The Corroboree
Chemakazi

EBA Reborn

Well fuck it.

Looks like we are back to square one, but like I said from the very beginning, I am not giving up on this.

At the very least I will manage to somehow put EBA back online as an archive and host a complementary new forum.

SIGH :BANGHEAD2: . this is a joke, chemikazi is just as slack as eccles, but with an added twist of self-righteous jerk.

Let me put google ads on the site, and I'll have it up and running on my dedicated server in an afternoon. Even without a db dump.

Hell, I might just go register ethnobotany-australia.cc right now and google bomb it to the top of the rankings. I can pull most of the older posts from cache/wayback. Don't even need a chemikazi or an eccles to bring the EBA community back to life.

See chemikazi, you're not needed, so either stop being a sook and GET SOME HELP from the millions of us who have offered, or we'll just bypass you altogether. Cheers!

There have been a few suggestions that I meddled in the whole EBA thing or that I put too much pressure on chemikazi, so I thought I'd post the FULL extent of our communications for everyone to make up their own mind. Please note that this was in view of apothecary offering to co-admin or even host EBA, an offer he has been repeating for many many months. It would have been nice if apothecary had been included in the admin group, but that was not really the issue. The issue was to have a multi admin so that no one admin can shut the whole thing down like eccles did and now chem also did. Apothecary was just a good option because he had the skills, the hadware and the finances. My offers and involvement were a reaction to the threats chem made about not putting EBA back up a few weeks ago. If it hadn't been for those threats I would not have gotten involved as I was confident that EBA would be back up soon.

There is luckily no personal or sensitive information in these PMs, so absolutely no editing had to be done.

My text is in normal font and chem's is in bold.

------------------------------------------------------------

sometime before Feb 12 2007, 09:19 PM [sorry, copied this from a reply so only have the reply stamp]

let me know what financial support you need for eba. i prefer to reimburse for past expenses rather than future ones as that makes it clear that I have no involvement and that EBA is in no way dependent on me.

I hope you can get a joint admin thign going asap, where no one single admin can lock the other out - preferably.

also, sobriquet has pointed out that the old forum is still being posted to. there really aren't enough pointers to the new forum. It's really important to send a clear message that the new forum is where the action is at and that the old one is history. I hate to suggest this but I think the best option is to somehow kill the old forum if you can. If you have access to admin, maybe disable posting ability to everyone except admin and mods.

I really liked it the way things were with both sab and eba and would really like to help to get it back to that. People do weird things when their options are limited.

anyway, let me know how I can help.

T

-------------------------------------------

Feb 12 2007, 09:19 PM

High Torsten,

The money side of things is ok for now but thanks for your offer, its appreciated. Evil genius was kind enough to make a donation to my paypal so its all cool. I decided at the end of the yea to do a small fund raiser to pay for the costs each year, it worked before but eccles um.. well i dunno what he did with it.

Ive thought about killing .net but what i did was locked all the forums, created a new forum EBA HAS MOVED TO WWW.ETHNOBOTANY-AUSTRALIA.NET as the only usable forum so hopefull people will understand (lol u would hope so anyway) The forums there are really screwed, i cant even hide the existing forums, its all buggy. Take a look if u want, it should work.

The admin thing im working on, im just gonna take my time to pick a suitable and reliable crew so theres no problems, it will extend past the forum permissions but also to ftp aswell.

sobriquet seems a strange person, he joined up on eba to well, put shit on you, then he deleted his account. strange one thats for sure, i didnt even have to ban him lol

--------------------------------------

Feb 12 2007, 10:33 PM

Hey Chem,

The money side of things is ok for now but thanks for your offer, its appreciated.

Anytime things get tight and you don't want to fuck around with a fundraiser just say the word.

Evil genius was kind enough to make a donation to my paypal so its all cool.

He's great. Always helpful.

I decided at the end of the yea to do a small fund raiser to pay for the costs each year, it worked before but eccles um.. well i dunno what he did with it.

Because you already paid for the first year, the fundraiser is more a reimbursement rather than funds for future services. I think that is one of the problems with previous fundraisers, that eccles made future promises for the money which then did not turn out.

Ive thought about killing .net but what i did was locked all the forums, created a new forum EBA HAS MOVED TO WWW.ETHNOBOTANY-AUSTRALIA.NET as the only usable forum so hopefull people will understand (lol u would hope so anyway) The forums there are really screwed, i cant even hide the existing forums, its all buggy. Take a look if u want, it should work.

Yeah, that looks like it shoudl work just fine. I guess the only problem could be if eccles does pop back in and turns things back on.

Anyway, just realsied yesterday that both the SAB and EBA link on the SAB community page still linked to the old forums respectively. I fixed that, so there should be more traffic heading to both our forums now. That pages gets a shitload of hits, so it should definitely make a difference.

