal of this thread is to show the interesting side of the 'Concrete Jungle', and the wildcrafting you can do therein.

Everyone should feel free to post photos from their urban jungle, but remember, if it's growing by the highway or on a pile of garbage, it's probably not good for a lot!

Trachelospermum jasminoides:

This one is freaking huge. During winter when the foliage thins a bit you can see just how thick the branches of it are, not to mention all that tempting bark.

Sida rhombifolia:

Grows wherever there's enough clay it seems.

This plant is immune to glysophate spraying. Oh sure, the leaves will drop off:

But don't expect them to not grow back! Look at the size of this things stem...imagine the roots! :drool:

Datura sp.:

Around here we have two kinds growing wild. D. stramonium and D. ferox.

In amongst other urban weeds you can spot new Spring germinations

Here is the giant ferox from last season, the gardeners finally got to it around the end of Spring (another hazard of Urban Shamanism, you don't want to be ingesting plant material that recently got sprayed!)

Lactuca sp.:

Plenty of this growing all over the place. I find the easiest thing to do with these if you plan to harvest them is to uproot and take them home for replanting!

Trust me I could've brought a lot more photos for this one! :P

Nelumbo and Nymphaea sp.:

This pond is home to yellow, purple, white, blue flowers, I make all my extracts and smoking mixes using the stamens and petals of the white

More photos of this to come later in the season!

Oh yeah and let's keep in mind people, these are all photos from public land!

Don't be taking stuff from peoples gardens!

Looking forward to see what the other cities have on offer in their urban jungles...

SA/VIC Peganum harmala, Sida cordifolia

Perth Catha edulis

...are the ones that come to mind most readily!

WTF.....

Umm I must be tripping? :blink:

In the sixth lot of pics down in the second pic.

I swear thats a cobra standing in the middle of the goddamn pic :blink:

Looks like a skink lizard to me :shroomer:

OIC I was looking at the wrong pic ;-)

Edited by mescalito

Great idea Apo! And well done.

I look forward to contributing and seeing others contributions.

Well blow me, I had bought a Chinese Star Jasmine several months ago without knowing it was an ibogaine source!! At first it was in the greenhouse and thrived but I put it outside in a kind of indignant way once my ethnobotanicals started displacing it. I had no idea about its potential.

Nevertheless, it's grown amazingly well since.

I noticed huge plantings of it up at the lookout at Mt Cootha in beds and borders, althought they were pruned/trained plants.

Man where is Rev these days? He was the one who inspired this thread!

Man where is Rev these days? He was the one who inspired this thread!

His website shop was bizarrely redirecting www.funkyfungus.org towards OZStoners forum yesterday and I PM'd him about it. Today it seems to be giving an error instead and Rev hasn't replied.

well i heard today from another member here that revs computer has taken a turn for the worst and he is enjoying the time with out it. :)

I dont think he will mind me telling you, Rev is at Indy this weekend, so wont be getting back to anyone for at least a couple of days :)

man this is an awesome thread... a great place to post some pics that dont warrent there own thread...

theres gold in them suburban wastelands!

ill start with the bruggy patch:

post-507-1161521628_thumb.jpg

post-507-1161521720_thumb.jpg

post-507-1161521832_thumb.jpg

Awesome :drool: ,thanks for sharing that one E!

post-70-1161586378_thumb.jpgdon't know what this is, but it looks interressting. i remeber a post regarding this or a similar plant. i will post a pic of the other one in question soon...post-70-1161585881_thumb.jpgwild lettuce, the sap gives you lettuce opium, which is mildly narcotic.post-70-1161585398_thumb.jpgwild dagga, pic showes very small specimens, normaly with some rain they get up to 3m tall, use the leaves and the orange flowerspost-70-1161584786_thumb.jpgprickly poppy, uses the leaves or milk the pods, never use the seeds.

100_0412.JPG

100_0415.JPG

100_0414.JPG

100_0413.JPG

100_0412.JPG

100_0415.JPG

100_0414.JPG

100_0413.JPG

post-70-1161586378_thumb.jpgdon't know what this is, but it looks interressting. i remeber a post regarding this or a similar plant.

I do beleive thats Clitoria ternatea which has reported nootropic effects from the root.

I tried to grow it this year but it never flowered :( maby it'll survive winter.

thx, for that id auxin!

Clitoria ternatea and the CNS

by

Jain NN, Ohal CC, Shroff SK, Bhutada RH,

Somani RS, Kasture VS, Kasture SB.

Natural Products Laboratory,

M.V.P. Samaj's College of Pharmacy,

422 002, Nashik, India

Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2003 Jun;75(3):529-36

ABSTRACT

The present investigation was aimed at determining the spectrum of activity of the methanolic extract of Clitoria ternatea (CT) on the CNS. The CT was studied for its effect on cognitive behavior, anxiety, depression, stress and convulsions induced by pentylenetetrazol (PTZ) and maximum electroshock (MES). To explain these effects, the effect of CT was also studied on behavior mediated by dopamine (DA), noradrenaline, serotonin and acetylcholine. The extract decreased time required to occupy the central platform (transfer latency, TL) in the elevated plus maze (EPM) and increased discrimination index in the object recognition test, indicating nootropic activity. The extract was more active in the object recognition test than in the EPM. The extract increased occupancy in the open arm of EPM by 160% and in the lit box of the light/dark exploration test by 157%, indicating its anxiolytic activity. It decreased the duration of immobility in tail suspension test (suggesting its antidepressant activity), reduced stress-induced ulcers and reduced the convulsing action of PTZ and MES. The extract exhibited tendency to reduce the intensity of behavior mediated via serotonin and acetylcholine. The effect on DA- and noradrenaline-mediated behavior was not significant. In conclusion, the extract was found to possess nootropic, anxiolytic, antidepressant, anticonvulsant and antistress activity. Further studies are necessary to isolate the active principle responsible for the activities and to understand its mode of action.

Yeah I think MORG started a thread on it ph, some other references you might not have seen in there :)

spelling edit

Edited by apothecary

Interesting PH those dagga's have the same flowers but different leaves to the ones i found.

Heres some shots of a type of passionflower i found today, Wild dagga in the background:

Close up of flower:

Bee in dagga :)

post-858-1161937918_thumb.jpg

post-858-1161937936_thumb.jpg

post-858-1161937948_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chemakazi

I think yours is Leonotis leonurus Chem, while the one ph posted is nepaetifolia.

be aware if you are growing var. nepaetifolia, it definetely has weed potential!

This stuff has taken over my garden and is a pain in da ass!

be aware if you are growing var. nepaetifolia, it definetely has weed potential!

shit yeah it does! but as far as weeds go its ok with me, at least its useful! along with mex poppie, sida spp, delesperma sp! how cool would it be if everything that grew in our gardens was used :drool: