The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Red Savina

Progress!

How you harvest for seeds?

Two on the left will be for seed two on the right dried for cooking.

How you dry for cooking? :P

I dry my chillies slowly over 3 or 4 days with plenty of airflow in a cabinet.For warmth I use a 60w light bulb and a computer fan and spread them on suspended shadecloth in the airflow...or you could just string'em up outside the traditional way!

Being a fruit it's actually still alive after it's picked for quite some time and the enzymes will work to make them more flavoursome just watch for mould.If you fast dry them with too much heat(dehydrator)they'll lose some of the nice fruit flavour and colour but they'll still be hot!

For the ones you want seed from slice them open and dry in the same way=less touching to get the seeds out and inadvertently rubbing your eye :wink:

I like food handling poly-gloves,Iatex blisters my skin as I found out in my teens :blush:

Because you only have a small number (i'm assuming that's all of them), you can probbaly just leave them to dry on a table or whatever. I normally dry all my chillis and then take a few seeds from the dry ones to plant. Seems to be the best way to get seeds.

It is all of them.

The seed provided to me from overseas was not very vigorous, so hopefully the next time this plant flowers it'll be a bit bigger :)

For the ones you want seed from slice them open and dry in the same way=less touching to get the seeds out and inadvertently rubbing your eye :wink:

You warned me and I was retarded enough not to listen and now my eye is in serious pain.

Just wait until you go to the bathroom :o

And don't think that washing your hands with soap is always gonna get it off your hands.

I think rubbing some oil on your hands before handling them will help to keep the capsaicin off the skin and will help wash it off more easily.

Game enough to just stick one of those in your mouth? :P

Edited by Qhorakuna tantani

ROTFLMAO insympathy of cousrse :lol:

Yeah QtT is right it's an oil so use oil to dilute.Same as mechanics do.

Poor bastard :P

Yeah Auxin chilie willy's pretty harsh!!

ROTFLMAO in sympathy of course :lol:

Yeah QT is right it's an oil so use oil to dilute.Same as mechanics do.

Poor bastard :P

Yeah Auxin chilie willy's pretty harsh!!

Edited by mescalito

It is all of them.

The seed provided to me from overseas was not very vigorous, so hopefully the next time this plant flowers it'll be a bit bigger :)

Hi Apo

Now you probably understand why I couldnt spare any seed

when you were looking for this chilli.Apparently red savina is

known for poor germination,thats the way it was for me also.I got only a few plants

from the seed I sourced

My plants didnt take off until the second year when I got a lot more fruit.

For the ones you want seed from slice them open and dry in the same way=less touching to get the seeds out and inadvertently rubbing your eye .

I slice them to dry but once I rinsed the knife I had used under hot water

and as an afterthought smelled the knife to see if the capsaicin had washed off,

it had,nt,my nasal passges burned for ages lol.

Dont underestimate the power of the savina.

Game enough to just stick one of those in your mouth?

Dont do this,it is possible to die from respitory distress(cant breath).

metho is great for removing capsaicin, as is spirits for the mouth. My advise is cut in to pieces and remove all the seeds, tweezers are good, that way you got more seeds to grow. The seeds do add anything really so they wont be missed :)