The admin thing im working on, im just gonna take my time to pick a suitable and reliable crew so theres no problems, it will extend past the forum permissions but also to ftp aswell.

yeah, ftp is esssential to sort out problems like the situation eccles left you guys in.

good luck.

=======================================

so, to sum up:

* I made it very clear I want nothing to do with EBA, but I am happy to pay for PAST expenses.

* I was supporting a group admin option to avoid exactly the situation he had threatened in a previous post here and that has in the end transpired.

* Chem stated that he was going to establish a group admin and ftp access.

* I helped to drive traffic to EBA

* I gave him moral support when he felt deserted by the community

These PMs and whatever I have written in this thread are the total extent of my EBA related communications with chemikazi.

Draw your own conclusions.

well i cant see how people would of thought you meddled with the whole EBA thing at all, that really is clutching at straws.

people... all torsten ever was at EBA was just another user of the forum and community, just like most people, if not hte majority of people.

hmm strange that was even brought up. Torsten has always been a supporter and active contributor of EBA and i have no idea why people would think contrary.

I really don't understand why money is even a problem. With the amount of hits EBA used to get, tiny unobtrusive google ads would cover hosting costs many times over and noone would even notice them.

Am I the only person here who runs a website with google ads on it? sheesh. It's like we've gone back in time to 1999 and 'hosting a forum' is a big deal. As others have shown you can get FREE forum hosting these days. How do these free hosts cover their costs? Uhh, google ads perhaps?

Just install f-ing phpBB on a $10/month webhost with cpanel, stick in your google code and be done with it!

:BANGHEAD2:

Calm down canzer. Money is not the issue. Hosting a forum is not the issue.

The issue is that nobody except Chem and eccles has access to the old EBA databases, which we kind of want.

Nobody wants phpbb because that's the whole reason EBA got fucked up in the first place.

Anyway. I have sent a letter to eccles. Hopefully he will have something to input into this whole mess very soon.

hebrew - to be honest I am puzzled too. I guess people will always think what they want to think regardless of what the real story is. It's situations like these that let you know who your friends are though.

canzer - the database is the main issue. But both eccles and chem had complained about costs, so I thought I'd chip in, or rather I offered that if they could not find funds they would always be able to fall back on me [this is a standing offer I made to eccles years ago, so repeating it to chemikaze seems the logical thing to do].

phpBB is a bad choice it seems. especially when not well maintained.

google ads? ads used to be a major way to fund community sites in the 90's. Then the tech bubble burst and the lack of tech money meant no one was willing to pay advertising $$. No more banner ads. Many sites went under, but most went privately funded. So, I thought it was funny when you are complaining about self funding being retro, when banner ads are even more retro :P

as for a $10 shared hosting solution, I think you will fidn that they won't keep you for long. Forums are resource hogs and not many hosts will put up with such a large one as EBA for long.

hebrew - to be honest I am puzzled too. I guess people will always think what they want to think regardless of what the real story is. It's situations like these that let you know who your friends are though.

canzer - the database is the main issue. But both eccles and chem had complained about costs, so I thought I'd chip in, or rather I offered that if they could not find funds they would always be able to fall back on me [this is a standing offer I made to eccles years ago, so repeating it to chemikaze seems the logical thing to do].

phpBB is a bad choice it seems. especially when not well maintained.

google ads? ads used to be a major way to fund community sites in the 90's. Then the tech bubble burst and the lack of tech money meant no one was willing to pay advertising $$. No more banner ads. Many sites went under, but most went privately funded. So, I thought it was funny when you are complaining about self funding being retro, when banner ads are even more retro :P

as for a $10 shared hosting solution, I think you will fidn that they won't keep you for long. Forums are resource hogs and not many hosts will put up with such a large one as EBA for long.

heh, you're showing your age torsten! I'm talking about google adsense, not ugly banners. I run quite a few sites with google ads and all of them pay their way. As traffic increases, clicks increase, income increases. It generally evens out. And throw in some contextual adbrite adwords and a few amazon links - you'd probably make a nice profit off a forum with as much public (published) content as EBA. Of course to get this traffic you'd requre the entire back catalog of posts, so we're back at square one. However a new forum like goms would run smoothly on the cheapest $5/month dreamhost deal.

Traffic to EBA would be fairly minimal, especially compared to this site, or any decent blog. I agree phpBB is a security nightmare but it can be locked down fairly well, eccles/chem just never had the time or inclination. Bleh, we've wasted far too much time on this. Time to let it die I think, unfortunately :(

Edited by canzer

However a new forum like goms would run smoothly on the cheapest $5/month dreamhost deal.

That's about the budget it's running on now. ( i think, haven't actually worked it out precisely, but it's something like that)